Bacon

highflyingrealtor

5 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

There are actually three separate bacons:  Canadian bacon is cut from the loin on the back, American bacon is cut from the belly side, and English bacon is actually a combination of the two.  Canadian bacon always seemed closer to American ham.  I prefer good old American bacon cooked up crispy and served on toast with lettuce, tomato, and mayo!!

We have American Bacon too, but they don't call it that.  Since you guys call one of our bacons after our country, IDK why we don't return the favor.  Certainly regular bacon (a.k.a. American) is more prevalent.  But Back Bacon is part of the Canadian folklore like poutine, maple syrup, and Tim Horton donuts.

• Like 1

I love bacon. American bacon fried crispy but not carbonized. Princess makes hideous American bacon! It's too thinly sliced and is cooked in a vat or something. I don't know how they manage to produce such an inferior bacon. I guess it's just how it works when cooking up a huge vat of bacon. Very sad.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I do wonder if I will see in my life-time a resort or cruise type environment where they offer all top end foods like non-GMO, organic, naturally-raised, etc. 

I certainly think that resorts and cruises could make sgnificant moves in that direction. For example,  all chicken products to be free range (meat,  eggs,  and products containing eggs, such as mayonnaise) no veal or foie gras to be served, only meat from grass fed cattle to be used etc. 

• Like 1

In Australia we only use short cut bacon... which has little fat..... on Princess the staff call it english bacon on Australian based cruises..

My Favorite is Short cut bacon and French Toast ( cob bread soaked in egg and milk and fried in a pan.)  topped with maple syrup from Canada...  serve with a nice champagne for breakfast

Don

• Like 2

We were on the Carnival Vista in mid-late August (B2B from Galveston). Really didn't want to do Carnival but we discovered it was the fastest way to get back on the water. Even in a grand suite and with access to the havana club, we are one and done with them. But I digress.....

They were in fact doing bacon every other day, at least in the buffet. (Gave up on the MDR the second day but that's another story.) They did figure out a cutesy way to handle it. 

300AC822-B580-45FA-87BA-4E35EAB28DB9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.bcd75c5aff84dbae16f89a0f5ab11ecc.jpeg

I think it's a bit of a tragedy that folks from other countries may only have had "American Bacon" on a Princess Cruise. They would get a horribly distorted view of good American Bacon. Princess has simply come up with the worst possible presentation of bacon I can think of. It doesn't look or taste like the bacon I have at home or what I get at the local diner.

• Like 4

On 9/8/2021 at 12:00 PM, Martjay66 said:

On our recent Seacation on Regal, there was a choice of ether English or American!!

I have tried both and found the problem with American Bacon is having to cut it all up first and then putting your knife down.

Regards John

39 minutes ago, john watson said:

I have tried both and found the problem with American Bacon is having to cut it all up first and then putting your knife down.

Regards John

Please expand - if I cut crispy thing American bacon, it ends up in bits.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Please expand - if I cut crispy thing American bacon, it ends up in bits.

Fabby has explained where I was going wrong in trying to get the full American bacon eating experience.  Apparently you pick it up with your fingers. I did not know that.

Regards John

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, john watson said:

Fabby has explained where I was going wrong in trying to get the full American bacon eating experience.  Apparently you pick it up with your fingers. I did not know that.

Regards John

OR - you can put it on your peanut butter and banana sandwich, which you then fry in butter and consult your cardiologist, whichever you prefer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

OK I always thought it was a little indelicate to pick up the bacon but soon found it impossible to use a knife and fork 🙂

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

OK I always thought it was a little indelicate to pick up the bacon but soon found it impossible to use a knife and fork 🙂

(American) Bacon is Finger Food!

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

A rose by any other name ...

We like both kinds of thinly sliced smoked pork.  Back bacon (AKA English or Canadian) for eggs benedict or on a bun with cheese.  Pork belly bacon (American) for finger food especially with breakfast or for a BLT (but we as Californians like our BLAT sandwiches).

I have been eating turkey bacon for a couple of years and frankly, it never tasted like real bacon.  I recently started putting liquid hickory smoke into a small atomizer and giving the turkey bacon a very light spray.  Frying it in a very light touch of olive oil makes it crisp up some.  That makes it much more like the real thing, but DW says she can't stand the smell of the turkey bacon either way.  🦃 🥓

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:04 AM, john watson said:

I had the impression that it was the same bacon but cooked in a different way achieving a different presentation.

Regards John

I have always thought that too, John... I am one who prefers bacon a little crispy. On our first trip to England (when my wife was still working and her company paid for most of the expenses) we were surprised at the breakfast buffet where the bacon was, to our taste, undercooked. We quickly discovered that if we delved to the bottom of the pan, we could find crispier pieces which I felt tasted pretty much like American bacon

34 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Princess uses incredibly thin sliced bacon. Also cooking a huge amount at once likely affects the way it cooks. It reminds me of bacon at a Holiday Inn Express.

I ordered pancakes and bacon at a restaurant in the Florida Keys once and I called the waitress over and told her they forgot the bacon with my breakfast.  She pointed to the top of the pancake stack and said the bacon was there.  It was so thin, I just thought it was a scorch mark on the pancake.  Talk about thin!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I have been eating turkey bacon for a couple of years and frankly, it never tasted like real bacon.  I recently started putting liquid hickory smoke into a small atomizer and giving the turkey bacon a very light spray.  Frying it in a very light touch of olive oil makes it crisp up some.  That makes it much more like the real thing, but DW says she can't stand the smell of the turkey bacon either way.  🦃 🥓

Re Turkey bacon, in Asia, well Singapore, Hong Kong, you will mostly get turkey bacon in the hotel breakfast buffets. Not mad about about it, but better than no bacon at all !!  Also some hotels in Sydney, Australia have turkey bacon at breakfast as well as the normal pork bacon.

I am not too keen on the American style nuked/cremated bacon either, although will eat it if no English style available.

1403466151_th(1).jpg.01dc2e2634d670789d87cee8051c816c.jpg

Edited by NSWP