Cost/How quick was your Covid test to travel?

tbmrt

This is from CVS website:

COVID-19 testing is performed at no cost to you. Health insurance companies are required to cover 100% of the cost. If you have insurance, we will ask for those details. If not, we may ask for your Social Security number or driver's license/state ID in order to bill the federal program for the uninsured. In either case, you will owe nothing out of pocket.

• Like 1

I fly frequently into and out of Japan, where a negative PCR COVID test is required.

I can book a PCR test at hundreds of labs in Tokyo, and get results in just a few hours.

The going price is US$24.

How is it possible that the same test in America takes so much longer and costs so much more money?

17 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

I fly frequently into and out of Japan, where a negative PCR COVID test is required.

I can book a PCR test at hundreds of labs in Tokyo, and get results in just a few hours.

The going price is US$24.

How is it possible that the same test in America takes so much longer and costs so much more money?

Is that a serious question? 🙄

Just a heads up on testing at CVS. This is a section off their website relating to costs for Covid tests. Also, my insurance, Blue Cross, Blue Shield, does not pay for Covid tests unless ordered by a healthcare professional. Therefore, I would have to pay the full $139. 

Cost and Payment 

Is there an out-of-pocket cost for patients with insurance?
Patients with insurance should not have any out-of-pocket costs for a covered COVID-19 test, but you should check with your health plan to confirm before scheduling a test. If you have health insurance, you must bring your card with you to the test site. For patients who test negative for COVID-19 through a rapid test and come into the clinic, the clinic visit should be considered part of your test by your health plan. You likely will not have any out-of-pocket costs for the in-clinic visit, or for testing to further evaluate COVID-like symptoms, but you should check with your health plan to confirm coverage. You will be responsible for any patient cost share as determined by your insurance. If active coverage cannot be located, your test will be submitted to the federal program for the uninsured for payment.

20 hours ago, spotte said:

Just a heads up on testing at CVS. This is a section off their website relating to costs for Covid tests. Also, my insurance, Blue Cross, Blue Shield, does not pay for Covid tests unless ordered by a healthcare professional. Therefore, I would have to pay the full $139. 

Cost and Payment 

Is there an out-of-pocket cost for patients with insurance?
Patients with insurance should not have any out-of-pocket costs for a covered COVID-19 test, but you should check with your health plan to confirm before scheduling a test. If you have health insurance, you must bring your card with you to the test site. For patients who test negative for COVID-19 through a rapid test and come into the clinic, the clinic visit should be considered part of your test by your health plan. You likely will not have any out-of-pocket costs for the in-clinic visit, or for testing to further evaluate COVID-like symptoms, but you should check with your health plan to confirm coverage. You will be responsible for any patient cost share as determined by your insurance. If active coverage cannot be located, your test will be submitted to the federal program for the uninsured for payment.

DELETE

Edited by jwattle

On 9/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, evandbob said:

Sept 1 we did PCR tests at CVS, got results in 36 hrs, and presented the print outs for check in on Sept 4 for a Mardi Gras cruise.  CVS submitted any billing to our insurance company.  This was when the testing window was 3 days prior.

Now that it is down to 2 days, we'll probably do the Rapid Test at CVS for our next cruise in Nov., provided there isn't a drastic change in protocol by then.

Well, we wound up at a local MedExpress Thursday morning and got our negative result rapid tests done within an hour while supplying our med insurance info. 

Sailing at 4pm today on Celebrity Edge!

We'll start the drive to FLL in about 2 hours for our 1PM check in time.

I took the rapid antigen test from my "local" CVS (it was an hour away from home, but the closest that offered this particular test).  Despite a warning of delayed results, they were sent to me in less than an hour.  NEGATIVE.  They took my insurance info, so I assume they're getting billed for this.  No payment was accepted from me.

11 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I took the rapid antigen test from my "local" CVS (it was an hour away from home, but the closest that offered this particular test).  Despite a warning of delayed results, they were sent to me in less than an hour.  NEGATIVE.  They took my insurance info, so I assume they're getting billed for this.  No payment was accepted from me.

Yup, that's about the same for us (my wife and I)  about 45  min one way, took about 20 min for both the lady took pictures of our insurance card after the test, we drove home and an hour later CVS called with our results.. I asked how much the bill was, but she just laughed and said she didn't have a clue that was the billing department's job she was just the medical technician. To my knowledge, I guess my insurance paid, we never received a bill. We have another cruise (hopefully) next summer going out on the west coast ( SF) maybeee they'll pay for that test. But the way things change into today's world, who knows ?

Mac

• Like 1

We booked with our local CVS because Walgreens had no appointments.  Sadly CVS cancelled our appointment at the last minute!!

Fortunately we had ordered some of the at home proctored tests and were able to do this with no problem!  

we have another cruise next month and will doing just the at home test.  I cannot go through the stress of “no available or cancelled “ appointments again!!

Just a warning to folks to do your research and plan ahead for COVID testing.  Yesterday a local RiteAid pharmacist told us it was taking 5-7 days for her clients to get test results through local stores.  Apparently CVS has had similar delays.  These pharmacies tell you to expect results in less then 3 days but DO NOT guarantee that will happen.  We recently had to drive nearly 1 1/2 hours (each way) to a medical lab that guaranteed RT-PCR tests (required to fly to Barbados) in under 24 hours.   If you are going to need a test (especially a PCR test) for your trip/cruise plan ahead and carefully question the facility as to their actual turn around time.....

Hank

On 10/25/2021 at 10:00 PM, GTO-Girl said:

We booked with our local CVS because Walgreens had no appointments.  Sadly CVS cancelled our appointment at the last minute!!

Fortunately we had ordered some of the at home proctored tests and were able to do this with no problem!  

we have another cruise next month and will doing just the at home test.  I cannot go through the stress of “no available or cancelled “ appointments again!!

Hi, you know there are other places that do tests.......(besides CVS/Walgreens). I recently flew to Portugal and went to an Urgent Care Facility.  It was 5 bucks......I know the others do it for free but it was the best 5 bucks I have ever spent. No line, no waiting,  I made an appt and had the results in about 30 minutes.  No stress🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, you know there are other places that do tests.......(besides CVS/Walgreens). I recently flew to Portugal and went to an Urgent Care Facility.  It was 5 bucks......I know the others do it for free but it was the best 5 bucks I have ever spent. No line, no waiting,  I made an appt and had the results in about 30 minutes.  No stress🙂

We have also done a test at our local Urgent Care but since we always drive down to Florida two days early before a cruise we have to get our test done very early the morning we leave.  Since we have a 9hr drive it is more convenient for us to be able to do it our home then pack the car and leave.

I recently needed a PCR test to travel to Canada, had to be within 72 hrs of me driving across the border. I used a lab here in Pittsburgh that charges $100 for results within 24 hrs. I tested at 10am, got my results at 5.30pm.

For our Virgin Voyages cruise next May they are currently testing all passengers prior to boarding at the port.