Diamond Plus or Oasis class Crystal Block?

gelli8112

We typically take one cruise a year and we've decided to take the next one in September 22.  At the conclusion of my most recent cruise on the Symphony, I have 139 C & A points.

Obviously I will get my first Crystal Block on my next cruise.   Since I first heard about the blocks,  I've wanted my first one to be on an Oasis class ship. Don't know why?  I just have. 

However, with the current promotion a 9 nighter in a JS gives me 36 points which is just enough to make D+  

For those of you that collect the blocks (Obviously  you're D+), do you choose which ships you obtain your blocks and would you risk a tier upgrade to obtain a block from a particular ship.

Just now, gelli8112 said:

We typically take one cruise a year and we've decided to take the next one in September 22.  At the conclusion of my most recent cruise on the Symphony, I have 139 C & A points.

Obviously I will get my first Crystal Block on my next cruise.   Since I first heard about the blocks,  I've wanted my first one to be on an Oasis class ship. Don't know why?  I just have. 

However, with the current promotion a 9 nighter in a JS gives me 36 points which is just enough to make D+  

For those of you that collect the blocks (Obviously  you're D+), do you choose which ships you obtain your blocks and would you risk a tier upgrade to obtain a block from a particular ship.

Tier upgrade risk?

You won't get the bonus point via RoyalUp 

Let me clarify.

It is my opinion based on nothing at all,  that Royal Caribbean is probably going to change the crown and anchor levels after giving away double points for two years and D+ will go from 175 to 250 or become something different all together. 

Maybe they'll add Emerald plus or tiny diamond. Who knows?

10 minutes ago, gelli8112 said:

Let me clarify.

It is my opinion based on nothing at all,  that Royal Caribbean is probably going to change the crown and anchor levels after giving away double points for two years and D+ will go from 175 to 250 or become something different all together. 

Maybe they'll add Emerald plus or tiny diamond. Who knows?

In my opinion, based on my own opinion 😄, not gonna happen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, gelli8112 said:

Forget the perks, book a cruise because it's what you want and it makes sense financially.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You'll only get double points if you book by September 30th, so decide quickly.

As for getting a block versus getting a CAS level, I'd personally choose the CAS level, because you can always trade for a block with someone, or purchase one on ebay.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, gelli8112 said:

We try to time cruises with blocks, but it never seems to work out. The best thing that happens is that if you have duplicates, you can sometimes arrange a trade for something that you don't have. And we just use the mail to do exchanges, rather than trying to time a cruise. :classic_smile:

A tier upgrade is just what it is. The blocks are just a nice memento. 

I was going to try to time my Block with the ship I got married on... But then Covid and double points happened and my plan went to the chaos of the world
So now I am going try to time my second block to Indy...
But I can always buy one or try and trade with someone too 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

You'll only get double points if you book by September 30th, so decide quickly.

As for getting a block versus getting a CAS level, I'd personally choose the CAS level, because you can always trade for a block with someone, or purchase one on ebay.  

Thanks. I'm leaning in that direction. 

We really didn't pay any attention but our three blocks are from Oasis, Allure and Anthem.  We've cruised 7 times on GR, 4 times on EX and twice on EN, yet we got blocks on ships we had only been on once. We've since gone on Anthem again and Oasis was a b2b.  Our next block will be when we're on Harmony this Nov/Dec for a b2b.  Eventually maybe we'll get one on Vision class lol.  We book based on when/where we want to go so I don't bother counting.   It appears our block after Harmony will be on our EN b2b next April, so finally a Vision class one.

Edited by BND

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

This might help... scroll through a couple pages and you'll see a picture.

Thanks so much!  I have close to 300 pts but have never even heard of these blocks.   I tend to think I'm fairly savvy about cruising but I always learn something new on CruiseCritic.  

• Like 1

If you really want to get down to nuts and bolts, the most significant difference between D and D+ these days is the extra drink voucher every day (believe me when I say that the pin is nothing to write home about).  You do get the occasional special bit of treatment from a random crew member that notices you are D+, but that's getting more and more diluted as more and more D+ members are spawned.  In any case, I don't think history predicts the future as to that intangible benefit.

So, there's your decision point.  Your first block from an Oasis class ship or some extra free drinks?

Personally, I would rather have that extra drink every day than a crystal block, even if that perk only comes one or two cruises early.

I also share your belief that C&A thresholds will change once they see how everything settles out.

I offer an alternative, seriously.

On my 9/19 Oasis cruise, I received my Oasis block. I really don't collect them. I keep my first one, a Grandeur block. If you want, I could list it on eBay for a nominal price plus shipping. As you know, it's heavy. I would list the shipping cost using the eBay calculator.

Just respond here if interested, then I will create the eBay post.

11 hours ago, ellenh said:

Thanks so much!  I have close to 300 pts but have never even heard of these blocks.   I tend to think I'm fairly savvy about cruising but I always learn something new on CruiseCritic.  

That's what I love about this place, other than the entertainment value of some of the silly arguments that get posted.... I've learned SO much here and I love being able to contribute to help others from time to time.

• Like 1