Updated Celebrity testing requirements eff 9/13/21

MartinsCruise

16 minutes ago, TFree said:

The only real way to eliminate 99% of this risk is to buy 2 sets of home/supervised kits.  Do one test at home the day before you travel.  If you test positive you cancel the flight and the cruise.  If you test negative, you can fly to FL with the knowledge that it is extremely unlikely that you will test positive at the hotel in FL.

Tom & Judy

A reasonable strategy, and one we intend to follow with one change. I see no reason to waste time and money on a supervised test a day before traveling. Instead, I’ve also purchased unsupervised Abbot antigen tests. We’ll do those before travel, and the supervised ones the morning we leave (if possible) or after arrival in FL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

A reasonable strategy, and one we intend to follow with one change. I see no reason to waste time and money on a supervised test a day before traveling. Instead, I’ve also purchased unsupervised Abbot antigen tests. We’ll do those before travel, and the supervised ones the morning we leave (if possible) or after arrival in FL.

That's not a bad thought.  But In terms of doing the unsupervised test  -- if the result turns out to be positive, consider whether it would be accepted by any third party from whom you would be seeking any refund of travel costs because you were cancelling because of Covid.

Stay safe, and good luck!  

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

That's not a bad thought.  But In terms of doing the unsupervised test  -- if the result turns out to be positive, consider whether it would be accepted by any third party from whom you would be seeking any refund of travel costs because you were cancelling because of Covid.

Stay safe, and good luck!  

I have no expectation that it would be. If the unsupervised test is positive, I’ll use one of the supervised ones to sanity check and use for cancellation. My point is, we have six supervised test kits, and two cruises booked prior to their expiration. The day before travel is always frenetic, so why waste time waiting on a supervised test unnecessarily? Others may think differently, but we’re following this strategy.

Thanks! You too😊

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

I have no expectation that it would be. If the unsupervised test is positive, I’ll use one of the supervised ones to sanity check and use for cancellation. My point is, we have six supervised test kits, and two cruises booked prior to their expiration. The day before travel is always frenetic, so why waste time waiting on a supervised test unnecessarily? Others may think differently, but we’re following this strategy.

Thanks! You too😊

Ah, thanks for further elaboration of your strategy.  It sounds very well thought out! 

With Covid getting worse and worse and the new MU variant out there now ,it would be much simpler if we could just take the home test and take our results with us? Because it's hard to tell how long the wait will be to get a doctor to watch us take the test.I'm sure there will be thousands of test wanting to be watched at the same time! Those people watching aren't there just to watch cruisers take a test!!! Right??

Edited by Harrylinden

4 hours ago, canderson said:

The 58th St. site would be pretty convenient for cruise guests, but as it turns out these tests are free, they're probably being paid for by the County, and wouldn't be quite right to use County taxpayer funds to supply tests to freeloading X passengers from Colorado!

I believe the US Government is paying for these tests also for CVS and Walgreens Testing.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:49 PM, megfla said:

I don't know if I am spoiled, but Hillsborough County (FL) offers free antigen (rapid) tests with results in under one hour.  No appointment necessary. 

With the increased spread, I am glad they cut it down to 2 days.  It may identify more positive cases before boarding.

4 hours ago, IsanTom said:

What is the home test? Do you buy the kit at CVS? Thanks

From their website-

For full vaccinated guests living in the U.S., a home-test kit will be available for purchase on our Website as of Wednesday, September 8, 2021. We are working with an authorized medical provider to be able to offer this option. You will complete your pre-cruise test right at home or at any other place of your choosing with the help of a live video supervision by a Certified Guide.  These test kits will be delivered anywhere in the U.S, within two business days and you will receive validated results in 15 minutes.

• Thanks 1

Things may change by January, but our next cruise leaves on Monday, January 3. Due to the New Year's Holiday, everything will be closed on Saturday. Most testing places are closed on Sunday when we fly, and even those that are open will likely be closed by the time we arrive at 4 pm.

Has anyone tested at the airport on arrival? They seem to take appointments online, and operate late into the evening. Though clicking through the appointment site, they seem to targeted to departing flights only. Plus everyone else will have that idea and they'll be overwhelmed (though fortunately only 4 ships that I could find depart on Monday). 

I know we can do the home test in our hotel on Sunday night, though we'll have to see how late that runs (and how overwhelmed they'll be with Equinox/Apex cruisers leaving on 1/3...). Given the long waits to be seen mentioned earlier on this thread, that seems less optimistic.

I guess an early Monday appointment is the other option if we can find one.

Hopefully Celebrity comes up with a better solution, or the CDC relaxes their protocols.

Another question from a very non-geeky person(and senior person):  how does the at-home test work?  What will I need to do this once I arrive in Florida i.e. a laptop, cell phone?  How would I print results when not at home?

I am sure these are questions you all are laughing at but I am trying to figure out what I need to do.

I have not given up "yet" on going on this cruise!

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, dazey said:

Another question from a very non-geeky person(and senior person):  how does the at-home test work?  What will I need to do this once I arrive in Florida i.e. a laptop, cell phone?  How would I print results when not at home?

I am sure these are questions you all are laughing at but I am trying to figure out what I need to do.

I have not given up "yet" on going on this cruise!

Thanks.

Not laughing at all.  You can take the test using a cell phone and you will get the results on your cell phone that can be used when you check in for your cruise.  If you are staying at a hotel with a business center that is open you can log into your account and should be able to print the results on their printer.

• Thanks 1

Just wondering - if you have a "Cruise with Confidence" reservation, I believe it allows you to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and get a transfer of money to another cruise.  But now you have to get a test within 2 days of departure.  So what happens now if you test positive and you AND the others in your travel group wish to cancel?  There could be several cabins of people traveling together, like a family cruise.

47 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Just wondering - if you have a "Cruise with Confidence" reservation, I believe it allows you to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure and get a transfer of money to another cruise.  But now you have to get a test within 2 days of departure.  So what happens now if you test positive and you AND the others in your travel group wish to cancel?  There could be several cabins of people traveling together, like a family cruise.

Right now, Celebrity's web site says the following.  It's limited to cruises sailing on or before Oct. 31, 2021, but it would not surprise me if it were extended.  (No guarantees, of course). 

"Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.*"

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

And, fwiw, a few days ago, when I made final payment on our upcoming December cruise, I took the below screenshot of the guest ticket contract.  (I realize it doesn't answer all of your questions.)  enhance

17 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

With Covid getting worse and worse and the new MU variant out there now ,it would be much simpler if we could just take the home test and take our results with us? Because it's hard to tell how long the wait will be to get a doctor to watch us take the test.I'm sure there will be thousands of test wanting to be watched at the same time! Those people watching aren't there just to watch cruisers take a test!!! Right??

I don’t believe that it has to be observed by a doctor. In Celebrity’s latest update they use the term “certified guide”. That could be anybody that has had the training to observe or administer the test. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 4:22 PM, Turtles06 said:

That option already existed.

Not sure how the home antigen tests work, but I do know that the results of the tests must have your name (same as what's on your passport), date of test, type of test, and results of test on the form when presented to the check in personnel.  

That's what the check in personnel said to me when I sailed a few weeks ago.

I'm guessing anyone can take a home test done by someone else and present it as their own if they don't have names attached to them.

11 minutes ago, djh said:

I don’t believe that it has to be observed by a doctor. In Celebrity’s latest update they use the term “certified guide”. That could be anybody that has had the training to observe or administer the test. 

Celebrity's website says this:

Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/accepted-covid-tests

13 minutes ago, djh said:

Could also be a pharmacist, a nurse, or a pharmacy medical technician.  Either way, the test has to be observed by a qualified person to be accepted by Celebrity.  That pretty much rules out the "take at home" tests unless they are observed by one of the above at their location.

Here's a link to a thread would be a great start for people who don't understand the difference between a Celebrity approved supervised home test with video monitoring, and an unsupervised home test that is not approved.

Check the Celebrity website's "Healthy at Sea" section for information about the kinds of tests that are acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Could also be a pharmacist, a nurse, or a pharmacy medical technician.  Either way, the test has to be observed by a qualified person to be accepted by Celebrity.  That pretty much rules out the "take at home" tests unless they are observed by one of the above at their location.

A telemedicine supervised @ home antigen test is acceptable for cruises & international travel w/ entry back into the U.S such as the Binax test as discussed in another thread linked to above.