The Daily for Tuesday September 14, 2021

richwmn

Good evening. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I love crab, but only eat it out. I also love donuts, but don't eat them often. I am not creative.

I will try the meal this fall. I enjoyed George Burns and like the quote.

I am quite late today. I woke up not feeling all that well. Nothing in particular, just kind of blah. So, I've been reading the Daily off and on, watching movies with DH and basically not doing anything.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks Gerry.  He’ll survive - I might not 😉 

An extra glass?  I think I need two 😉.  But he’s starting to move a bit.  He came downstairs and realized I had taken both the dogs for a walk and came hobbling out to catch up on our way back.

Now, to see if he will listen to the nurse and dose himself with Robaxacet pre-bed, etc.  

You have my deepest sympathy!  -- retired ortho RN here who nursed hubby after a total knee replacement.....he doesn't/didn't follow my or the dr's post-op instructions very well until the PA really let him have it!

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

40 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Sorry if it sounded negative. This guy is so lovable I could never return him. He behaves like a puppy at times in a nine year old body! Actually he has a sad history. His original owner passed away last year. The family couldn't keep him so gave him up for adoption from a shelter. Someone adopted him but returned him after four months: "They didn't have time for him." He was returned undernourished, depressed, a kidney infection, and a case of diarrhea. Plus admitted he was kept in a crate up to 24 hours at times.

Chesapeake Area Alaskan Malamute Protection (CHAAMP) took ownership of him in June. But then was bounced between a paid kennel and two different fosters. They actually classified him as a hospice dog with his hip dysplasia and the amount of meds needed by him. CHAAMP was prepared to have him live the remainder of his life at a kennel figuring no one would adopt him at his age.  I had adopted my last rescue from CHAAMP ("My Sweetie Girl", Juno) that I had to put down this past June at 13 years of age.  Sam was online at their website then. I knew he was my next dog!

You didn’t sound negative ( and I hope I didn’t). We would certainly not have returned any of ours. We just noticed they realized  when they were not guests, but family. I’m still surprised and relieved our Golden is such an angel when he goes to visit his “uncle”. He saves the “cut ups” for us. (No stealing shoes, undies, doing trash cans, doing “things” with blankets, etc.)

It sounds like you and Sam are doubly blessed. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We are certainly enjoying our time at the cottage. We did get hit with the appliance flu though! The dishwasher would not work; it would go through the cycles but there was not enough water to dissolve the detergent pod. Luckily, it is still covered by an extended warranty (I think!) and someone is coming tomorrow to fix it. I'll let you know how that works out...

The other day we took a nice country drive and ended up at the Buckhorn Locks (#31 on the Trent-Severn Waterway). Spent some time enjoying the sun and watching the boats lock through -

one.pdf 2.34 MB · 26 downloads

two.pdf 2.89 MB · 18 downloads

three.pdf 2.43 MB · 20 downloads

Note - I am not using my normal computer and cannot get the photos to post right side up, so I am doing PDFs instead. 

Also, I would like to know which bakery @Mr. Boston uses to find the crab and cream filled donuts 😁!!!

It’s a secret. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Wow, Debbie, so happy to hear that the PG is good service now after the previous reports. 

The PG is a nice way to start the day 👍 

Hope the great times continue!

Jacqui, we also had great service in the PG at breakfast and the one time we went for lunch. Craig didn’t have to ask for his Tabasco after day two.  And we had no problem getting our Mimosas on the last day.  We were disappointed with the service during our Rudi’s dinner but it was partially our fault because we told them that we weren’t in a hurry.  

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Jacqui, we also had great service in the PG at breakfast and the one time we went for lunch. Craig didn’t have to ask for his Tabasco after day two.  And we had no problem getting our Mimosas on the last day.  We were disappointed with the service during our Rudi’s dinner but it was partially our fault because we told them that we weren’t in a hurry.  

We've learned not to them or the MDR servers that we're not in a hurry. 🤣

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

@kpladyGlad to hear the surgery went well.  Rest and recover.

@irishjimPositive thoughts  headed to you for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

@smitty34877Thanks for the update on baby Camilla.  Sweet baby. Glad she is doing so well.

We did have fortune cookies for dinner yesterday. The gas company came to my DD's house yesterday to change the gas meter. And discovered a couple of things they red tagged, and a small gas leak.  She couldn't get anyone to look at it until today, and so she brought her 2 little boys here for a bath, and then left them here while they went to vote in an advance poll for the upcoming federal election.  They returned with Chinese food for dinner, as they didn't want to have dishes to do at their house.  As for Peanut Day yesterday, the youngest DGS has a peanut allergy, so he didn't get to enjoy the Chinese food or the fortune cookies. For a family that lived on peanut butter it has been an adjustment!  The gas repair was completed today, and the gas is back on. The repair man was pretty sure that the one who changed the meter caused the leak!  But it is repaired, and they are safe.

• Like 13

Thanks for all the daily information, and  the port of the day photos.

@kplady thanks for the update, hope you will soon have recovered sufficiently to go home.

@JAM37 hope you will be feeling better by tomorrow.

@smitty34877thanks for sharing the photo of Camilla, wht is her weight now?

It's a pleasant sunny day, temperature high of 12 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow, Debbie, so happy to hear that the PG is good service now after the previous reports. 

The PG is a nice way to start the day 👍 

Hope the great times continue!

Different people have different impressions.  As soon as we walk in our Virgin Marys are ordered.  The wait staff are all friendly.

Now the internet is another story.  Fortunately, I can read Spanish, but not all can.  To have all the sites come up in Spanish is unacceptable.  Even the HAL site comes up in Spanish with an admonition that they have had to redirect me too often.  I was playing around with it and it gave my location as somewhere in Chile.  And then there are the sites it won't let me access like the Ohio Department of Health.  What gives with that?  I've never had this kind of trouble with internet.  Not even up inside the arctic circle.  If I could do a Zoom meeting while off the coast of Greenland there is no excuse for the poor performance here.  Also, it is apparently down every Monday.  

I should put this somewhere else instead of bringing down the Daily.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Different people have different impressions.  As soon as we walk in our Virgin Marys are ordered.  The wait staff are all friendly.

Now the internet is another story.  Fortunately, I can read Spanish, but not all can.  To have all the sites come up in Spanish is unacceptable.  Even the HAL site comes up in Spanish with an admonition that they have had to redirect me too often.  I was playing around with it and it gave my location as somewhere in Chile.  And then there are the sites it won't let me access like the Ohio Department of Health.  What gives with that?  I've never had this kind of trouble with internet.  Not even up inside the arctic circle.  If I could do a Zoom meeting while off the coast of Greenland there is no excuse for the poor performance here.  Also, it is apparently down every Monday.  

It's good information. Especially for those of us who will be on the NA in the next few months. Thank you. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dfish said:

First of all, you’re not bringing down the Daily.  Information is a good thing and I can’t blame you for being ticked.

I wonder in the internet person on board is incompetent or in other words, the same one we had for Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas?  There is stuff they can do with the radar thing (dont’ know what it is called) but every time it was adjusted on that infamous cruise, we lost internet.  

I’d definitely be complaining to HAL about this.  

• Like 6

11 hours ago, kazu said:

First of all, you’re not bringing down the Daily.  Information is a good thing and I can’t blame you for being ticked.

I wonder in the internet person on board is incompetent or in other words, the same one we had for Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas?  There is stuff they can do with the radar thing (dont’ know what it is called) but every time it was adjusted on that infamous cruise, we lost internet.  

I’d definitely be complaining to HAL about this.  

Ditto. “What she said” I used the Navigator Ap to air some grievances and received prompt  replies. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

So where did you attend University?

Trent Univrsity.  Peterborough

At the time, they specialized in the old fashioned small, personalized classes.  Great spot.  Great people and fantastic professors.  One of my Spanish professors was an artist of repute and actually did some work at the University.  Another was a poet.

And another who was my mentor for my thesis had numerous works published.  I believe my thesis is in one of his books - an analysis of Pablos Neurda’s final stage of poetry (in Spanish of course 😉)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kazu said:

Trent Univrsity.  Peterborough

At the time, they specialized in the old fashioned small, personalized classes.  Great spot.  Great people and fantastic professors.  One of my Spanish professors was an artist of repute and actually did some work at the University.  Another was a poet.

And another who was my mentor for my thesis had numerous works published.  I believe my thesis is in one of his books - an analysis of Pablos Neurda’s final stage of poetry (in Spanish of course 😉)

Small world! 

I remember when the Ontonabee campus was built and have driven by it countless times back and forth between our cottage and Peterborough. I always thought Trent was a good school and even considered going there myself. I have even played tennis on their courts...

1 minute ago, Overhead Fred said:

Small world! 

I remember when the Ontonabee campus was built and have driven by it countless times back and forth between our cottage and Peterborough. I always thought Trent was a good school and even considered going there myself. I have even played tennis on their courts...

Small world indeed 😉 

It was not well known when I went but an excellent University.  I was accepted to Queens along with others but opted for Trent as I liked the concept.  I never regretted the decision.