Jim_Iain (with and Eye) - B2B Millennium 10/11 and 10/19 Pacific Coastal

Jim_Iain

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I often make a Cocktails Table Book from each cruise.     Family enjoy paging through them while visiting.     The do take a bit of work but keeps me busy and out of trouble. 

That's what I've started..esp family events and outings.   They are great gifts!

And reduce our stored clutter.  Working in that room by room!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

That's what I've started..esp family events and outings.   They are great gifts!

And reduce our stored clutter.  Working in that room by room!

4 years back after I retired,  I totally remodeled our home.    Knocked out a couple walls,  expanded the kitchen and installed 3/4 Maple flooring and stairs throughout.   

In order to do the work we had to empty every closet and kitchen cabinets.   Incredible how much we cleaned out.    It's amazing what you find.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

Jim, thank you for sharing your back to backs on the Millennium and the Equinox with all of us. We wish you fair winds and following seas on all your adventures.

Thanks much and thanks for everyone's participation.  

When we were in San Francisco I noticed they had potable water lines attached to the ship and they must have loaded a lot of water.   I usually find the tap water as good as bottled water but been tasting the chlorine quite a bit.   Even the ice has a chlorine taste.   

I shifted back to bottled water for taking my pills etc.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Looks like a good product.    I have a 2TB drive in my home network and keep copies I want by transferring from iTunes.  

I have a collection of USB drives at home ranging from 128GB to 8TB.  Most of them go unused since I installed my Synology NAS.(4x8TB with raid giving me 20TB effective) 

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It’s hard to explain.  It doesn’t have noise cancellation.  

my favorite is called drift.   It’s not music it is drifting sounds and it covers the sound in the room.   It also may be that they have 3 sized and the one I use is very good at blocking noise also. 

I bought mine on Amazon and figured I would return if they didn’t work.  

Sounds like it's worth a try for me too. Thanks so much for this information.  🤞

As far as snoring, I actually have grown to like hearing it.  My friend always complained about her husband’s snoring.  Then one day he was killed in a freak one car accident.  It was very sudden and horrific.  I would bet a lot that if she could have him back for even one night she would not complain about his snoring.  When I hear my husband snore I know he is with me still and I love that he is.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes the only messaging for free is on the Celebrity App.    You enter it by pressing the (...) icon top right corner.    If you receive a message there is no notification or even an alert on the app that yo received one.   When you press the icon the message will just be there.    

Come on Celebrity what would it take to add a ping or alert. 

If you have a Social or Xcelerate account you can use FB Messenger, Imessage or similar apps.   

who is sending the messages?  Celebrity? 

25 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

who is sending the messages?  Celebrity? 

Others with whom you are traveling on the ship.  Think of it as a 'stealth' Instant Messenger.

I doubt X would send anything except in an emergency, and given the lack of any kind of alert, that wouldn't be very useful anyway.  Has anyone heard of that ever being done?

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

Others with whom you are traveling on the ship.  Think of it as a 'stealth' Instant Messenger.

I doubt X would send anything except in an emergency, and given the lack of any kind of alert, that wouldn't be very useful anyway.  Has anyone heard of that ever being done?

thanks, certainly wouldn’t want emergency messages sent, those should be over the PA system.  However, about every 4-5th cruise I get a letter that my credit card is not working.  Normally it happened that a number had been keyed wrong, or a date had been entered wrong.  Once, on a B3B my card had actually been compromised.  That happened on the first leg on an Amex.  Granted scanning has improved and I’m about due for another letter but I’d rather get the letter!   

For what it is worth, the letter asking me to go to the naughty room normally arrives after I’ve identified the plier like nail clippers as not being a weapon,  or my curling iron being mis-identified as an extension cord!  (I have no objection to something’s being questioned, I just wish I didn’t have to drag the suitcase to the room when nothing was confiscated!   

As rooms are being remodeled such that power receptacles are on the both sides of the beds there is less need for power strips.  They are still however often needed in hotels.   Recently they have been missed in the luggage, but we know they need engineering’s approval which guest relation handles in less than 30-45 minutes.  I’m guessing it is missed because it has a European (Type C) plug on it. 

15 hours ago, hcat said:

Oh boy.... We send  them  to our old computer..but are going to be phasing that out.  As most foljs on CC know, we a lo tech..using Samsung phones, tablet and a new lap top that is way to smart for me,..Use is mostly for Zoom..have not even tried any photo programs on it,

,  we also have 3  bookcases of cruise albums..

We may  look through and enjoy one last look..but cannot keep everything forever!

Too many to scan.

I transfer from my phone into cloud storage at night. It works. 

Chris

14 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have a collection of USB drives at home ranging from 128GB to 8TB.  Most of them go unused since I installed my Synology NAS.(4x8TB with raid giving me 20TB effective) 

I'm a bit cautious with USB drives.     I have one that I was going to get something off prior to this cruise and I accidentally pulled it out without pushing reject button.   Now I can't access any of the data.  I didn't have time to use some of the utilities I have on it but will attempt to recover the data when I get home.  

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm a bit cautious with USB drives.     I have one that I was going to get something off prior to this cruise and I accidentally pulled it out without pushing reject button.   Now I can't access any of the data.  I didn't have time to use some of the utilities I have on it but will attempt to recover the data when I get home.  

That's one reason I'm reluctant to give up my current Samsung phone.  It can take up to a 1T micro SD card where I store about 100+ movies and a lot of photos.  Really convenient for mirroring movies onto the cabin TV without having to mess with another device.  The 2021 versions eliminated the SD card.  Not excited about having to decide on something else eventually.

I was asked today about travel insurance -   For coverage I use a combination -

Kaiser Medical Advantage that reimburses for medical attention when traveling

Geo-Blue Annual Medical 

MedJet  Annual for Evacuation 

Chase Sapphire Reserve for an array of travel related issues.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

thanks, certainly wouldn’t want emergency messages sent, those should be over the PA system.  However, about every 4-5th cruise I get a letter that my credit card is not working.  Normally it happened that a number had been keyed wrong, or a date had been entered wrong.  Once, on a B3B my card had actually been compromised.  That happened on the first leg on an Amex.  Granted scanning has improved and I’m about due for another letter but I’d rather get the letter!   

For what it is worth, the letter asking me to go to the naughty room normally arrives after I’ve identified the plier like nail clippers as not being a weapon,  or my curling iron being mis-identified as an extension cord!  (I have no objection to something’s being questioned, I just wish I didn’t have to drag the suitcase to the room when nothing was confiscated!   

As rooms are being remodeled such that power receptacles are on the both sides of the beds there is less need for power strips.  They are still however often needed in hotels.   Recently they have been missed in the luggage, but we know they need engineering’s approval which guest relation handles in less than 30-45 minutes.  I’m guessing it is missed because it has a European (Type C) plug on it. 

I usually ask for an extension cord.   Even with the extra plugs it comes in handy to move around the room with my laptop and not have to unplug. 

45 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

That's one reason I'm reluctant to give up my current Samsung phone.  It can take up to a 1T micro SD card where I store about 100+ movies and a lot of photos.  Really convenient for mirroring movies onto the cabin TV without having to mess with another device.  The 2021 versions eliminated the SD card.  Not excited about having to decide on something else eventually.

That is really nice to have.    I phones of course are really a closed system.    I have seen some products out there to offload but never gotten around to investigate. 

I will probably go in when I get home and delete lost of things like all the menus and dailies.   They are accessible here and I don't usually go back and look at them. 

14 hours ago, gbphipps said:

As far as snoring, I actually have grown to like hearing it.  My friend always complained about her husband’s snoring.  Then one day he was killed in a freak one car accident.  It was very sudden and horrific.  I would bet a lot that if she could have him back for even one night she would not complain about his snoring.  When I hear my husband snore I know he is with me still and I love that he is.

So sorry to hear of your loss.  I would agree with your friend.  We cherish the memories of those we loose.  

I’ll remember that next time I’m awaken by a loud snore.  

• Like 2