COVID Testing at CVS?

SwimCarrie

My apologies, I know these posts are getting redundant. Can I just get my COVID testing done at CVS for free? Why aren't people mentioning it? I can book an appointment 2 weeks out for 2 days prior and it specifically says it's for travel. Seems pretty stress free, so what am I missing? LOL.

• Like 2

Good question , I was hoping to arrive in Ft Lauderdale  3 days before our cruise but now might arrive 2 days before if there is a rapid testing CVS near the cruise terminal .  Any information  and ideas are greatly appreciated . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

My apologies, I know these posts are getting redundant. Can I just get my COVID testing done at CVS for free? Why aren't people mentioning it? I can book an appointment 2 weeks out for 2 days prior and it specifically says it's for travel. Seems pretty stress free, so what am I missing? LOL.

Nobody around where I am is mentioning it because no CVS around here is offering the rapid test. If you can book at CVS two days out for a rapid test, I think that's great. You should make sure that it's one of the rapid tests, since the other type might not get results back to you in time.

• Like 2

I've been posting about CVS rapid antigen AND/OR rapid PCR/NAAT tests.  So far, I have not been charged.  I have given them my Medicare number.  

Around me (Southern California), I have 2 options near me and several father away from the port.  My experience with regular tests have always come back plus a lot of stress.  I would not take that chance with a 2 day turn around required by Princess.

• Like 2

So far since restart, 3 cruises, 3 antigen tests at CVS. Results back within an hour. 
where I am CVS allows scheduling 12 days out. Walgreen only 3 days out.

nothing out of pocket for any of them. 

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 1

I have read reports here on Cruise Critic that CVS was canceling some rapid antigen test appointments because they ran out of the test kits. I have no idea how common that is. (I want to say the poster reporting it was from NJ, but I'm not certain of that)

In my area, upstate New York, CVS shows the closest locations offering the antigen tests were in Maine. So that pretty much kills CVS as an option here. If you can get it in your area though, it's a good option.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I've been posting about CVS rapid antigen AND/OR rapid PCR/NAAT tests.  So far, I have not been charged.  I have given them my Medicare number.  

Around me (Southern California), I have 2 options near me and several father away from the port.  My experience with regular tests have always come back plus a lot of stress.  I would not take that chance with a 2 day turn around required by Princess.

Will the rapid test work or does it have to be PCR test that take a few days? Both are "supervised", right? Which test should I take? 

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

So far since restart, 3 cruises, 3 antigen tests at CVS. Results back within an hour. 
where I am CVS allows scheduling 12 days out. Walgreen only 3 days out.

nothing out of pocket for any of them. 

Is that the PCR test? There are quite a few CVS's in the Anaheim area that offer PCR with 1-2 day turnaround but I'm confused about the "rapid test". Is that the one they do while you wait? Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

Is that the PCR test? There are quite a few CVS's in the Anaheim area that offer PCR with 1-2 day turnaround but I'm confused about the "rapid test". Is that the one they do while you wait? Thanks. 

Yes, the rapid test is an antigen test.  Some cvs have them (in my area most are pcr, some antigen). You usually get results in around an hour.  

(a pcr can be a rapid test but it usually is not.  I won’t bore everyone  with the explanation! 😉)

8 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

As I said in my post, we did the antigen (rapid) test because the results come back much quicker than the PCR (less than an hour vs. up to 24 hours). 

in our area, some CVS locations do antigen only, some do PCR only. None of them do both. 

both are no out of pocket cost, with or without insurance. 

in our area both Walgreens and Walmart do the same.  

• Thanks 1

CVS Minute Clinic is now offering both rapid antigen and PCR test with results back in an hour. (I did it at the same place as SFKAREN and Toescat.) The website has test 'availability' out 2 weeks. I need to book by mid November for December cruise. 

The NP wanted my insurance card & ID. I never saw a bill. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ombud said:

CVS Minute Clinic is now offering both rapid antigen and PCR test with results back in an hour. (I did it at the same place as SFKAREN and Toescat.) The website has test 'availability' out 2 weeks. I need to book by mid November for December cruise.

OP - try a test sign up on the CVS website using the port zip code (33316) or the zip code of your hotel to find the nearest CVS offering testing.

Alternatively - and this will cost you but may be reimbursed by your insurance - if you are flying into Fort Lauderdale airport, you can get tested there.  Description:  https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx.  Making an appointment:  https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

• Thanks 1

I posted this in another thread but will post again here for those that didn't see.

When I went to Quest for my alternate monthly diabetes blood test I asked about the Princess post. They knew nothing about it

I live in Fr. Lauderdale and suggest you call the CVS you intend to go to. I go every couple months for a Covid test because I am out in the public selling advertising. The last time I went to the one by my house they told me they don't do the rapid tests however I did get my results back on there app in 2 days. Make sure you can get the rapid test if needed by calling the store.

Kathy

Edited by rabin1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

OP - try a test sign up on the CVS website using the port zip code (33316) or the zip code of your hotel to find the nearest CVS offering testing.

Alternatively - and this will cost you but may be reimbursed by your insurance - if you are flying into Fort Lauderdale airport, you can get tested there.  Description:  https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx.  Making an appointment:  https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

I'm sailing out of Los Angeles. Strangely no Quest locations available, so I'm going to take the CVS gamble. (I refuse to spend $70 for an online COVID test on a cruise that was less than $350!) 🤣 I'm going to take Princess at their word...if the results don't come back in time, they will have testing at the pier, right? (But I'll have to pay...boo!) I'm trying to keep it mellow. Zen. Happy place. No drama for your mama. 🤣

3 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

I I'm going to take Princess at their word...if the results don't come back in time, they will have testing at the pier, right?

I haven't seen where Princess is giving tests at the pier.  See this recent thread: 

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I haven't seen where Princess is giving tests at the pier.  See this recent thread: 

It's on the Princess website. Doesn't look to be up and running yet but they are saying it will be. It's under something like COVID protocol.

6 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

It's on the Princess website. Doesn't look to be up and running yet but they are saying it will be. It's under something like COVID protocol.

I agree it doesn't look like they are making any commitment to when it will be up and running or how much it will cost.  I hope you can find a CVS offering the tests.

COVID-19 Testing Requirements (https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/)

Will you offer COVID-19 testing near the terminal before my cruise?

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

Getting testing at CVS also depends on the number of cases occurring at the time where the CVS is located.  We had no problem getting one last month, but a friend who was pretty sure the kids had COVID was told at multiple locations and organizations that if they were only having mild symptoms, testing was not being done to save the tests for those with more symptoms.  So they definitely wouldn't do it for traveling!  We decided not to take the chance it was available for our fall cruise and ordered the eMed tests.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

I agree it doesn't look like they are making any commitment to when it will be up and running or how much it will cost.  I hope you can find a CVS offering the tests.

COVID-19 Testing Requirements (https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/)

Will you offer COVID-19 testing near the terminal before my cruise?

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

Taking into consideration Princess' track record, I would not count on having a test site up and ready anytime soon.

Confirming.  A few CVS's have EITHER Rapid PCR/NAAT or antigen tests (not both at the same location).  Turn around time is anywhere from 15 minutes (verbal) to one hour to receive documentation.  I would not trust any PCR test that needs to be sent out to a lab (Walgreens/RiteAid).  Most results will not return within 2 days

7 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

I called and asked about that a week ago, CSR said they hadn't heard about it on princess yet.  Saw YouTube vid said carnival gave up the idea due to logistics.  I'd call them directly and see what the situation currently is.  

17 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

I would ask at the CVS that you plan on using if it is a Rapid or a PCR test that they are offering. I checked with the CVS in my town and they were only offering the PCR test and they couldn't guarantee the results coming back within 2 days ...........and they also said that at the moment it was taking 3 days to get the results. I also asked about the price and they told me that the cost would be $150, payable at the time of the exam. 

Other people have gotten different answers from the CVS pharmacies in their area, So, I suggest to call the pharmacy or clinic you are thinking of going to and find out what they are doing or offering; as things seem to be different from location to location.

8 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

As of an article on Cruise Radio dated 5 days ago, Princess has given up on trying to do testing at the terminal. 

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-nixes-on-site-covid-testing-option/

That article quotes the president of Carnival Cruise Line (Christine Duffy) not Carnival Corporation (Arnold Donald).  Like Carnival Cruise Line, Princess is one of the lines under the Carnival Corporation umbrella.  The policies and procedures of the various lines are not in lock step with each other but if I was a betting person, I would bet that Princess pulls the plug too.