Panorama Lido buffet horrible as expected

tallnthensome

We might have eaten at the Lunch buffet once or twice over our five cruises on Carnival.  Lunch is almost always Guy's (Burger or Smokehouse/Pig&Anchor) or Blue Iguana, if we are actually on the ship.  Since we do the Brunch in the MDR on Sea Days, lunch per se is often skipped, with just a Guy's burger split early afternoon, maybe.  And if we in a port, we are often off the ship over lunch, so again we might come back for an afternoon snack from Blue Iguana, or some other non-buffet offering.  We just aren't buffet types.  

As for breakfast - if we are up early enough (a port day), we will likely grab a breakfast burrito at Blue Iguana, or an omelet at the omelet bar.  So again, skipping the buffet (maybe grab some bacon...if available!)

But I understand being disappointed in the buffet - I guess that is the underlying reason we don't even really bother to check it out.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
Not sure if Smokehouse, so mention P&A.
  • Like 2

I do agree that the buffet has very limited selection for lunch and dinner. There is also a salad bar and other choices, like JJs, pasta, blue iguana, guys burgers and the P&G. I ended up went to JJs 3 times, the pasta place once  and brunch twice last week. Just tasted much better than the buffet food. Just need to adapt and have fun.

I've never been a fan of the buffet on any cruise line.  Can you tell me when type of hard seltzers they have the Panorama?  Brand and flavors?  I would greatly appreciate knowing this before my 9/11 sailing.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise!  I'm looking forward to mine.   Thanks!

Folks - your on Carnival.....what more can you expect.....remember - a lot of the cruise experience is what you also make it.....

If you want upscale - go HAL or RCL or others.....

for us we are happy with carnival to just kick back and not worry about the high and mighty....we are easy to please.....

Hoping everyone enjoys what they can as it's hard enough in these times....never thought we'd see this type of stuff in our older age....

Enjoy life, it's the only one you have....

• Like 4

Every ship has its dining pluses and minuses. I know the Carnival buffet is bad, so I find the things that are decent there (fruit, salads), and then look elsewhere. So I always either go to the MDR for breakfast and seaday brunch, or eat huevos rancheros and breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana. The same goes for lunch, where Guy's burgers and tacos are fine for me, and Carnival also has free room service. The best part of their buffet for me that they usually have many of their dining room main dishes there in the evening, so I could go right when they opened and get some prime rib or shrimp or other dishes and then try something else in the MDR later on. I learned what to avoid in the buffet too, like their desserts and pizza and sandwiches. It's the same with entertainment, I find Carnival's shows horrible, but they have the best comedy at sea, and each ship has areas I enjoy being at and where there are fewer crowds and beautiful views of the sea. 

• Like 1

One thing nobody is pointing out is that on other lines, they steer you to the buffet as the non-MDR lunch option on the ship. Carnival has created lots of other options, expanding burger, bbq, Mexican, Mongolian bbq and pasta bar options at alternative venues. It actually works well: on our Vista cruise last month, we ate lunch in the buffet exactly zero times.

Compare that to Royal Caribbean, which is much more centered around the buffet as the place to eat lunch. The Oasis-class ships have tried to space out some lunch options around the vessel, but as a rule, Royal doesn't even have a poolside grill for burgers and fries... they're only available in the Windjammer. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
typos
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, DGNewton said:

Folks - your on Carnival.....what more can you expect.....remember - a lot of the cruise experience is what you also make it.....

If you want upscale - go HAL or RCL or others.....

for us we are happy with carnival to just kick back and not worry about the high and mighty....we are easy to please.....

Hoping everyone enjoys what they can as it's hard enough in these times....never thought we'd see this type of stuff in our older age....

Enjoy life, it's the only one you have....

Sorry, but I don't think that RCL is an upscale. IMHO. Not a hater, have done quite a few RCL cruises. Food is blah! So far, IMHO, food has been good on Princess, NCL, and CCL. But I do agree with everything else you say, lol! 😉

Edited by klfhngr
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Every ship has its dining pluses and minuses. I know the Carnival buffet is bad, so I find the things that are decent there (fruit, salads), and then look elsewhere. So I always either go to the MDR for breakfast and seaday brunch, or eat huevos rancheros and breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana. The same goes for lunch, where Guy's burgers and tacos are fine for me, and Carnival also has free room service. The best part of their buffet for me that they usually have many of their dining room main dishes there in the evening, so I could go right when they opened and get some prime rib or shrimp or other dishes and then try something else in the MDR later on. I learned what to avoid in the buffet too, like their desserts and pizza and sandwiches. It's the same with entertainment, I find Carnival's shows horrible, but they have the best comedy at sea, and each ship has areas I enjoy being at and where there are fewer crowds and beautiful views of the sea. 

Any Chilaquiles?!

18 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

I am another one that does not care for the Lido buffet food - if I do eat there I will have a salad and spend the rest of the calories on ice cream. I really enjoy the other available options, so it doesn't much matter to me what they offer at the buffet. My favorite lunch, the Tandoor grill, no longer exists, but I am looking forward to trying the Indian entree in the MDR.

second the Tandoor grill, one our most favorites....now gone. Also liked the  Seafood place on second floor Lido area....they used to make Bouillabaisse from scratch with scallops and more, also had ahi tuna tartare.....now gone too.......

• Like 1

I can’t say I’ve raved about the lido buffet on any cruise line I’ve sailed on and I’ve sailed on all that you mentioned. 

Having said that, I can usually find something to eat like an omelet at breakfast or a salad at lunch but if they’re putting out the same 8 choices every single day that’s a problem. That’s unacceptable even with a lower passenger capacity. 

2 hours ago, klfhngr said:

At least the mashed potato's were good, no?!

Funny!  No mashed potatoes for you on Carnival.   As far as buffets, I like Royal's buffet, Carnival comes in 2nd and Norwegian last for dinner.  They are all similar for breakfast and lunch.  Carnival has a very limited selection of items for dinner.  I will sometimes make a salad and go to the deli for a BLT.  Their salad bar is good.  

Breakfast has always been decent with eggs, bacon, french toast, oatmeal and things like that.  We usually eat at other places for lunch.  The lunch desserts have always been good at the buffet.

I sailed Pano pre-pandemic and even then, I didn't think the buffet was all that great. Admittedly, I usually eat Guys for lunch and the wife enjoys the mongolian wok.

Funny, I commented a few weeks ago that the buffet on RCLs Anthem of the Seas looked amazing. Someone on here stated that they thought Carnival had the best lunch options of all the lines. Hilarious.

The Anthem buffet can be seen here at the 3:53 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7PkTueIRo&t=319s&ab_channel=CruiseWithBenandDavid

I hear ya, OP!

Don’t think it has anything to do with the current reduced capacity, maybe quantity. 

Our last Carnival cruise was March 2019.  
We noticed then how the buffet had changed compared to previous cruises. 

The selection was downright minuscule & ridiculous.
As the OP stated, there was always white rice, baked potatoes & 4 changing meat/casserole options. 
Most were full of peppers & onions and lukewarm. We honestly thought it was like we pictured the crews buffet. That was it, every lunch/Dinner. Yes to salad bar (way slimmed down options) & desserts-meh. 

However, at dinner there was a meat being carved, half of which were so fatty/grisly we literally wouldn’t feed it to our dog. And trying the carving station meant begging for more than a sliver of meat. Really?

it was quite obvious that Carnival decided it was a good idea to make more money by downgrading the buffet options & quality.  Their saving grace is all the other great lunch options.
But it would be nice if they had a bit more and better dinner buffet options otherwise it’s the MDR & specialty $ restaurants. We don’t always feel like dressing for dinner and doing the long drawn out MDR or specialty place.  

Anyway, IMHO, it is what it is and we know it. YMMV. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, silvercrikhix said:

The selection was downright minuscule & ridiculous.
As the OP stated, there was always white rice, baked potatoes & 4 changing meat/casserole options. 
Most were full of peppers & onions and lukewarm.

This!  Exactly. 

Same ole white rice, same ziti, same meat/fish with peppers and onions, and NO mashed potatoes and no imagination.  

The Carnival ships  I’ve been on in the last few years have been older so unless I paid for JJs or the steakhouse, the only “hot meal” options are the 2+hour MDR or buffet for supper. 

• Like 1

I am currently on Carnival Magic. I have about 25 Carnival cruises behind me.

I will agree with the OP. The buffet is VERY limited compared to what Carnival used to provide. I can excuse closed stations, etc. But the offerings here are poor compared to pre-covid cruises.

Yes, I believe it will change as things move on, but truth is truth. Today the buffet is not what it used to be.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Solo1959 said:

I will agree with the OP. The buffet is VERY limited compared to what Carnival used to provide. I can excuse closed stations, etc. But the offerings here are poor compared to pre-covid cruises.

Yes, I believe it will change as things move on, but truth is truth. Today the buffet is not what it used to be.

Out a Pandemic like this and the company is trying to sail and trying to survive???

Give me a break....I don't mind the popcorn $3 cost, but agree Bacon ,makes me wonder....

We all signed up for early the early sailing and we were happy with the July 24th sailed (self protected).....We are on Disney this weekend and on Carnival again Oct 30th...just saying what do you want ?

I'm the first to propose postings but we all need to  look in the mirror, what is your thinking, expectations, and deliverables????

Hoping you all have a great item.....we will masked up and distanced.....an older couple that loves to cruise.....

SOmeday Diamond....

A silver spoon.....

In general, people either like buffet (steam table) foods are they don't.  Some prefer burgers or sandwiches.  Some prefer stir fry or sushi.  Often the buffet haters would hate any buffet because they don't like food that is prepared in large batches and held in stem tables.

So add that to having more limited choices and it is going to not please many.  Personally we just look for one or two items to enjoy.  Usually a piece of fish/chicken and a veg. The other items will please someone else.

Thanks for the report to help set expectations.

1 hour ago, Solo1959 said:

Thank you for your honest assessment as well. Sounds much like my experience as well.. I wasn't trying to upset anyone by my negativity.  That was not my intent. All other things considered it has been a very nice cruise. 

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Thank you for your honest assessment as well. Sounds much like my experience as well.. I wasn't trying to upset anyone by my negativity.  That was not my intent. All other things considered it has been a very nice cruise. 

I have been on at least a dozen Carnival cruises. I have never considered the food upscale by any measure on Lido or MDR. If I want upscale, I will go to a local restaurant for quality in my local area. The service is generally good and I am fine with the quality and the overall price I pay for the cruise.

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

I miss the Indian buffet that was at the rear of the ship (some ships). Always great tasting.

The seafood shack has been a disappointment for me.

I sailed the Splendor to Singapore in 2019 and the 7 day Mexican Riviera prior, so I got to enjoy Tandoor for 31 days. They also have a pretty decent barbecue place. Of course, I didn’t eat at Tandoor every day, but I definitely ate there a lot.

I think Carnival ships, at least have options on their different ships, so everyone has choices, especially for lunch. I don’t normally eat in the MDR for dinner, so I tend to eat a big lunch, and maybe grab soup, salad or sandwich for dinner.

Edited by crzndeb

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

My other post was deleted. I guess being blunt and honest is not good for a forum for pre-conceived notions by people.

Here is from someone and their group that absolutely loves the buffet!

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald/posts/6278097742232734

Yeah, I saw that too. My take on this is that I see supply line issues here in my own stores, from groceries to furniture to appliances. I would expect to maybe see less choice and maybe less stations open due to capacity. However, I do expect the offerings that they have to be good and tasty (at least to the level of pre-covid). We don't do the buffet a lot due to other options, but occasionally we will eat there. I'll see for myself in two days!!

• Like 1