Who has thoughts on Boardwalk Balcony Rooms on Symphony & the like.....

zdad59

Have stayed in one once. Honestly, we did not like them, but to save money, it may be worth it to you. We like having privacy on our balcony, and everyone can see you on that balcony. I think it is fun to try once though as you might like it!

On 8/28/2021 at 9:48 PM, zdad59 said:

Looks like our January cruise on Odyssey OTS will get canned because of cancellation by folks in our group due to non-COVID medical reasons.    SO that will leave a FCC credit for mama and me to use.    We love Symphony OTS and I was looking into maybe a Boardwalk balcony room this time, instead of the usual Oceanview Balcony.     I could save us big $$.    One sailing I'm looking at has cabin 12329, the last cabin aft on the port side.   From pics I find you actually get a good view of the Aqua theater.  You do have a piece of the Abyss nearby, but you do get a wake view.

I was wondering how noisy it really is down that end.    Also are there big negatives to having an inside balcony and not having an ocean view from your balcony?   

Thoughts from those with experience is appreciated.

We had one of those cabins on Allure and loved it! W could watch the aqua theatre show, movies, and the wake without paying for the Aquatheatre suite!

Our last several cruises have been in Boardwalk balconies.  We have also stayed in the ocean view balconies on all cruises where they were available, as well as on Oasis class ships.  

I sail with my teen age granddaughter most times, and she loves the people watching from the balcony on the Boardwalk.  I also sail with my sister and other family members, but it seems we enjoy the BW balconies and I think it's because they are different from the standard ocean view balconies.

The only time I would say I didn't enjoy the BW balcony  is when we were the last cabin from the elevator.  I do have some problems walking long(er) distances and going to the cabin several times daily wore me out!

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

For Symphony, Harmony, and now Oasis, what deck/room location allows you to see the Aqua Theater without the slid being in the way?

The Aqua Theater cabins for sure.....All the others have some degree of obstruction.

We had the last four aft on deck #9 Boardwalk starboard side...won't book this category again. JMHO

On 8/30/2021 at 4:21 PM, dcgrumpy said:

We enjoyed it on Allure. We were in 9323 and 9325. I loved the view, we could see the water, the aqua theater and people watch. I'm not sure if I would enjoy it as much on a ship with the Ultimate Abyss.

We’ve also cruised in these staterooms on Allure and loved them so much we’ve booked them again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ashland said:

The Aqua Theater cabins for sure.....All the others have some degree of obstruction.

We had the last four aft on deck #9 Boardwalk starboard side...won't book this category again. JMHO

Why wouldn't you book these again? We were looking at rooms on Deck 9 - 11 towards the back. Not the aqua theater cabins though as those are way out of our price range. I saw a couple of videos on YouTube of some of these rooms and the slide was an obstruction if facing directly forward, but did not appear to be much of one if looking to the side towards the aft/aqua theater.  Are you saying the slide is actually an obstruction if looking towards the side if you were in say the last couple of cabins on those decks?

• 1 year later...

Have had Boardwalk balconies on Allure twice and on Wonder, if we are on an Oasis class ship we will get a Boardwalk balcony every time. Absolutely love them! You are still outside on your balcony, and you can pay a little less, (I have seen them run the same price as ocean view). It fun to watch the action down below, especially at night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex1991 said:

Question for all experts,  we have book our 🛳 on Symphony and book balcony room with a option that THEY tell us witch cabin we get, so what are the chances that we get ocean view room?

If you booked a XB GTY you will get a ocean view balcony, if you booked a XN GTY you will get a neighborhood balcony. If you booked GTY you could get either although it would probably be a neighborhood. 

Most of my Oasis class cruises in the past were in Boardwalk balconies as I’d rather have the cash than the views. There would be some noise leakage but generally nothing to complain too much about. My wife who is new to cruising refuses to even contemplate anything but an ocean view balcony. Hey, we all have priorities. 😁

We have done the Boardwalk balcony's before - never again after two failed attempts. Both time we found it to be unpredictable once you get past 11 pm for the noise level... We had to call security several time on one cruise because of the extreme loud music being played by some young cruisers on their boom-box - it was 1 am!  Security came to OUR door and basically said 'what's the problem'... we invited them into our room (which the balcony door was open) and their suggestion was to close the door...There WAS a LARGE contingency of Brazilin teenagers on the one cruise that seemed to NOT need any sleep...They seemed to be the major cause of the noise...They were 'dealt with' but I fear that they just found other hangouts.  And, yes they can be hot during the day...

Nope. Will not go on the ocean to be in an apartment with no privacy. I go on a cruise to see the ports we are pulling up to and the ocean. Why have a balcony where you have to close your blinds all the time. 

Just now, Alex1991 said:

And the lowest category (when booking balcony room) is Boardwalk category? Right?

Central Park is usually the lowest cost - category wise they are about the same - neighborhood balconies. If booking an XN or just X you are likely to get a CP balcony.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Central Park is usually the lowest cost - category wise they are about the same - neighborhood balconies. If booking an XN or just X you are likely to get a CP balcony.

Thank for you answer, but I already see that a few answers are having this XN, CP, XN GTY, ist there any webseite where I can find meaning of this?

3 minutes ago, Alex1991 said:

Thank for you answer, but I already see that a few answers are having this XN, CP, XN GTY, ist there any webseite where I can find meaning of this?

Not really:

W (suite), X (balcony), Y (oceanview) and Z (inside) are the main guarantee (GTY) booking categories. Within those, you can have subcategories like on Oasis class where you can have XB (ocean facing balcony) and XN (neighborhood balcony). CP=Central Park.

• Like 1