Things you don’t see anymore

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

Has anyone said the sheet that was the newspaper for your country - haven't seen that in a while.   I guess when cruises start we won't see donated books for cruises to take from the Library.

Several year ago on Princess, the news sheet for the relevant country was delivered to every cabin, then you could only get it if you went to the reception desk and asked. Then it was cut out altogether, except on world cruises because people kept requesting it.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Several year ago on Princess, the news sheet for the relevant country was delivered to every cabin, then you could only get it if you went to the reception desk and asked. Then it was cut out altogether, except on world cruises because people kept requesting it.

As onboard internet gets cheaper and better people will just keep up with news from home online.

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

As onboard internet gets cheaper and better people will just keep up with news from home online.

When I go on the ships, I prefer to not know about the news from home, I like to escape completely and come back new.  On the Princess ships we hardly made a dent in our Elite free internet time. And on lines where we got no free minutes, never used the internet. Never took our mobile phone with us overseas either, yes, we escaped completely.th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

What a waste of a good prawn cocktail., caviar yuk.  On the Princess ships I often had a double shrimp cocktail with that great Princess cocktail sauce, lubbly jubbly.  I made sure I took my Alluprinol Gout tablets, still take them every day, too much uric acid.

download.jpg

Have you tried cherries for ye old gout, brings an attack under control pretty quick. You can get tablets or just in a jar and take a couple of spoonfuls, juice and all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Have you tried cherries for ye old gout, brings an attack under control pretty quick. You can get tablets or just in a jar and take a couple of spoonfuls, juice and all.

Yes mate, I know about the cherries. I have a bottle of Bickfords Cherry juice in my fridge.  But the Alluprinol is best.

bickford-juice-cherry.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

Yes mate, I know about the cherries. I have a bottle of Bickfords Cherry juice in my fridge.  But the Alluprinol is best.

When I was getting it real bad and on medication every day, I’d still get breakthroughs and the cherries really bought it under control quick. My prior GP said that women had told him that gout was worse than childbirth, the pain was pretty much equal but childbirth lasted for a few hours gout for days, and you stood on your feet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

When I was getting it real bad and on medication every day, I’d still get breakthroughs and the cherries really bought it under control quick. My prior GP said that women had told him that gout was worse than childbirth, the pain was pretty much equal but childbirth lasted for a few hours gout for days, and you stood on your feet. 

If I get a gout attack I take Lengout (Colchicine) relieves it in half hour. Yes Gout is a killer. Pain is unbearable.  I rarely eat shellfish these days that attacks me, no oysters, prawns etc.😩

Edited by NSWP

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

If I get a gout attack I take Lengout (Colchicine) relieves it in half hour. Yes Gout is a killer. Pain is unbearable.  I rarely eat shellfish these days that attacks me, no oysters, prawns etc.😩

I didn’t realise there was medication for gout. When I got my first attack on a weekend the chemist told me to drink lots of water. I had

eaten a kilo of prawns!  Lesson learnt. However I love prawns so buy them direct

from trawlers occasionally.  I cook green ones.

20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Having experienced two childbirths and a number of episodes of gout, I don’t think gout is worse than childbirth. And as for a few hours, I wish!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I didn’t realise there was medication for gout. When I got my first attack on a weekend the chemist told me to drink lots of water. I had

eaten a kilo of prawns!  Lesson learnt. However I love prawns so buy them direct

from trawlers occasionally.  I cook green ones.

If you have excessive uric acid, that causes gout, you should not eat prawns or other shellfish like crab, lobster, oysters etc. Even though I am on daily gout medication ...alluprinol, I do not eat shellfish now, I even order my flied lice with no prawns at the chinese restaurant.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

If you have excessive uric acid, that causes gout, you should not eat prawns or other shellfish like crab, lobster, oysters etc. Even though I am on daily gout medication ...alluprinol, I do not eat shellfish now, I even order my flied lice with no prawns at the chinese restaurant.

My doctor told me I would likely get gout

in future because of excessive uric acid and told me foods to avoid. I was going to give the list to my next cruise until I read what

I should avoid!  As I love seafood I just dont

eat as much prawns, certainly not a kilo!

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

My doctor told me I would likely get gout

in future because of excessive uric acid and told me foods to avoid. I was going to give the list to my next cruise until I read what

I should avoid!  As I love seafood I just dont

eat as much prawns, certainly not a kilo!

Soups, Gravies not good either. So is there a meat pie with no gravy?

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

Whilst not something that has disappeared I have this memento from the last Oriana cruise. 

Oriana.jpg

The old Oriana. We were on the newest Oriana in 2016 doing Canary Islands.

When I was on the Fairstar when I was 21, we received a cigarette lighter with Fairstar on it.  I found it when we downsized our home about 7 years ago at the back of a cupboard.   It was so old hat, I threw it out - what a shame I did that but lots of stuff went that way.  Does anyone remember receiving one?

5 hours ago, Rassa said:

When I was on the Fairstar when I was 21, we received a cigarette lighter with Fairstar on it.  I found it when we downsized our home about 7 years ago at the back of a cupboard.   It was so old hat, I threw it out - what a shame I did that but lots of stuff went that way.  Does anyone remember receiving one?

Demonstrates how many people smoked back then.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I really miss being on the open water.

Me too!

Before we did our first ocean cruise I remember wondering how I would feel being completely out of sight of any land. Needless to say I love it!