Covid Protocol changes

kevboy

32 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Give people a chance, the news has only just been released ! 

Anyway, everything is subject to change at any time, so it could end up being the case that, on some cruises at least, independent exploration isn’t allowed. So the ‘people that cried before they were hurt’ would end up being right.!

I think the key thing is to remember that nothing is set in stone and to expect change. 

Fully agree but as i understand it If you cannot get off independently the free time on organised trips will go as well.

BTW there is a long tradition of people ‘crying before they have been hit’ on this forum going back at least 15 years. Nice to see these ancient traditions being upheld.

• Like 1

Just now, Bin man said:

Hi molcrochip I get confused by the minute easily done .from your comment you say only lft test needed for re_entry to UK will be administered on ship, but surely we need still to book day 2 pcr test ourselves ,or am I completely wrong ?

Yes, you will still need the day 2 test when you return however that will be at your expense from your chosen provider. I expecting a P&O & Prenetics one stop show to be announced shortly which should hopefully be more cost effective than using an independent supplier.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Medallion has proved very popular on the Princess Staycations.

That would not appear to be the case with US cruisers on the current Akaska sailings,  especially as Traditional Dining is now defunct. Yes, you can reserve the same dining time every night,  but you will not be guaranteed the same table, wait staff or dining companions. 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That would not appear to be the case with US cruisers on the current Akaska sailings,  especially as Traditional Dining is now defunct. Yes, you can reserve the same dining time every night,  but you will not be guaranteed the same table, wait staff or dining companions. 

I don't have that data wowzz. I will say that generally, most ships are still offering a small cruise long reservation area but it seems its works best with staff who have been using Medallion longer and understand how to get the best from it.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I was just about to say that.  However all these PCR tests are a flaming pain.  Still think I might transfer to 2023.  It also says you can eat with other people, not just your own bubble.

The P&O statement says that most of the ports they intend to visit will not require any testing.

4 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I don't have that data wowzz. I will say that generally, most ships are still offering a small cruise long reservation area but it seems its works best with staff who have been using Medallion longer and understand how to get the best from it.

You have more than enough to worry about than read through the hundreds of posts on the Princess forum, moaning about the demise of TD !

We had a nightmare on Regal Princess with the medallion to the point where we made a vow never to sail with them again because of the stress both before cruising and during. If it's coming to P&O I hope they make it work properly before rolling it out.

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The P&O statement says that most of the ports they intend to visit will not require any testing.

I've looked various Caribbean Islands that might appear on a typical itinerary, and, as far as I could see, currently require a negative PCR test, anywhere between 24 to 72 hours before arrival.  I think the statement should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

On the other hand, I suppose it could mean they are not intending to visit any Caribbean Islands! 

We switched to cruising originally because it was hassle-free, compared with flying. Flying, understandably, became a nightmare after 9/11 and became progressively worse.

As things stand, I do wonder how many potential or indeed existing customers are going to look for hassle-free alternatives to flying AND cruising.

That house we used to rent overlooking the beach at Beadnell looks increasingly attractive!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We switched to cruising originally because it was hassle-free, compared with flying. Flying, understandably, became a nightmare after 9/11 and became progressively worse.

As things stand, I do wonder how many potential or indeed existing customers are going to look for hassle-free alternatives to flying AND cruising.

That house we used to rent overlooking the beach at Beadnell looks increasingly attractive!

There seems to be an awful lot of hoops to jump through - although I understand why this is, it's not something I particularly want to do myself.

I've still got two cruises booked, which I'll have to do at some point, but I'm not booking anything brand new, and I'm unlikely to do so for quite some time to come 

45 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I've looked various Caribbean Islands that might appear on a typical itinerary, and, as far as I could see, currently require a negative PCR test, anywhere between 24 to 72 hours before arrival.  I think the statement should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

On the other hand, I suppose it could mean they are not intending to visit any Caribbean Islands! 

I was only thinking it referred to european ports, so maybe you're right, although I understand some flight timings have now been given to the early Caribbean cruises.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Yes, you will still need the day 2 test when you return however that will be at your expense from your chosen provider. I expecting a P&O & Prenetics one stop show to be announced shortly which should hopefully be more cost effective than using an independent supplier.

?????

Does that mean you buy the test via P&O and it is delivered to you on board the ship? If so it will be much better than having to source your own. I notice on line that there are bad reviews of Prenetics, basically because the kit does not arrive before you are due to go on holiday and so you don't get to go. Onboard delivery should solve that problem. BTW the same complaints are on line about Marella's provider Chronomics. I would hope that the test kits have sufficient shelf life that they can have a stockpile aboard. 

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

basically because the kit does not arrive before you are due to go on holiday and so you don't get to go.

You don't need to physically have received the test, you just need the order reference number to input on your Passenger Location form.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I was only thinking it referred to european ports, so maybe you're right, although I understand some flight timings have now been given to the early Caribbean cruises.

Yes i was thinking European ports and not the Caribbean as they are the most imminent and the ones I am going on.

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

OK,thanks.  Still an unnecessary worry. Will the kit be there when I get home etc.

But that is not your problem.  You have ordered it, the rest is down to the supplier.

Anyway, hopefully the Day 2 test may soon not be needed for double vaccinated travellers.

• Like 2

Prenetics are doing the Southampton testing for the staycations. Our July test was easy as we were drop offs. The August 28th one however was a nightmare as we were in the car.  Took over 2 1/2 hours to be tested, then one of our group didn't get the test result because the operator took a digit wrong. In fairness to her the din in the tent was horrendous so I'm sure quite a few mistakes were made. Interestingly Princess staff seemed very used to the problem and called up the result instantly at check in/medallion collection.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But that is not your problem.  You have ordered it, the rest is down to the supplier.

Anyway, hopefully the Day 2 test may soon not be needed for double vaccinated travellers.

I keep waiting for the gov's change to travel tests. Fingers crossed that they get rid of the necessity for the returning PCR test.

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We had a nightmare on Regal Princess with the medallion to the point where we made a vow never to sail with them again because of the stress both before cruising and during. If it's coming to P&O I hope they make it work properly before rolling it out.

Friends of ours were on Regal Princess last week, their first with Princess Cruises. Their feedback about the Medallion system was the same as yours. They reckon that they spent 5 unsuccessful hours pre cruise trying to sort things and it was absolutely hopeless throughout the cruise. They said that everyone they spoke to or overhead was complaining about it. Medallion system aside, they were very impressed with Princess and felt that it was a step up from P&O and far better value than Cunard, so it hasn’t put them off but those thinking that it has been sorted are misguided!

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s exactly where we are at Harry. We turned to cruising for the same reasons as you and have enjoyed many cruises over the years. We keep debating returning but every time that I check this forum for updates on the latest procedures and rules, or reviews from those on current cruises, I am put off. Even the latest planned relaxations still leave a level of restrictions and hassle that are tolerable for most people but wouldn’t be for us. Until pre, during and post Covid tests, risks of quarantine, mask wearing and off ship restrictions are all consigned to history we aren’t remotely interested in another cruise. Great shame, but we just wouldn’t enjoy it. 

6 hours ago, molecrochip said:

As for Passenger Locator Forms, I believe that Wi-fi will be free for completing the PLF. There was even the suggestion of repurposing the Photogallery touch screen computers to allow PLF forms to be completed but not sure where that got to.

If you have registered for a PLF account, as P&O's email states you should, then you don't only need WiFi to complete the form but also need to have your phone connected to the mobile network to receive the SMS code to log in.

That should be interesting as the PLF has to be completed no earlier than 48 hours before arrival.

I suspect a lot of PLF's will be completed in the dining room on the morning of disembarkation.

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Friends of ours were on Regal Princess last week, their first with Princess Cruises. Their feedback about the Medallion system was the same as yours. They reckon that they spent 5 unsuccessful hours pre cruise trying to sort things and it was absolutely hopeless throughout the cruise.

We have just booked on our first Princess cruise this week for late October.  We have both downloaded the app, and flew through all the procedures and are now Green Lane group B.

No problems at all importing passport info, credit card and ID photos.  One phone was an Apple the other a Samsung.

I came away thinking how much better the proper app is than the P&O webpage, and looking forward to getting our medallion and trying it out.

1 hour ago, picsa said:

If you have registered for a PLF account, as P&O's email states you should, then you don't only need WiFi to complete the form but also need to have your phone connected to the mobile network to receive the SMS code to log in.

That should be interesting as the PLF has to be completed no earlier than 48 hours before arrival.

I suspect a lot of PLF's will be completed in the dining room on the morning of disembarkation.

We are on a Fred cruise in s week or so and been told we will need to fill the PLF's in on the morning of disembarkation because of connectivity problems when at when sea. 

It seems CLIA are in the process of trying to negotiate a more practical method to replace current PLF system for cruises, so fingers crossed.  We are told we will need to use the current system though, as it is not expected a replacement will have been agreed by then.

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

?????

Does that mean you buy the test via P&O and it is delivered to you on board the ship? If so it will be much better than having to source your own. I notice on line that there are bad reviews of Prenetics, basically because the kit does not arrive before you are due to go on holiday and so you don't get to go. Onboard delivery should solve that problem. BTW the same complaints are on line about Marella's provider Chronomics. I would hope that the test kits have sufficient shelf life that they can have a stockpile aboard. 

I should have put 'one stop shop'. Yes, sign-up, get it delivered on board along with day 2 test to take home. Shelf life is not a problem as the testing kits dont need temperature secure storage.

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Prenetics are doing the Southampton testing for the staycations. Our July test was easy as we were drop offs. The August 28th one however was a nightmare as we were in the car.  Took over 2 1/2 hours to be tested, then one of our group didn't get the test result because the operator took a digit wrong. In fairness to her the din in the tent was horrendous so I'm sure quite a few mistakes were made. Interestingly Princess staff seemed very used to the problem and called up the result instantly at check in/medallion collection.

Sadly, the system is still imperfect but its getting better. The number of mismatched tests has dropped dramatically. I should also add that as we get further into September, the number of ship calls at Southampton drop meaning less strain on the Prenetics testing will decrease. I think it was a period of about 6 weeks where significant ship calls clashed. It was not worth/possible to set up an extra testing station for such a short period.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Friends of ours were on Regal Princess last week, their first with Princess Cruises. Their feedback about the Medallion system was the same as yours. They reckon that they spent 5 unsuccessful hours pre cruise trying to sort things and it was absolutely hopeless throughout the cruise. They said that everyone they spoke to or overhead was complaining about it. Medallion system aside, they were very impressed with Princess and felt that it was a step up from P&O and far better value than Cunard, so it hasn’t put them off but those thinking that it has been sorted are misguided!

Interesting - thanks Selbourne. I know on Sky Princess they were having issues but that was not down to Medallion but the crew ordering system (although it may manifest the same to a passenger). I've travelled on Regal this summer and it was working perfectly so I'm sorry your friends had issues, or whether there was an issue on a particular cruise. Hopefully they offered their feedback onboard/afterwards so that the problems can be resolved in the future.

• Like 1