Updated cdc recommends testing 2 days prior, not 3 days

firefly333

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Viking is the only one I know doing daily tests and they have more staff than pax.

I've read the time celebrity changed to testing everyone at boarding. Have you? People waited outside in line in the hot sun for hours and that got criticized. What the bahamas is requiring and Bermuda is a big reason they cant get people to book.

It's not a easy solution. The ones testing so much have fewer pax. So cut pax? It may come to offering it at the pier at some high price just so people arent left behind and have less stress. 

Who knows. I'm just saying trying to test 2500 at boarding takes too much time. It's getting to where to set sail the cruiselines are losing money..almost free fares to gamblers tells me a lot.

MSC tests in the terminal and it went just fine....waited in the terminal maybe 30 minutes for test results. It can be done

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Regarding Crew Testing: 

Mark received an email last night from Carnival. he was notified that he will be tested, at the quarantine hotel, 3 days prior to boarding.  He assumed he would be tested, but nice to get official message!

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tbjl24 said:

MSC tests in the terminal and it went just fine....waited in the terminal maybe 30 minutes for test results. It can be done

I thought they did.  How long MSC will continue this practice tho  We have a cruise with them in Jan ( first time on MSC)  I got lucky and got an ocean view room without a single supplement.  It's one week after my Mardi Gras cruise, but it's also a family reunion (haven't seen the new babies yet!)  Should be interesting to compare.

Edited by bafinegan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

aWhat a nightmare ! Makes me want to cancel my cruise !! 

Isn't it what we've been doing for last 1.5 years??? I stopped counting  (it's at least 15) how many cruises and other trips I cancelled, rebooked, cancelled again, rebooked, and so on.  I have a trip (not even a cruise) in 3 days and still wonder whether it will occur.

13 hours ago, tbjl24 said:

I think Carnival could figure out a way if they wanted to.  They could give people the option of bringing a copy of a negative test result or testing at the pier.  Most people would try to test ahead of time, so Carnival wouldn't be testing an entire ship full of passengers.  It would be a good backup for people who had issues getting test results in time for the cruise and make people more comfortable with booking a cruise at this time.

• Like 4

Our cruise is on the Mardi Gras October 30th. I scheduled the PCR test for me and my wife on the 28th with Quest Diagnostics at Walmart drive up. If I made it the 29th I may not get the results back before the cruise. No place offers the fast test to book that far in advance. Even the 28th the results may be a problem before the cruise.

44 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Our cruise is on the Mardi Gras October 30th. I scheduled the PCR test for me and my wife on the 28th with Quest Diagnostics at Walmart drive up. If I made it the 29th I may not get the results back before the cruise. No place offers the fast test to book that far in advance. Even the 28th the results may be a problem before the cruise.

CVs and Walgreens can schedule 13 days in advance.  Co-worker had to get a test today for child.  Went on line to CVS in early morning and had PCR test and result before noon.  Should be similar in your area.   The 28th is a good date even if Carnival changes to 2 days vs 3 days. As long as you can get your Quest results by early AM on the 30th, you're close enough to drive up to PC that morning.

Edited by crewsweeper

Are there any stories of people who are within days of their cruise but either couldn't get a test in the required time frame, didn't get results back before embarkation, or had results come back positive a day or two, or even just hours before sailing?  How is it actually handled by the would-be passenger and by the different cruise lines?  I am guessing that is the real concern when discussing the original post.

39 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

CVs and Walgreens can schedule 13 days in advance.  Co-worker had to get a test today for child.  Went on line to CVS in early morning and had PCR test and result before noon.  Should be similar in your area.   The 28th is a good date even if Carnival changes to 2 days vs 3 days. As long as you can get your Quest results by early AM on the 30th, you're close enough to drive up to PC that morning.

CVSin our area ( S Georgia) states up front 3-5 business days.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, balcony bound said:

If I recall correctly, the CSO is now just a guideline, correct?

Best response to this is to have testing available at embarkation and charge us for it.  Testing is nuts right now, and folks are scrambling 3 days before - 2 days feels really anxiety ridden!

We leave in 12 days and have not received an update from Carnival.  Our original email says 3 days! We are hoping to get a rapid test but if we can't there is no way it will be back in 2 days. 

22 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Are there any stories of people who are within days of their cruise but either couldn't get a test in the required time frame, didn't get results back before embarkation, or had results come back positive a day or two, or even just hours before sailing?  How is it actually handled by the would-be passenger and by the different cruise lines?  I am guessing that is the real concern when discussing the original post.

There’s already been denied boarding (believe it was in Alaska) for people coming with no test. There have also been some news stories of people having to find rapid tests locally after showing up at the pier without one.  I think the stress for me comes in where I can do everything right on my end:  Get tested as soon as allowed and not get results back in time or have to scramble after a canceled appt.  We experience cancelled rapids this weekend and struggled to even get a pcr same day.  Luckily not for a cruise. One PCR took 48 hrs ..the other took 36.  If you’re in a hard hit area like Florida..labs are backed up. We’ve had posters scrambling for tests and praying for results to come back for cruises after cancellations of rapids. Go read Saint Greg’s review for one account. 

Edited by BroadwayGirl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

I've heard stories but not seen posts.  And it does appear that test scheduling varies by state and location.   Right now schools are testing all students frequently.

If your state appears to have scheduling delays maybe look into cruise line approved home tests.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drafterdw said:

We leave in 12 days and have not received an update from Carnival.  Our original email says 3 days! We are hoping to get a rapid test but if we can't there is no way it will be back in 2 days. 

Look into the home test kits approved by the cruise lines.

23 minutes ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Saint Greg has a thread going (Live on Mardis Gras).  He had two tests done at two different locations, He got the results of the second test in time for boarding.  The first test he took came after the ship had left the port.  Both were PCR tests - he made an appointment for rapid antigen and they were unable to do it due to supply issues and did the PCR instead (that was the one that didn't return in time for the cruise at CVS).  His PCR from Walmart/Quest came in time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

I've heard stories but not seen posts.  And it does appear that test scheduling varies by state and location.   Right now schools are testing all students frequently.

If your state appears to have scheduling delays maybe look into cruise line approved home tests.

My emed home tests are on a fedex truck now arriving today. Pulled the trigger on those after our CVS rapids cancellations fiasco this weekend.  Money well spent for both of our fall cruises to not have to stress about appointments or results timing.  And since we’re doing two fall cruises, 150 dollars total was cheaper than the backup options that ranged from 50-139 dollars a person at some of the out of pocket guaranteed turn around testing sites here. 

• Like 3

We came off Carnival Miracle in Seattle last week, Aug 24.  Getting a COVID test in Seattle is a nightmare.  No one will give you an antigen test unless you are actively sick AND you have to name who exposed  you. The state pays the bill but is swamped with sick people and has no time for travel needs.  The airport is an expensive possibility.   Urgent care Indigo is a waste of time as they do not do anyone on Medicare or with insurance.  We did not find out about the issues in Seattle until we got there.  We finally got tests at Kaiser, which we belong to in California.  Results in 2 days. Even with Kaiser, I had 5 employees with 5 different stories and when, where, etc.

Here is my considered advice:

If you are now booking, arrange to time your trip so you are able to get tested at  home, get your results and fly.  Spend time in Seattle or anywhere AFTER your cruise.  Takes all the stress off you.  To my surprise almost no one we talked to was spending any time in Seattle at all.  Big mistake as it is a great city with the Space Needle, Chihuly Museum and fabulous mountain scenery,  trendy food at Pike Market, etc.  I would allow at least 3 days.

That said, Miracle was rumored to  have left two dozen passengers on the dock with no tests.  However, they could have done tests as they were testing the few  unvaccinated passengers.  I imagine they did not want to start a precedent by testing when they said they would not do it for vaccinated guests.

There was no talk we heard about whether the infirmary was caring for any passengers.

1 hour ago, 7continentKaren said:

We came off Carnival Miracle in Seattle last week, Aug 24.  Getting a COVID test in Seattle is a nightmare.  No one will give you an antigen test unless you are actively sick AND you have to name who exposed  you. The state pays the bill but is swamped with sick people and has no time for travel needs.  The airport is an expensive possibility.   Urgent care Indigo is a waste of time as they do not do anyone on Medicare or with insurance.  We did not find out about the issues in Seattle until we got there.  We finally got tests at Kaiser, which we belong to in California.  Results in 2 days. Even with Kaiser, I had 5 employees with 5 different stories and when, where, etc.

Here is my considered advice:

If you are now booking, arrange to time your trip so you are able to get tested at  home, get your results and fly.  Spend time in Seattle or anywhere AFTER your cruise.  Takes all the stress off you.  To my surprise almost no one we talked to was spending any time in Seattle at all.  Big mistake as it is a great city with the Space Needle, Chihuly Museum and fabulous mountain scenery,  trendy food at Pike Market, etc.  I would allow at least 3 days.

That said, Miracle was rumored to  have left two dozen passengers on the dock with no tests.  However, they could have done tests as they were testing the few  unvaccinated passengers.  I imagine they did not want to start a precedent by testing when they said they would not do it for vaccinated guests.

There was no talk we heard about whether the infirmary was caring for any passengers.

Just FYI, Miracle just had 13 crew test positive. The ship is undergoing CDC inspection in Seattle right now. 

7 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

MSC updated their guidance last week.  No longer doing pier tests on everyone. Same policy as RCCL and Carnival now. 

OH My, you're on your own out there in the wild, wild west......the stampede for Walgeens/CVS intensifies.

• Like 1

I dont think CCL realizes the serious bind cruisers are in , in finding these RAPID ANTIGEN tests....scrambling to find a pharmacy, that offers such, and then staying up all night on the computer trying to get an opening on the schedule, hoping the pharmacy does not cancel or have problems.  Folks, this is a Terrible situation to be in, and needs some guidance and assistance from CCL and all the cruise lines. Very poor....

• Like 3