Updated cdc recommends testing 2 days prior, not 3 days

firefly333

11 minutes ago, overeasy said:

We knew that would happen.  However, I appreciate this part:

"We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially with the new two-day window established by the CDC that goes into effect on September 13, 2021. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still working out the details and ask that you check back on this page. Carnival will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance. "

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I guess that REALLY leaves out the PCR test

There are same-day PCR tests available - they are done at many airports, for example.

But they are not as common / available as the "normal" 2 or 3-day PCR tests or same-day rapid-antigen tests.

EDIT: e.g., at MCO:

https://orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/coronavirus-covid-19/

Covid-19 testing is available at Orlando International Airport, Monday-Friday from 7:30am-5:00pm and Saturday-Sunday from 7:30am-7:00pm. The AdventHealth clinic is located in the West Hall, opposite the security checkpoint for Gates 1-59 and offers both rapid RT-PCR testing and rapid-result antigen testing. The rapid RT-PCR test is subject to availability.

The SARS-CoV-2 assay uses real-time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) technology to rapidly (approximately 20 minutes) detect SARS-CoV-2 from nasal swabs. The rapid-result antigen tests detect proteins from the virus and are most accurate when performed within five to seven days of the onset of symptoms. This type of test includes a nasal swab and provides results in approximately 15 minutes.

Appointments are not required but may be made online.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

On 8/31/2021 at 2:46 PM, drafterdw said:

We leave in 12 days and have not received an update from Carnival.  Our original email says 3 days! We are hoping to get a rapid test but if we can't there is no way it will be back in 2 days. 

Look into the home test kits approved by the cruise lines.

As long as you aren't leaving on 9/13 or maybe even before 9/20, there will be an option to get the test at the pier prior to check in.  Waiting to see what the fee will be but could be less than ordering a home test.

Our local libraries are offering testing at their facilities.  Not sure the cost, or if you need a reservation, but when I was at my local site, there was no one in line. So had I been cruising this weekend, I would have gone there.

Every area is different, though.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

There are same-day PCR tests available - they are done at many airports, for example.

But they are not as common / available as the "normal" 2 or 3-day PCR tests or same-day rapid-antigen tests.

EDIT: e.g., at MCO:

https://orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/coronavirus-covid-19/

Covid-19 testing is available at Orlando International Airport, Monday-Friday from 7:30am-5:00pm and Saturday-Sunday from 7:30am-7:00pm. The AdventHealth clinic is located in the West Hall, opposite the security checkpoint for Gates 1-59 and offers both rapid RT-PCR testing and rapid-result antigen testing. The rapid RT-PCR test is subject to availability.

The SARS-CoV-2 assay uses real-time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) technology to rapidly (approximately 20 minutes) detect SARS-CoV-2 from nasal swabs. The rapid-result antigen tests detect proteins from the virus and are most accurate when performed within five to seven days of the onset of symptoms. This type of test includes a nasal swab and provides results in approximately 15 minutes.

Appointments are not required but may be made online.

Does Miami offer the RAPID ANTIGEN test at the airport?

13 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Every area is different, though.

Yeah. This is one of those times I'm happy to live in the city. Here in Houston I went to a free county drive thru site yesterday and got PCR results same day.

I feel sorry for some of these people so far away from sites.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:35 AM, kdr69 said:

Why the difference?  I would expect them to tighten up testing requirements for Unvaccinated individuals rather than fully vaccinated ones?  Why the extra day for unvaccinated individuals?

Exactly this!  

2 hours ago, balcony bound said:

We knew that would happen.  However, I appreciate this part:

"We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially with the new two-day window established by the CDC that goes into effect on September 13, 2021. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still working out the details and ask that you check back on this page. Carnival will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance. "

This is exactly what I thought they should do.  I am glad they are stepping up and doing everything possible to make going on a cruise a little less stressful.

Just now, wandbrich11 said:

Do they accept the rapid diagnostic test from Walgreens? I’m so confused on all these tests. 

No.  Those tests aren't proctored therefore it is my understanding the cruise line will not accept them.

6 minutes ago, OddJob said:

No.  Those tests aren't proctored therefore it is my understanding the cruise line will not accept them.

If it is administered as a drive up COVID test by Walgreens and they send you a report it is acceptable. If you purchase it in the store and do it all by yourself at home, then no. The at home tests must be purchased from the online companies that supervise them and provide you with a report.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topaz123 said:

Careful...the CDC might go for 1 day testing next......it's endless.

Please, do not give them any ideas. And I now see in a later post you went even more ballistic changing one day to one hour. Why not one minute?