Confirm testing two days prior to sailing……If we sail on a Saturday, test on either Thursday or Friday? Thanks!

luv2ndhalf

Yes,  Thursday or Friday for a Saturday boarding. We tested on Wednesday two weeks ago for a Friday sailing.

From the Celebrity website https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

All vaccinated guests 12 years and older must present a negative Covid-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation 

• Like 1

The new 2 day requirement has put a real kink in my travel plans.  My BFF and I are driving from Virginia to Ft. Lauderdale.  It's a 2 day drive for us, so we'll be leaving on Friday for our Sunday departure.  (We like to get to FLL the day before the cruise.)  This means we'll have to have our test done the morning that we leave.  Fortunately, we can make an appointment at our local urgent care to get the test done at 8 AM on Friday, and we'll have the results and corresponding documentation by 9 AM.  We'll get on the road later than we'd like, but it's doable.  I suspect others who have a longer drive to the port may have issues with the timing for their tests and departure. 

12 minutes ago, Janet524 said:

The new 2 day requirement has put a real kink in my travel plans.  My BFF and I are driving from Virginia to Ft. Lauderdale.  It's a 2 day drive for us, so we'll be leaving on Friday for our Sunday departure.  (We like to get to FLL the day before the cruise.)  This means we'll have to have our test done the morning that we leave.  Fortunately, we can make an appointment at our local urgent care to get the test done at 8 AM on Friday, and we'll have the results and corresponding documentation by 9 AM.  We'll get on the road later than we'd like, but it's doable.  I suspect others who have a longer drive to the port may have issues with the timing for their tests and departure. 

Frankly, many of us envy those who can drive.  The majority of us have to fly in, and that presents much more logistical stress and a much bigger "kink".  To be as safe as can be and follow protocol, we need to test before our flight because we don't want to test positive and then be stuck in our port of embarkation without being able to fly home, and then do another test when we arrive (most of us fly in a day or two early).  At least if, heaven forbid, you don't get your results in time but rather on the road you can turn your car around and just drive back.

Best of luck to you on your testing and hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, luv2ndhalf said:

I know I have seen it in numerous places, but of course I cannot find it now. If we are set to sail on Saturday, and we are US residents, do we test on either Thursday or Friday? Thank you!

Thank you for the post.  I had made arrangements with my local FastLab two weeks ago, and didn't even think to check to make sure the test was done within the 2 day mandate.  Read your post and  decided to recheck my confirmation and of course I was one day off.  Called them this morning, and fortunately they changed it to Thursday the  23rd for my sailing on the Saturday September  25. sailing.   Much appreciated that you sent this reminder out.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Frankly, many of us envy those who can drive.  The majority of us have to fly in, and that presents much more logistical stress and a much bigger "kink".  To be as safe as can be and follow protocol, we need to test before our flight because we don't want to test positive and then be stuck in our port of embarkation without being able to fly home, and then do another test when we arrive (most of us fly in a day or two early).  At least if, heaven forbid, you don't get your results in time but rather on the road you can turn your car around and just drive back.

Best of luck to you on your testing and hope you have a great cruise!

OK here is the current scenario for most needing to fly into the port city.  In this example, the cruise leaves on Saturday.  You have a flight on Friday because you did not want to fly on Saturday,  the day of the cruise.  You need to test on Thursday and hope for a negative result delivered to you on Thursday before you board your flight on Friday.  All good at that point.  Happy cruisers. 

But that scenario assumes flight(s) and connections within the timing needed.  But what if you live in a place where that timing is not possible?  You need to leave on Thursday instead of Friday for the Saturday cruise.  So you decide to test on Wednesday which gives you some confidence that you will be negative before you fly- but not valid for the Saturday cruise.  So you get to your port city and do the 2-day test on Thursday or Friday.  But it is positive.  Then what? Yes Celebrity will compensate your cruise with FCC.  But how do you quarantine?  And where?  How do you fly home?  The change from 3 days to 2 days has a lot of impact for some people in terms of risk if you cannot fly to the port city with a negative valid test result in hand taken 2 days prior to the cruise.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Frankly, many of us envy those who can drive.  The majority of us have to fly in, and that presents much more logistical stress and a much bigger "kink".  

And if on the day of testing you have to appointment and both are cancel then you have an issues because you are past the 48 hours to cancel with confidence. 

It seems like everyone has to have 2 or 3 way to get a test and to me that is stressful.

And it is best to test before leaving home area as you would not want to get quarantined in the city the ship leaves from

Time for more production of tests, more sites that do them, and perhaps too another company besides eMed with folks not even in the USA.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

OK here is the current scenario for most needing to fly into the port city.  In this example, the cruise leaves on Saturday.  You have a flight on Friday because you did not want to fly on Saturday,  the day of the cruise.  You need to test on Thursday and hope for a negative result delivered to you on Thursday before you board your flight on Friday.  All good at that point.  Happy cruisers. 

But that scenario assumes flight(s) and connections within the timing needed.  But what if you live in a place where that timing is not possible?  You need to leave on Thursday instead of Friday for the Saturday cruise.  So you decide to test on Wednesday which gives you some confidence that you will be negative before you fly- but not valid for the Saturday cruise.  So you get to your port city and do the 2-day test on Thursday or Friday.  But it is positive.  Then what? Yes Celebrity will compensate your cruise with FCC.  But how do you quarantine?  And where?  How do you fly home?  The change from 3 days to 2 days has a lot of impact for some people in terms of risk if you cannot fly to the port city with a negative valid test result in hand taken 2 days prior to the cruise.

Could not do it under these circumstances, way to much uncertainty and stress, ships will still be sailing when I am ready to go ??????

39 minutes ago, 39august said:

Rick. I believe under the current Healthy at Sea protocols it says that if you test positive within 14 days of your cruise that the cruise fare will be refunded to you.  Is that not correct?  No FCC. 

I haven't seen refund language in the Healthy at Sea protocols (if it's there, I hope someone will quote and link to it).  However, the cruise ticket that accompanied our recent final payment does say a passenger who tests positive within 14 days of the cruise will be denied boarding and "entitled to a refund or future cruise credit. . . " (See language below.)  00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYV7KANkBhZEbdqT2ZonK_t5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1630849267

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 39august said:

Rick. I believe under the current Healthy at Sea protocols it says that if you test positive within 14 days of your cruise that the cruise fare will be refunded to you.  Is that not correct?  No FCC. 

I thought it was FCC but honestly it does not matter.  Being stuck in the port city is the point.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Missymo said:

Thank you for the post.  I had made arrangements with my local FastLab two weeks ago, and didn't even think to check to make sure the test was done within the 2 day mandate.  Read your post and  decided to recheck my confirmation and of course I was one day off.  Called them this morning, and fortunately they changed it to Thursday the  23rd for my sailing on the Saturday September  25. sailing.   Much appreciated that you sent this reminder out.  

• For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 3 days before your sail date for UNVACCINATED (UNDER 12)guests and no more than 2 days for VACCINATED  How to calculate 3 and 2 days before: The day you set sail is not included as one of the days. For example,UNVACCINATED if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before your sailing and for VACCINATED  2 days you can take the test Thursday or Friday.
  • Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel.      
  • For fully vaccinated guests living in the United States, a home-test kit is available for purchase on our Website. We are working with Optum, an authorized medical provider to offer this option to our guests. Complete your pre-cruise test kit at home or any place of your choosing with the help of live video supervision by a Certified Guide. 

TEST KIT - SHIPPING TIMES

We recommend ordering your test kit at least one full week before you plan to take your test. If you’re in a pinch, see below to understand if your order will arrive in time.

ORDER TEST KIT ON:                                GET TEST KIT NO LATER THAN:

Monday                                                        Thursday evening

Tuesday                                                        Friday evening       

Wednesday                                                  Monday evening

Thursday                                                       Tuesday evening   

Friday                                                            Wednesday evening

Saturday                                                       Wednesday evening

Sunday                                                          Wednesday evening         

Yes, pity us poor Canadians!  We can't access the Emed/Abbott proctored tests, even if we are in the US (eg. pre cruise hotel etc) as you must have a valid US phone number/e-mail etc.  We can't even set up the on-line account ...

So, we will have a test here to board the flight ($$), and then another test ($$) in Fort Lauderdale two days before the cruise (we are spending four days in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise). 

@39august was correct.  And thanks to @Turtles06 too.  Here is the official RCG (Royal Caribbean and Celebrity) Refund And Cancellation Policy For COVID-19.  From their website.  Yes full refunds or FCC if you test positive.  But it still does not solve what happens to you if Covid+ and stranded in the port city pre-cruise.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN GROUP REFUND* AND CANCELLATION POLICY FOR COVID-19

The  following  information  applies  to  sailings  on  Royal  Caribbean  International  and  Celebrity  Cruises   (collectively,  referred  to  herein  as  “RCG”)  scheduled  during  the  nationally  declared  Public  Health Emergency  involving  COVID-19.    Except  as  specifically  stated  below,  or  as  otherwise  provided  in  the   Cruise/CruiseTour  Ticket  Contract  (the  “Ticket  Contract”)  for  your  cruise,  the  standard  cancellation policies  and  penalties  described  in  the  Ticket  Contract  apply.      The  below  policies  are  effective  April  28, 2021  and  apply  to  all  RCG  cruises  scheduled  to  sail  between  April  28,  2021  and  October  31,  2021,  inclusive:    Cruise  Cancelled  By  RCG   If  your  cruise  is  cancelled  by  RCG  or  boarding  is  delayed  by  twenty-four  (24)  hours  or  more  due  to government order  or  declaration  of  a  Public  Health  Emergency,  you  are  entitled  to  a  refund  of  the  cruise fare  paid  to  RCG  within  180  days, or an  optional Future  Cruise  Credit (“FCC”).    Cruise Cancelled  By  Guest   •  If,  following  a  declaration  of  a  Public  Health  Emergency,  you  cancel  a  booking  for  a  cruise scheduled  during  the  declared  emergency,  or  must  cancel  your  booking  because  you  are  prohibited from  traveling  to  the  vessel  due  to  a  governmental  travel  restriction,  but  the  cruise  is  not  cancelled, you  are  entitled  to  a  FCC  for  the  cruise  fare  paid  to  RCG.    In  all  other  cases  our  standard  cancellation policy  will  apply,  as  set  forth  in  the  Ticket  Contract  for  your  cruise.     •  If  you,  or  someone  in  your  Travelling  Party,  cancel  a  cruise  booking  due  to  testing  positive  for COVID-19  within  14  days  of  embarkation,  you  and  they  are  entitled  to  a  refund,  or  an  optional FCC,  for  the  cruise  fare  paid  to  RCG.      If  you  had  close  contact  with  a  positive  or  suspected COVID19  case  within  14  days  of  embarkation,  and  RCG  deems  you  are  unfit  to  travel,  you,  and anyone  else  in  your  Travelling  Party  who  cancels,  are  eligible  for  a  refund  of  the  cruise  fare  paid to  RCG,  or  an  optional  FCC  equal  in  value  to  the  same.    To  qualify  for  a  refund  or  the  FCC,  if  your COVID19  test  was  administered  by  a  provider  other  than  one  retained  by  RCG,  you  must  present your  verified  positive  test  result  in  a  form  acceptable  to  RCG.     •  If  you  report,  or  we  identify,  that  you  may  have  been  exposed  to  or  are  likely  to  have  been  infected by  COVID-19,  we  may  require  that  you  and  others  in  your  Travelling  Party  do  not  travel  to  the port.    This  is  in  order  to  prevent  the  transmission  of  COVID-19.  Anyone  effectively  denied boarding  in  these  circumstances  will  be  entitled  to  a  refund,  or  an  optional  FCC,  for  the  cruise  fare paid  to  RCG.     Denial  of  Embarkation  or  Reboarding;  Quarantine  and/or  Disembarkation   •  If  you,  your  family  members,  travelling  companions  or  other  close  contacts  are  denied embarkation  or  reboarding,  or  quarantined  or  disembarked  during  the  voyage,  due  to  a  positive COVID-19  test  or  being  suspected  of  having  COVID-19,  you  and  they  are  entitled  to  a  refund, or  an  optional  FCC,  for  the  cruise  fare  paid  to  RCG  in  the  event  of  denial  at  embarkation,  or  a pro-rated  refund  or prorated  FCC  for the  unused  portion  of your cruise  fare  in  all other cases.    1   •  If you  test positive  for COVID-19  during  the  voyage,  the  cruise  line  will:     •  cover the  cost  of  necessary  COVID-19  related  medical  treatment  onboard  the  ship;   •  coordinate  and  cover  the  costs  of  any  required  land-based  quarantine  for  you  and  members  of your  Travelling  Party;  and   •  coordinate  and  cover  the  costs  of  travel  arrangements  to  get  you  and  members  of  your Travelling  Party  back  home.   We  will  also  provide  the  same  assistance  to  identified  close  contacts  if  they  are  required  to quarantine  onboard  or  are  disembarked  or  denied  re-boarding  due  to  have  been  in  close  contact  to a  guest  who  tests  positive  for  COVID-19.   •  If  a  guest  who  purchased  flights  through  the  cruise  line  is  denied  boarding  at  embarkation  or reboarding,  or  is  disembarked  during  the  voyage  due  to  a  positive  COVID-19  test  or  being suspected  of  having  COVID-19,  the  cruise  line  will  coordinate  the  travel  arrangements,  and cover  the  airline  change  fees  and  any  difference  in  the  airfare  for  the  same  class  of  service, necessary  to  fly  the  guest  back  to  the  city  of  their  original  flight  departure  point.      If  such  a guest  did  not  purchase  flights  through  the  cruise  line,  the  cruise  line  will  assist  with coordinating  travel  arrangements  necessary  to  get  the  guest  back  home  but  will  not  be responsible  for any  associated  costs.    Obligation  to  Comply  with  RCG  COVID-19 Policies and Procedures   Guests  denied  embarkation  or  reboarding,  or  who  are  disembarked  or  quarantined  during  the  voyage,  for failure  to  comply  with  the  RCG  COVID-19  Policies  and  Procedures  in  effect  at  the  time  of  the  cruise,  shall not  be  entitled  to  a  refund  or  FCC,  compensation  of  any  kind,  or  any  of  the  assistance  described  in  this Policy.      Please  refer  to  the  Ticket  Contract  issued  for  your  cruise  for  complete  details.     General   For  purposes  of  this  Policy,  your  “Travelling  Party”  means  your  family  members  living  with  you  in  the same  household  and  travelling  companions assigned  to  your stateroom  on  the  cruise.   This  Policy  does  not  apply  to  guests  booked  on  chartered  sailings.       The  terms  of  this  Policy  will  remain  in  full  force  until  we  choose,  in  our  sole  discretion,  to  update  or  modify all  or  part  of  it.  Updates  or  the  modifications  may  be  made  and  shall  be  effective  without  publication, although  we  will  endeavor  to  post  any  updates  or  changes  in  a  timely  manner  to  a  publicly  accessible  forum such  as the  Royal Caribbean  Group  websites or mobile  phone  applications.     ________________________   *All  refund  requests must be  made  within  six  (6) months of the  date  your booking  is cancelled  or the scheduled  embarkation  date, whichever is earlier, or you  will only  be  entitled  to  a  Future  Cruise  Credit for the  amount specified.     04/2021   2   

7 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Yes, pity us poor Canadians!  We can't access the Emed/Abbott proctored tests, even if we are in the US (eg. pre cruise hotel etc) as you must have a valid US phone number/e-mail etc.  We can't even set up the on-line account ...

So, we will have a test here to board the flight ($$), and then another test ($$) in Fort Lauderdale two days before the cruise (we are spending four days in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise). 

Have you spoken to someone at Emed/Abbott to see if there is a workaround? I regularly run into website forms whose designers have never made allowances for non-US customers. I suspect that Emed/Abbott don't want to run tests other than in the US, and set up their account form accordingly, but they might not have even considered Canadians travelling to the US and getting tested. If you haven't called them, it might be worth your while giving it a try.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Have you spoken to someone at Emed/Abbott to see if there is a workaround? I regularly run into website forms whose designers have never made allowances for non-US customers. I suspect that Emed/Abbott don't want to run tests other than in the US, and set up their account form accordingly, but they might not have even considered Canadians travelling to the US and getting tested. If you haven't called them, it might be worth your while giving it a try.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try.  I never got a reply to my e-mail, and others reported here that it was not possible but perhaps if I'm physically in the US when taking the test that will make a difference.  I'll give them a call but I've decided to wait until closer to our travel date (November 😎 so that I have all the current testing requirements understood .... or at least am aware of them!

3 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

I guess it doesn't hurt to try.  I never got a reply to my e-mail, and others reported here that it was not possible but perhaps if I'm physically in the US when taking the test that will make a difference.  I'll give them a call but I've decided to wait until closer to our travel date (November 😎 so that I have all the current testing requirements understood .... or at least am aware of them!

Given how often things change, waiting is a very good idea. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! 🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I thought it was FCC but honestly it does not matter.  Being stuck in the port city is the point.

21 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And it is best to test before leaving home area as you would not want to get quarantined in the city the ship leaves from

Time for more production of tests, more sites that do them, and perhaps too another company besides eMed with folks not even in the USA.   

It’s very tough right now. Increased production of tests will take time and frankly, the market has to be there. The Recent Biden speech confuses matters considerably, - what he proposed regarding testing is a great idea that has been preached since the beginning of the pandemic, but the devil is in the details of launching the testing program. A lot of test kits have expired unused and the manufacturers will want some guarantees before ramping up production. Another problem is manufacturing capacity - will we start to run low on testing for other illnesses, we’ve already seen some of that. 
Im going to sound nagging now, but the best insurance is to isolate yourself, including masking when no one else is (I swear that’s the hardest!) for a couple of weeks before the trip. Get a PCR 1 week out and have a backup plan. If you have to fly cross country or transatlantic, maybe this isn’t the time to go, sad to say. 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, cruzzzinma said:

Yes,  Thursday or Friday for a Saturday boarding. We tested on Wednesday two weeks ago for a Friday sailing.

All vaccinated guests 12 years and older must present a negative Covid-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, cruzzzinma said:

Anyone have any idea why or the rationale used to say vaccinated guests only get 2 days to take their test and unvaccinated guests get 3???

On 9/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, TeeRick said:

The 2-day requirement is frustrating and serves no useful purpose.  It merely pushes people toward less-accurate rapid tests.

My plan will be a PCR on Thursday, hopefully with a result before my flight on Friday for a Saturday embarkation.  Backup is a pre-flight rapid test on Friday.

22 minutes ago, D C said:

The 2-day requirement is frustrating and serves no useful purpose.  It merely pushes people toward less-accurate rapid tests.

My plan will be a PCR on Thursday, hopefully with a result before my flight on Friday for a Saturday embarkation.  Backup is a pre-flight rapid test on Friday.

Just curious, but why PCR?

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Just curious, but why PCR?

Higher 'accuracy' with lower risk of a false positive.  

Good info on the rapid tests here:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/letters-health-care-providers/potential-false-positive-results-antigen-tests-rapid-detection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory

These 3 bullet items really scream "remember that these rapid tests really aren't that good"

• Consider the CDC's recommendations when using antigen testing in nursing homes and other settings. For positive results, especially in low incidence counties, consider performing confirmatory RT-PCR test within 48 hours.
  • Remember that positive predictive value (PPV) varies with disease prevalence when interpreting results from diagnostic tests. PPV is the percent of positive test results that are true positives. As disease prevalence decreases, the percent of test results that are false positives increase.
    • For example, a test with 98% specificity would have a PPV of just over 80% in a population with 10% prevalence, meaning 20 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.
    • The same test would only have a PPV of approximately 30% in a population with 1% prevalence, meaning 70 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.  This means that, in a population with 1% prevalence, only 30% of individuals with positive test results actually have the disease.
    • At 0.1% prevalence, the PPV would only be 4%, meaning that 96 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.
    • Health care providers should take the local prevalence into consideration when interpreting diagnostic test results.
  • Consider positive results in combination with clinical observations, patient history, and epidemiological information.
Edited by D C