Live From Majestic Princess - The Sept. 26th Last Alaska cruise of 2021 Season

farsight

Please know that no matter your good attitude on a cruise, posting to Cruise Critc would test the patience of Jobe. I think that's somewhere around level 10 and I am thinking I'm somewhere on level 8. Login, logout, refresh, repeat, peat, repeat! The surge from the balcony is really nice though! 🙃

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, trey420 said:

We are on lido you get some great positive and negative G feelings going.  Great for me not so much for the lady.  She's ready for this thing to dock.  She just took the seasickness pill hopefully she will be up soon.

@trey420Sea Emerald has some wrist sea bands (several colors) and she is more than happy to share with your lady. Let us know. We will be in our cabin for a bit. I think you can just call E333. We can meet somewhere. She is having problems posting and hers didn't go through.

Edited by farsight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vernonrjones said:

If you liked the seas last night, take a look at this special weather statement from the Juneau National Weather service office. Might be bumpy

0857B91C-77AF-4022-B017-3D7F10BE551C.png

Oh, baby, oh!!! May test the limits of my excitability. May make me re-think my speaking before thinking. However, if I haven't learned at 66...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trey420 said:

We are on lido you get some great positive and negative G feelings going.  Great for me not so much for the lady.  She's ready for this thing to dock.  She just took the seasickness pill hopefully she will be up soon.

In over 100 cruises, I’d only gotten physically ill from seasickness one time…until we were in L110 on the Majestic Princess in rough seas. I lost an entire day to either the seasickness or the remedy. 

• Like 6

On 9/27/2021 at 11:52 AM, tplombardo said:

In the past, pre-COVID, Princess Alaska cruises included a port-of-call in Victoria, BC to comply with the law.  It is only because of a Congressional exemption that this year we can make Alaska cruises without an international stop.  That is why we are cruising a full day in Glacier Bay instead of the shorter visits of the past.  I certainly don't blame Princess for this.  It is what it is.  But Victoria is a very nice port.  We will be glad when it is restored.

Did you really think things would be the same with Covid?  We always buy the beverage package so coffee is free to us.....

1 hour ago, vernonrjones said:

If you liked the seas last night, take a look at this special weather statement from the Juneau National Weather service office. Might be bumpy

0857B91C-77AF-4022-B017-3D7F10BE551C.png

Wow, there will be so much fun when the ship approaches Ketchikan Thursday night/Friday morning.

60mph of wind is no kidding. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, telecheck said:

Wow, there will be so much fun when the ship approaches Ketchikan Thursday night/Friday morning.

60mph of wind is no kidding. 

Once when we visited Ketchikan, the ship couldn't leave. The wind was pushing it towards the dock too hard. Usually, you hear of missing a port of call because the ship can't dock, but not usually the other way around.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, tplombardo said:

In the past, pre-COVID, Princess Alaska cruises included a port-of-call in Victoria, BC to comply with the law.  It is only because of a Congressional exemption that this year we can make Alaska cruises without an international stop.  That is why we are cruising a full day in Glacier Bay instead of the shorter visits of the past.  I certainly don't blame Princess for this.  It is what it is.  But Victoria is a very nice port.  We will be glad when it is restored.

Their is a bill now in Congress supported by AK Congressmen to permanently exempt AK cruises from having to stop in Victoria or any other Canadian port.  I have no idea how much support they are getting for the bill but time will tell.  Personally I could not care either way.  One thing this could do however is not only exempt cruises from Seattle but also cruises from Anchorage to Vancouver making it possible to sail from Seattle to Anchorage and return.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Once when we visited Ketchikan, the ship couldn't leave. The wind was pushing it towards the dock too hard. Usually, you hear of missing a port of call because the ship can't dock, but not usually the other way around.

That happened to us on the Crown Princess in Ushuaia (Argentina) at the southern tip of South America.  We were delayed about 8 hours and then encountered stiff winds (the ship was so angled that the shower water couldn't drain from our mini-suite bathtub; it just puddled in the back of the tub) en route to Cape Horn which is actually an island.  The captain finally announced "take a look at it in the distance since we will not be circumnavigating it but are heading for the Falklands." We heard no complaints and that wasn't a bad sail at all.

On another cruise, on a beautiful sunny fall morning we were within sight of the dock at Charleston when the captain announced that it looked lovely out now but a tropical storm was coming within the next few hours and he didn't want to get stuck at the dock.  We adjusted course for Fort Lauderdale and had a very rocky ride but made it on time.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

That happened to us on the Crown Princess in Ushuaia (Argentina) at the southern tip of South America.  We were delayed about 8 hours and then encountered stiff winds (the ship was so angled that the shower water couldn't drain from our mini-suite bathtub; it just puddled in the back of the tub) en route to Cape Horn which is actually an island.  The captain finally announced "take a look at it in the distance since we will not be circumnavigating it but are heading for the Falklands." We heard no complaints and that wasn't a bad sail at all.

On another cruise, on a beautiful sunny fall morning we were within sight of the dock at Charleston when the captain announced that it looked lovely out now but a tropical storm was coming within the next few hours and he didn't want to get stuck at the dock.  We adjusted course for Fort Lauderdale and had a very rocky ride but made it on time.

Exciting times. 😃

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

For our cruise last week, the captain made a decision to leave Skagway an hour earlier than the scheduled time due to expected high wind in that evening. Skagway is inside a very narrow inlet, so it is very difficult to turn the ship around in windy conditions. Good call made by the captain so that we could arrive Glacier Bay the following morning on time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, farsight said:

I have been absolutely loving the rough seas. Maybe it's my fascination and enjoyment of roller coasters, but I love the bucking and swaying of the ship. It appears that my iron stomach also applies to motion sickness. I think our next cabin might be on a higher deck and further forward. I do feel for those less fortunate and wish that they weren't suffering.

I think that maybe my family and I may be related to you! We also love the rock 'n roll of the ocean, regardless where we are on the ship. Keep us posted when the next storm hits. Yikes!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trey420 said:

Saw people going nuts at a store in piazza area.  Found out they had like 75% off Alaska stuff.  Looked like black Friday over there. 

Yup! This is what happens when you are on the last Alaska cruise of the season. We love it. And get ready for some great sales in Ketchikan.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

In over 100 cruises, I’d only gotten physically ill from seasickness one time…until we were in L110 on the Majestic Princess in rough seas. I lost an entire day to either the seasickness or the remedy. 

Hi There, we are booked into this cabin in November. My only question is about the balcony...my travel person said it's the steel balcony railing.. would you happen to have a pic of the balcony? Thank you so much. Or just tell me if it's the glass see through balcony or if it is obstructed. thanks again. Teri and Mike. 

2 hours ago, MikeNTeriAZ said:

Hi There, we are booked into this cabin in November. My only question is about the balcony...my travel person said it's the steel balcony railing.. would you happen to have a pic of the balcony? Thank you so much. Or just tell me if it's the glass see through balcony or if it is obstructed. thanks again. Teri and Mike. 

We were next door in L114, and it had glass on the balcony, rather than metal. We didn't consider it obstructed, but the bridge does stick out and block part of the view. We liked the cabin and location. Cruise Deckplans has a photo of L110 on the Regal, and shows glass. Should be the same on the Majestic.

Edited by Sea Hag
additional comment

3 hours ago, MikeNTeriAZ said:

It has a glass railing. However, the forward view is partially obstructed due to the bridge. 

229B3DFD-4638-4F32-8BCE-582D7B33FF8B.jpeg

07A31B2C-7265-40EE-99A6-DF52D4BBA15E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 6:38 PM, QuilterGirl said:

The letter in our cabins upon boarding:

"Due to forecasted adverse weather conditions and in order to provide you with the most comfortable cruise, we have made the decision to delay our departure from Seattle until 6:00 AM on Monday, September 27 and to alter our scheduled route north to Alaska in order to avoid the most severe of the weather.  As a result, we will no longer call at Skagway on Wednesday, September 29, and our call to Juneau will now take place on Wednesday, September 29 from 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM.  Please be advised that during this overnight stay in Seattle, limited port facilities will be available and we have been advised that guests are unable to proceed ashore once they have embarked the ship."

[letter continues on with remarks about how shore excursions will change as a result]

Thanks for sharing. 
hope you are enjoying your cruise