Carnival Panorama - New Disembarkation Process

DAllenTCY

I'll start by saying that the idea is welcome; however, without any enforcement I have my doubts.

Cruise Director Lee has made a PA announcement (audio in every stateroom), and paperwork has been delivered.

Self debarkation will be called by Lifeboat Station and not by deck.

Cruise cards must be shown before approaching the gangway.....and they clearly show your station as you know.

My prior cruises on the Victory (now Radiance) and Horizon were a madhouse.

Perhaps this will work to keep the stairways and atrium clear of those who want to be off early regardless.

I'll let you know.

David

P.S.  This has been one of the best cruises I've been on (out of 43 total......11 Carnival)

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was on last week’s cruise and this new process was a disaster. We were asked to be out of our rooms by 9 AM and our muster station wasn’t called until 1:30. We got off the ship around 2 PM. 

IMO the biggest issue was people ignoring the instructions and just lining up to get off even though their muster station wasn’t called. 

• Like 1

Hi Mondello,

We live less than an hour away (depending on traffic) but we also like to get off the shop early.  The vacation is over at the point when we dock. On a land vacation, the day we fly home, same feeling.  So, we choose a morning flight home. 

We’re not a couple that want to squeeze in every last moment on a ship. Waiting around … for what? Let’s enjoy our memories on the drive home ❤️🏡

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

I was on last week’s cruise and this new process was a disaster. We were asked to be out of our rooms by 9 AM and our muster station wasn’t called until 1:30. We got off the ship around 2 PM. 

IMO the biggest issue was people ignoring the instructions and just lining up to get off even though their muster station wasn’t called. 

Oh jeebuzz!!  😳😳

15 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I'll start by saying that the idea is welcome; however, without any enforcement I have my doubts.

Cruise Director Lee has made a PA announcement (audio in every stateroom), and paperwork has been delivered.

Self debarkation will be called by Lifeboat Station and not by deck.

Cruise cards must be shown before approaching the gangway.....and they clearly show your station as you know.

My prior cruises on the Victory (now Radiance) and Horizon were a madhouse.

Perhaps this will work to keep the stairways and atrium clear of those who want to be off early regardless.

I'll let you know.

David

P.S.  This has been one of the best cruises I've been on (out of 43 total......11 Carnival)

Let me get this straight--It does not matter when your flight home is scheduled, only what muster station you have. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

12 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

Wow. And here I thought that a 3pm flight out of LGB was plenty of time. Hope they fix this soon.

13 minutes ago, snowballs mom said:

Wow. And here I thought that a 3pm flight out of LGB was plenty of time. Hope they fix this soon.

Even once off the ship, it took almost 30 minutes to get an Uber. We made it to LAX by 3 PM. Frankly we were worried about making our 5 PM flight. 

Just now, Shayhooper said:

Even once off the ship, it took almost 30 minutes to get an Uber. We made it to LAX by 3 PM. Frankly we were worried about making our 5 PM flight. 

We are retired so we don't HAVE to be home on Saturday.  However, it would still be a pain to find a hotel and change flights at the last minute. I feel for those with kids, jobs or pets waiting for them.

• Like 1

New system......same old result.

Me first.

David

P.S.  And after 3 or 4 announcements by the CD, to wait for your luggage tag to be called...... 75 people at the front of the line who were waiting to get checked luggage and I was in the third group to be called off by Muster Station.  Yes it slowed down the entrance to CBP for everyone.

Edited by DAllenTCY

21 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

These stories are one of the major reasons I changed my flights from LAX to Long Beach. Not going to deal with "Southern California traffic" + who knows when I'll actually get off the ship.

6 minutes ago, matt1119 said:

These stories are one of the major reasons I changed my flights from LAX to Long Beach. Not going to deal with "Southern California traffic" + who knows when I'll actually get off the ship.

I was one if the last ones off the Panorama yesterday at around 10:20. We had Carnival post cruise transfers to LAX and were at the airline check in counter at 11:45ish. Disembarkation went very well in my opinion and much better than the prior week. Embarkation was the worst in history though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I was one if the last ones off the Panorama yesterday at around 10:20. We had Carnival post cruise transfers to LAX and were at the airline check in counter at 11:45ish. Disembarkation went very well in my opinion and much better than the prior week. Embarkation was the worst in history though. 

What exactly happened in the embarkation process that has you describing it as "the worst in history"?

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

What exactly happened in the embarkation process that has you describing it as "the worst in history"?

Have you not already heard? The Panorama was late to port and late to disembark the first week. They told everyone to come three hours later then their original check in time. They said they would be enforcing this. Nobody listened and Nobody verified the check in times. Stood in a half mile 2000 person  long line outside in the parking lot for 2.5 hours in the blazing sun. No explanation no water sweat pouring off your head. People were hiding under trees in parking lots, sitting on luggage, hiding near building shade they could fine. Worst ever ..... Carnival didn't say a word on embarkation day. The next day Lee, the cruise director, finally apologized for the embarkation disaster and how sorry Carnival was for it..... think they knew by themile long line at the service desk people were furious and that cruise surveys will be coming ..... Again, fail .....

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Do you know how it went with Horizon and Mardi Gras? (I'm not sure whether you were actually on those sailings or just knew of the change)

I was on both ships, side to side.  We were among first off on both sailings, so maybe not the best to answer.  That said, the plan seems sound as they will alternate people leaving from different areas of the ship.  That said, if people do what they want, no plan will work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I was on both ships, side to side.  We were among first off on both sailings, so maybe not the best to answer.  That said, the plan seems sound as they will alternate people leaving from different areas of the ship.  That said, if people do what they want, no plan will work.

Loved that being said, if people do what they want, no plan will work.  

• Like 4

On 9/4/2021 at 12:00 PM, Shayhooper said:

This will be the problem no matter how the debarkation process is tweaked.

You can only do so much to alter the mindset of the cluelessly entitled (that is unless a physical restraint system is approved and implemented).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Anyone know if this impacts self disembarkation?

It does not.  We were on Breeze in July and Mardi Gras in August and this process was used on both ships.  They still allow diamond/platinum and self debarkation off first, then start calling the muster stations (like they used to call decks).  

• Like 1