Why don't they fix the Panorama?!!!!

klfhngr

Why doesnt carnival fix the boarding arm at terminal 1 in Galveston once and for all. I heard a carnival employee say better yet, order a back up part as it's been breaking on and off for years.

We had to elevator down to deck 0 to debark.

I'm guessing they are pretty broke and counting pennies.

Edited by firefly333

Panorama cabin 5238 still has a faulty balcony slider door that creaks loudly 24/7 when ship is in motion and hasn’t been fixed since the 2019 inaugural. Stayed in this cabana 12/28/19 and on the 9/18/21 sailing I could hear it creaking from outside on the lanai but not from inside my adjacent cabana. 

LOUD Metal banging & scraping sounds all night long until about 8 AM coming from god only knows where. Above cabins port side aft. Was told by guest services it was maintenance crew and that maintenance dept said it was mandatory nightly work that they only could do at night (suspich sounding). Was given a separate cabin for sleeping purposes only and got my shore excursion credited and WiFi package credited. Apparently others staying in aft port side cabins could hear it as well all night long. Staying in the same cabin for 12/31/21 and guest services said they will do their best to resolve by then but honestly if maintenance crew refuses to adjust their schedule I can’t imagine it isn’t impacting all future sailings as well so not holding my breath. I am going to try to find the cause and record it on 12/31/21. I was wandering the halls all hours of the morning on this sailing trying to find it but I couldn’t. 

If Panorama's problem is a similar propulsion problem that the Vista had a couple of years ago the problem requires a drydock which would require cancelling several week long cruises. Also, I don't think they just keep spares lying around for the larger systems (azipods, bow thrusters, etc...). I believe those have to be specifically manufactured on an as needed basis and then shipped to wherever the drydock would take place.

• Like 1

At one time, they supposedly could fix it via scuba. Must be the same problems they had about 10 years ago with a few of their ships. You'd think they would've found the problem when they were sailing all over the place the last year and a half. IMHO, like someone said earlier, they probably don't have the fundage to fix it right now! Reversing the stops was/is the only option I guess besides dry docking. Was really looking forward to a long day in Cabo, even though we were there in July!

2 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Looks like they reversed our stops for our Oct 23 sailing!! They've had this problem for about a month now, why don't they just fix it already?! We're hosed for Cabo, ship leaves at 2 now! Total BS!

Did they tell you that they reversed your ports specifically because of the propulsion issue? Our ports were changed due to weather and a passing hurricane. 

15 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Did they tell you that they reversed your ports specifically because of the propulsion issue? 

Yes.

ITINERARY CHANGE 

CARNIVAL PANORAMA 10/02/2021, 10/09/2021, 10/16/2021, 

10/23/2021, 10/30/2021 

September 23, 2021 

Dear Carnival Panorama Guest, 

As you get ready for your cruise, we want to let you know that Carnival Panorama is experiencing an issue that is affecting the ship's maximum cruising speed. As a result, we have reversed the order of our port visits and modified the port times. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Did they tell you that they reversed your ports specifically because of the propulsion issue? Our ports were changed due to weather and a passing hurricane. 

On the same cruise and the email we received said " The Carnival Panorama is experiencing an issue that is affecting the ship's maximum cruising speed. As a result, we have reversed the order of our port visits and modified the port times"

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

They didn't tell us anything! Logged in and saw the reverse itinerary!

1 hour ago, bdever said:

Panorama cabin 5238 still has a faulty balcony slider door that creaks loudly 24/7 when ship is in motion and hasn’t been fixed since the 2019 inaugural. Stayed in this cabana 12/28/19 and on the 9/18/21 sailing I could hear it creaking from outside on the lanai but not from inside my adjacent cabana. 

LOUD Metal banging & scraping sounds all night long until about 8 AM coming from god only knows where. Above cabins port side aft. Was told by guest services it was maintenance crew and that maintenance dept said it was mandatory nightly work that they only could do at night (suspich sounding). Was given a separate cabin for sleeping purposes only and got my shore excursion credited and WiFi package credited. Apparently others staying in aft port side cabins could hear it as well all night long. Staying in the same cabin for 12/31/21 and guest services said they will do their best to resolve by then but honestly if maintenance crew refuses to adjust their schedule I can’t imagine it isn’t impacting all future sailings as well so not holding my breath. I am going to try to find the cause and record it on 12/31/21. I was wandering the halls all hours of the morning on this sailing trying to find it but I couldn’t. 

Why not pick a different cabin if you know it’s horrible?  We stayed starboard side a couple of weeks ago and no loud noises at night. We were on deck 7. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Why not pick a different cabin if you know it’s horrible?  We stayed starboard side a couple of weeks ago and no loud noises at night. We were on deck 7. 

No cabanas are left on the starboard side, sold out for the NYE sailing but yes I know the staterooms starboard side do not experience the metal banging sounds that the rooms on the port side do. 

Edited by bdever

2 minutes ago, bdever said:

I have my reasons but yes I know the staterooms starboard side do not experience the metal banging sounds that the rooms on the port side do. 

I do like a mystery. I'm guessing you are the editor in chief for a podcast called Noises in the Night. It will be picked up for series like the Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez mystery Only Murders in the Building.

Only.jpg

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, AHS123 said:

It will be picked up for series like the Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez mystery Only Murders in the Building.

That is a good mystery series and Tina Fey, Sting and Nathan Lane fill out a cast of stars. I'd go on a mystery Carnival charter cruise called Noises in the Night 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

That is a good mystery series and Tina Fey, Sting and Nathan Lane fill out a cast of stars. I'd go on a mystery Carnival charter cruise called Noises in the Night 🙂 

You don’t have to, just book an aft port side room decks 5 - 9 on Panorama for Noises in the Night 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I should put together a meet up called Noises in the Night where we all spread out on different decks with deck plans in hand, walkie talkies, with night vision goggles and our cell phones in night vision mode between the hours of 1AM (after late night Lido closes) to 4 AM. BYO gear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Just because they had a propulsion on a similar ship in the past, does not mean history repeats itself. While they are being very brief, and the explaination is crafted by a talented wordsmith to allow for any number of posibilities. 

It could be something as simple as the fuel available, an issue with the electrical switch gear on the ship, as electricty does propel the ship, or needed parts to effect a solution need to be manufactured. You cannot waltz into West Marine and find many cruise ship components on the shelf.

One thing I am quite sure is that Carnival LLC is not dealing with any financial restraint that prevents repairs of their capital assets. 

• Like 1

It might be a propulsion issue that requires a drydock.  

I remember years ago the Liberty experienced a motor failure (I think it was a winding) that limited its maximum speed.  Carnival handled it by re-spotting the ship to a Florida port and shortening its sailings to closer Bahamas or Caribbean destinations.  

According to CruiseCritic's user "chengkp," a chief engineer, that sort of drive failure requires a drydock and the repair requires cutting through the hull.  😮   

BTW, I'm assuming Liberty was eventually repaired and is back to full cruising speed, but I don't know for certain.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I was going to ask the same question!