Who has thoughts on Boardwalk Balcony Rooms on Symphony & the like.....

zdad59

Looks like our January cruise on Odyssey OTS will get canned because of cancellation by folks in our group due to non-COVID medical reasons.    SO that will leave a FCC credit for mama and me to use.    We love Symphony OTS and I was looking into maybe a Boardwalk balcony room this time, instead of the usual Oceanview Balcony.     I could save us big $$.    One sailing I'm looking at has cabin 12329, the last cabin aft on the port side.   From pics I find you actually get a good view of the Aqua theater.  You do have a piece of the Abyss nearby, but you do get a wake view.

I was wondering how noisy it really is down that end.    Also are there big negatives to having an inside balcony and not having an ocean view from your balcony?   

Thoughts from those with experience is appreciated.

Our experience was that they were VERY hot. We then moved to Central Park balconies and didn't find them much better. We found that we virtually never used those balconies. If we're not doing Ocean Balconies, we've settled on Central Park or Promenade interior views because the rooms were bigger and the view is interesting.

• Like 1

I got a ocean view balcony and promised myself a boardwalk balcony which I've booked on the unamped allure. Cant wait. I booked the very end balcony to watch the aft and diving show.

Unless the weather is perfect I'm not one to sit out on my balcony. Solo, and if I wanted to sit alone I'd stay home. I prefer inside view. I want to see people. 

• Like 3

We have cabin # 10329 on Symphony--but not till Nov.!!  We have always cruised in Ocean view Balcony cabins, but wanted to try the Boardwalk Balcony.  I am hoping it will be fun and I can still see the water a little bit!

• Like 1

On one of Harmony's first sailings I booked our extended family in the last four aft Boardwalk cabins on deck #9. Got them at a great rate...glad for the experience but won't ever book them again.

Small cabins, obstructed views, no privacy on balcony (people keep those drapes closed) and noise from the movies shown very late into the night.

• Like 1

I've booked them several times.  It's a unique experience that you can't replicate and you still have ocean views. Only had a noise problem on Harmony, for some reason.  Best part is checking out JR'S breakfast line from above!  🥓🍳

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1

We always book ocean view as well, we did get a boardwalk for our older kids though. They hated it, they always came across to our cabin to see the ocean. Zero privacy for sure, u have to keep the drapes closed because everyone across the way could see in. Not sure why someone said the cabin was small, same size as oceanview cabin. 

• Like 1

We did it once on the Allure. It was definitely a step down from an ocean view balcony but it was fine. Our main draw to book this stateroom was the considerable price difference, but if it hadn’t been significant, I would’ve not booked it. 

Initially it was neat to see the action in the Boardwalk, and it was also neat to see performances at the Aqua Theatre. But it got old after a few days and I yearned for my unobstructed ocean views. Yes, you can see the ocean beyond the Aqua Theatre, but it’s fairly obstructed.

• Like 1

I have sailed in about every category cabin on Oasis class. As for the boardwalk balcony cabins....if you can get one of the very aft cabins it's a fun interesting unique view. Now thats the positive...the negative is it's a really far walk to the aft on such a big ship...I always recommend on this class ship to locate yourself close to one of the elevators. The other negative is that like mentioned there is little to no privacy so you pretty much always have to have the curtain closed unless everyone is always dressed...and yes it can get loud on the boardwalk at times....especially during the daytime.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We have booked Boardwalk balconies many times.  We have never stayed on the very end, but usually about half way.  We very much enjoy all the sights, sounds and people watching

Same...never stayed at end but as this poster, half way down on deck 10 on Symphony.  We loved the room.  It's a fun room to people watch and look out. You still get fresh air.  From our view, you could still see the ocean in the background so it was pretty.  It was also fun to watch the show (wouldn't see it for the first time from there but to catch parts second time around or them rehearsing) or catch part of a movie.  My advice is to bring ear plugs in case you want to go to bed when things are still running.  Easy solution.  We have booked a Boardwalk room again on Oasis for a future cruise.

• Like 2

We had boardwalk balconies on Allure and loved them.  My DH and DS loved the people watching in addition to seeing the ocean, and given an Oasis class ship that is what we will book going forward.  All of us are walkers, so distance to elevators isn't an issue.  I didn't notice any noise that hampered my sleep, and I'm an early to bed, early to rise person.

• Like 1

We gave a try on the Allure, no abyss..the purple slide to impact views.  We did cabin 10325.  Had a view of ocean, aqua theater practice and shows as well as movies and rock climbing wall.

We enjoyed this cabin, no noise issues. But do want to keep curtains closed while getting dressed.  

For a great price I would do it again.  

• Like 1

We did Boardwalk Balconies on both our past Symphony sailings.  Noise during the day - certainly however who is out on their Boardwalk Balcony during the day once you have had your morning coffee?  After coffee, it is time to get out and enjoy the ship.  Come 11 PM nice and quiet.

On Allure next week with a Boardwalk Balcony.

• Like 3

We were in the last cabin starboard side on Allure right under the Aqua show control booth, we loved it.  Got to see the Aqua show several times both from our balcony and from the "Secret Balcony" which has since been made into another Aqua cabin.  Not too noisey and able to see the ocean well.  You'll like it!  Long walk though, but seemed so quiet outside the door.

From our balcony 11729

From our Cabin.jpg

Our Balcony.png

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Our main draw to book this stateroom was the considerable price difference, but if it hadn’t been significant, I would’ve not booked it. 

I'm curious what you consider to be a considerable price difference. I am looking at a cruise where the price difference is $360 total. I'm thinking that might be a low price to upgrade to ocean view, but am curious what the difference is for other people.

12 hours ago, brookmill18 said:

Our experience was that they were VERY hot. 

That shouldn't be an issue for cabin 12329--the OP's cabin. That cabin is beneath an overhang and is always shaded. 

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

Small cabins, obstructed views, no privacy on balcony (people keep those drapes closed) and noise from the movies shown very late into the night.

No smaller (and no larger) than standard balcony cabins. As a matter of fact, I think the balcony itself is a little larger than ocean view.

I have reserved ocean view balconies on other ships in the past. We only use them occasionally. I guess I feel like I'm missing out on the fun of the ship when alone on the balcony. I get plenty of solitude here at home. I'm wondering if being able to people watch would make a Boardwalk Balcony better than ocean view.

• Like 1

We experienced no noise to slight noise if there was an event going on.  The privacy is a small problem to me, I am always clothed and you'd need a pair of binoculars to actually see into the room if the lights are off.  Only at night with lights on can you really see with any detail.  Never was hot to us, but we were at the end, sea breeze, etc.  As I said, we loved the cabin.

That said, in 2 weeks we will be on her again, this time in ocean view...we DO prefer looking at unobstructed ocean...but if price were right we'd do inside balconies in either neighborhood.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, renza said:

We always book ocean view as well, we did get a boardwalk for our older kids though. They hated it, they always came across to our cabin to see the ocean. Zero privacy for sure, u have to keep the drapes closed because everyone across the way could see in. Not sure why someone said the cabin was small, same size as oceanview cabin. 

I said it was small (to us) it felt cramped as we usually only book JS and above.

10 hours ago, MightyMike said:

I'm curious what you consider to be a considerable price difference. I am looking at a cruise where the price difference is $360 total. I'm thinking that might be a low price to upgrade to ocean view, but am curious what the difference is for other people.

For a 7 night cruise on an Oasis class ship, I would consider a price difference in excess of $150-$200pp (or $600-$800 for my family of 4) enough justification. 

But the relative amount that I’d be willing to pay to upgrade does vary based on cruise line, ship, and itinerary. There are times when I want to travel as cheaply as possible, while other times I’m feeling extra generous, lol.

Oasis cruise-had last boardwalk cabin on 12 several years back (pre-slide). Noise not really an issue unless you have a child that needs mid-day naps.  It is a Looong walk to the elevators if you have any mobility issues. Watching the shows was really neat form there. Different perspective.  Get to see the safety divers not visible from the stands. Like a peak behind the curtain. But my absolute favorite was watching the performers practice their routines late afternoon. Crazy talented divers. Acrobats just messing around on the trampolines and such.  I'd book there again.  

• Like 1