Bacon

highflyingrealtor

So I'm a little concerned about a report I heard regarding bacon. Carnival reports a bacon shortage causing them to only serve it every other day on cruises. They say they'll run out if served every day. We're on Princess in early February so please lord, don't let this affect us.

(Truly a first world problem and my comments are meant in jest)

Seriously though, if pbj's are all that's left on board, I'm fine with that and off to the big pond I'll go...🙂

• Haha 4

We just got off the Majestic yesterday, and there was no lack of bacon. It was just like it always is - always available at breakfast and as an add-on for burgers and such throughout the day. You don't need to worry. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends on where Princess purchases their bacon. There is a bacon drought predicted for California due to a law passed a while back that requires certain living standards for the animals involved if the meat is to be sold in California.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

I have often seen, and eaten, English style bacon on Princess ships in Europe and the Caribbean.

English style bacon is much better than American style bacon.  Maybe not as crispy but much less fatty and you can trim some of the fat off English bacon.

DON

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

English style bacon is much better than American style bacon.  Maybe not as crispy but much less fatty and you can trim some of the fat off English bacon.

DON

English bacon tends not to have fat at all. It is meat not low quality fat.

Edited by brisalta

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

And of course, British bacon is produced from pigs that have lived in humanitarian conditions, and haven't been stuffed full of antibiotics. 

US pork is banned in Europe.   

Is all U.S. pork banned or is it just pork from ractopamine-fed pigs?  JBS, Tyson and Smithfield have stopped using the substance in order to compete in international markets.

I fully support anybody's decision to refrain from eating 'American' bacon....more for me!  😅 🐷 🥓🥓🥓

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hey!! I thought it was called Canadian Bacon by the US!!  (UP here they call it Back Bacon).

There are actually three separate bacons:  Canadian bacon is cut from the loin on the back, American bacon is cut from the belly side, and English bacon is actually a combination of the two.  Canadian bacon always seemed closer to American ham.  I prefer good old American bacon cooked up crispy and served on toast with lettuce, tomato, and mayo!!

Edited by USCcruisecrazy

3 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Once you make your own bacon, it's hard to eat the commercial stuff.

I stick with the link sausage when cruising.

Nice. But you could say the same about once you make your own sausage:

temp.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Once you make your own bacon, it's hard to eat the commercial stuff.

I stick with the link sausage when cruising.

Nice looking.  And it makes me think how we buy a lot of premium (ie. healthy/organic) meats and such and of course you never get that dining out (generally) or certainly not when cruising, so try and think about that, but largely not much you can do.  I do wonder if I will see in my life-time a resort or cruise type environment where they offer all top end foods like non-GMO, organic, naturally-raised, etc. 

Bacon is one of may things we pay premium prices for to get the better-made stuff.