COVID Testing at CVS?

SwimCarrie

Thanks for the clarification. I personally believe neither Princess nor Holland will set up at the terminal testing either. Viking took the initiative to set up test facilities on all their vessels. Too bad Carnival didn't see this issue coming....

Posted on another thread, but the jest is that Princess told me (today:  9/20) I had to get off the ship, test at pier (San Pedro) before continuing on with my b2b.  So which will it be????  Out of my control and will just see what happens on my first cruise.

• Like 1

We tried to get the quick test at our local mini-clinic here near Memphis TN. We are on Medicare and TricareForLife <TFL, retired military>. We were told unless you think you might be ill, the cost would be $200 per person! Holy Cow, Batman. We feel fine and have no reason to think we'd been infected. I probably could have coughed a couple times and said we felt ill, but that's not in my nature, so we elected to not get the covid test before flying to the west coast to visit my family in a couple of days.  Same for the third COVID shots; apparently many are able to get them by fudging the truth a bit. 😉

So people elsewhere are getting tested at places like CVS without a charge? How? Is my local mini-clinic just a bunch of crooks? That would not surprise me! 😝 Or are people implying they feel ill to get the test at no cost? Our next cruise is not until February, but I am curious how it's working for folks who are trying to meet that 2 days prior deadline. We do have a couple of CVS stores in town so I can check those out for future reference.

Doug

5 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We tried to get the quick test at our local mini-clinic here near Memphis TN. We are on Medicare and TricareForLife <TFL, retired military>. We were told unless you think you might be ill, the cost would be $200 per person! Holy Cow, Batman. We feel fine and have no reason to think we'd been infected. I probably could have coughed a couple times and said we felt ill, but that's not in my nature, so we elected to not get the covid test before flying to the west coast to visit my family in a couple of days.  Same for the third COVID shots; apparently many are able to get them by fudging the truth a bit. 😉

So people elsewhere are getting tested at places like CVS without a charge? How? Is my local mini-clinic just a bunch of crooks? That would not surprise me! 😝 Or are people implying they feel ill to get the test at no cost? Our next cruise is not until February, but I am curious how it's working for folks who are trying to meet that 2 days prior deadline. We do have a couple of CVS stores in town so I can check those out for future reference.

Doug

Tell them you are in sales and work with the public and like getting the test every so often. That is what I tell them which happens to be the truth. Best wishes Kathy

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

No, I'm not going to lie. As far as I know, it's open to all in California. 

20 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

So people elsewhere are getting tested at places like CVS without a charge? How? Is my local mini-clinic just a bunch of crooks? That would not surprise me! 😝 Or are people implying they feel ill to get the test at no cost?

DS and I were tested at a CVS Minute Clinic that was about a 5-minute drive. We were able to register and choose a time slot about 2 weeks ahead. They gave the option of PCR or rapid antigen test and we chose the latter. Their screening process asked why we were seeking the test and we selected the option that had something to do with requirement for travel -- so we did not lie. 

We had our test results back within 30 minutes although they said it could be up to an hour.

We provided insurance info and our insurance covered it fully (I have seen the statement from insurance company).

Here’s my story as I was getting ready for my cruise departing 9/4 (please be sure to read to the end):

My PCP will not test me since it’s for travel and I am asymptomatic. I also contacted my insurance company to ask if they would reimburse me for a Covid test if I was asymptomatic. No.  So…

Plan A was to use CVS. I called MinuteClinic (who does the testing for CVS). I explained the situation and asked if I would be eligible for the federal program for testing. Reina said no since I’m asymptotic, the test would be $120. 

On to Plan B https://www.covidclinic.org/. Rapid antigen $75. At the airport parking lot before I fly out. So I made an appt*. Day of flight I got my test (very well organized!) and checked in for my flight. While I was at the gate, I checked my phone: I had received my results in 15 min! 

*When I made my appt, I could also get a free PCR test if I wanted so why not? So I was given both the rapid antigen and (regular) PCR tests. The PCR results came in at about 67 hours. Covidclinic.org offers a rapid PCR test (results in ~2 hours) for $300. 

- - - - - - 

The other people I was traveling with had their Covid tests with CVS. Medicare and private insurance. None of them were charged. So maybe if I had just went to CVS it would have been free? 🤷🏻‍♀️

I went to CVS for rapid antigen test for August 20th cruise. Made appointment online 2 weeks ahead of time and insurance covered it.  No problem. 

I need to book a rapid antigen test in 2 weeks and no cvs within driving distance has rapid antigen appointments 2 weeks out.  Could have to do with CVS running out of rapid tests.

I am in Tampa, so be careful of counting on CVS in Florida. 

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

What’s amazing to me is why don’t the cruise lines make testing available on the day of the cruise. If they want and need this test to be done, why not offer those tests to its passengers .

I mean they are testing everyone as they get off the ship so why not.

I believe most of the cruise lines feel it would be a logistical nightmare trying to test and check in 2,000-3,000 passengers.

They are not testing everyone as they get off the ship.  Only those under 12 who are not vaccinated and those who are flying internationally.

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

What’s amazing to me is why don’t the cruise lines make testing available on the day of the cruise. If they want and need this test to be done, why not offer those tests to its passengers .

16 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I believe most of the cruise lines feel it would be a logistical nightmare trying to test and check in 2,000-3,000 passengers.

They are not testing everyone as they get off the ship.  Only those under 12 who are not vaccinated and those who are flying internationally.

1. NCL (and another cruise line I think) is testing all passengers on embarkation. 
2. I was just on HAL to Alaska. We were NOT tested prior to debarkation.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Some of the cruise lines do offer testing on embarkation day.

• Like 1