P&O changes positive test coach policy

kevboy

6 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I think things will be a lot different in May to be honest.

Who knows ? Looking at the Covid rates around here and knowing a number of people who are very ill it makes me wonder where we will be with it all in the Spring ! 

On 9/11/2021 at 8:51 PM, Presto2 said:

Have to say IF we go on our May IONA cruise we have coach travel included --- to be honest, I think  we will give it a miss IF we go and drive down. Too much risk for us

We have decided that for the 2 cruises that we currently have booked we will drive down to Southampton.  We feel that going on a coach with dozens of other passengers and wearing a mask continuously for that length of time is not for us.  When we take the car we usually share the driving so it is not too bad.

• Like 3

On 9/12/2021 at 6:08 PM, Presto2 said:

Who knows ? Looking at the Covid rates around here and knowing a number of people who are very ill it makes me wonder where we will be with it all in the Spring.

I agree no-one has a crystal ball so we can only do our best to make our own lives as normal as possible while taking precautions to try to avoid getting infected with covid.  I have been fortunate in not knowing anyone personally who has been seriously ill with it.  My niece and her husband both had mild doses last summer which was worrying because my niece was under going chemo and radiotherapy treatment at the time so had a lowered immune system. 

I think that the decision that wearing is no longer mandatory is wrong so I will continue to wear mine.  Hopefully the booster vaccine decision will give us a bit more protection, I am hoping that we get offered the booster at the vaccine centre where I volunteer because I will happily take it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Convenient. But potentially very risky, given the remarkable ease of transmission in enclosed spaces such as coaches of the Delta variant.

Let's be honest 

As I've said several times before the cruise lines are in a no win situation

Whatever decisions they take result in criticism either way 

And to make it worse their decisions can literally cost people their lives 

Very tough situation to sell cruises right now 

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

I think they had a positive test on Ventura on boarding today and have just removed all those who were on the coach. 

This is from reports I am seeing on the book of face. 

Had they boarded the ship before they knew someone had tested positive or were they not allowed to board the ship initially?

5 minutes ago, tring said:

Had they boarded the ship before they knew someone had tested positive or were they not allowed to board the ship initially?

From what’s i have read they were on the ship.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tring said:

If so, that should not have happened.

We are off to the airport in Menorca this morning. The TUI rep told us there were 50 people on the trànsfer coach. We will get a taxi. Too risky.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are off to the airport in Menorca this morning. The TUI rep told us there were 50 people on the trànsfer coach. We will get a taxi. Too risky.

Have a lovely time.

Wise decision re transfer coach!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Wise decision about getting a taxi but what about transmission risks at the airport or on the flight itself?

We selected free coach travel to Southampton for our Christmas Market cruise on Iona in December. On previous occasions when we have used this service Eavesway have been the operator. Their website has lots of information regarding their Covid policy such as proof of negative test before boarding, social distancing, fewer/shorter stops etc. P@o, however now use Intercruises and unless I'm looking in the wrong place I can see nothing regarding Covid protocol on their website. I wonder if anyone has recently used them since International cruising resumed and how was it handled. Thanks, Jacko.

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Wise decision about getting a taxi but what about transmission risks at the airport or on the flight itself?

I think that is outweighed by the possibility of being denied boarding because you happened to be on a transfer to the port on a bus with someone who subsequently was tested positive.

• Like 1

I am pondering a bit as have booked the coach from Northampton to Southampton for part of my journey. Positively I think that there must have been many many coaches joining that cruise and only one had a positive test reported. Negatively I am concerned as to how will I get back to my brothers to collect my car if I am refused? I can cancel the hotel I have booked half way and cancel Eavesway which essentially means I will need to drive all the way on the Saturday and use CPS which I have never done before. I'm going to have a really good ponder and see what I can do.

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

I am pondering a bit as have booked the coach from Northampton to Southampton for part of my journey. Positively I think that there must have been many many coaches joining that cruise and only one had a positive test reported. Negatively I am concerned as to how will I get back to my brothers to collect my car if I am refused? I can cancel the hotel I have booked half way and cancel Eavesway which essentially means I will need to drive all the way on the Saturday and use CPS which I have never done before. I'm going to have a really good ponder and see what I can do.

If you have to return home if someone on your coach tests positive so far P&O have paid for taxis. 

We are booked with Cunard for January and took the complimentary coach travel as our benefit. We have previously travelled with Eavesway (Pre Covid) but discovered on booking that its Intercruises they use. 

I am now having second thoughts. I would be so annoyed if my test was negative but could not board because of another passenger being positive. I'm wondering now if Cunard will allow me to cancel the coach and take the OBC instead?  It does mean we would now have to drive down night before, stay in hotel, park the car - it just seemed so easy to coach it down and back especially in January🥶

Anyone else thinking the same?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand Intercruises use a number of different coach companies depending on location. This may be why I can't find anything regarding Covid protocols on their website. It maybe that more information is given closer to departure date. We never had a problem with Eavesway in the past. They appeared a very professional outfit and their website reflects that including an extensive Covid protocol page. I wonder why p@o dropped them. Too expensive I suppose.

• Like 1

I think 50 people in a coach is too many for that amount of space at the moment. 

To put it in context I believe if you travel to Barbados and you are within 4 rows in economy of someone that tests positive on the flight when tested in arrival in Barbados you have to quarantine for 5 days in your hotel room. 

I wouldn’t be using coach transfers for a cruise at the moment. 

Yes I’ve seen the reports about people having to leave Ventura and she didn’t  set sail until 9-45pm. Also saw reports that a couple of people were refusing to leave (but obviously had to eventually) but don’t know how true that was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes I’ve seen the reports about people having to leave Ventura and she didn’t  set sail until 9-45pm. Also saw reports that a couple of people were refusing to leave (but obviously had to eventually) but don’t know how true that 

I have read this also and that security were called onto the ship. In future will P&O have to make sure all coaches are processed separately and not allow anyone through to boarding until all results are returned? This isn't the first time it has happened.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pencil62 said:

Too expensive I suppose.

We were told that was the reason.To keep the same good service, Eavesway had to increase their prices and P&O said no. We still use Eavesway to Southampton and have never had a problem. The  comfort and quality of coaches and service is worth every penny.

Avril