Jim_Iain (with and Eye) - B2B Millennium 10/11 and 10/19 Pacific Coastal

Jim_Iain

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I usually ask for an extension cord.   Even with the extra plugs it comes in handy to move around the room with my laptop and not have to unplug. 

We ask for an extension cord too, but there are 2 CPAPs and 2 battery chargers.   And, of course the regular electronic stuff!  An extension cord tap has 3 taps which does the job if there is another plug on the desk.  All four devices Will run on 220v, which leaves the 110 for either the other battery or electronic devices.  On the older ship I can only count on 2 plugs total.   For what it is worth, Equinox has/had a 110 wall plug on one side of the beds in an accessible oceanview room.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

22 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

We ask for an extension cord too, but there are 2 CPAPs and 2 battery chargers.   And, of course the regular electronic stuff!  An extension cord tap has 3 taps which does the job if there is another plug on the desk.  All four devices Will run on 220v, which leaves the 110 for either the other battery or electronic devices.  On the older ship I can only count on 2 plugs total.   For what it is worth, Equinox has/had a 110 wall plug on one side of the beds in an accessible oceanview room.  

I usually bring a 3 way splitter and also a 220 to 110 adapter.  Most devices today are dual voltage but make sure you check first.  

I also bring among a splitter wit 2 USB the one below is a 220 to 2 USB.   All available on Amazon. 

image.jpg

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really didn't feel the inconvenience was worth a FCC.   It was fixed in les than 10 minutes.  

I had a new balcony table on the Equinox that wobbled.  Obviously, the legs weren't even.  I just asked that it be taken care of.  Did not want or expect FCC.  Nevertheless, I received a generous amount.  Considering the price one has to pay for a suite these days, especially as a solo, I was happy to accept the FCC.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I usually bring a 3 way splitter and also a 220 to 110 adapter.  Most devices today are dual voltage but make sure you check first.  

I also bring among a splitter wit 2 USB the one below is a 220 to 2 USB.   All available on Amazon. 

image.jpg

Our power strip came from Amazon and all but the curling iron run on 220, so we only need adapters for the beginning and ending hotels.  The cord is short enough to be a splitter but I couldn’t find a splitter for 220, the power strip does run on both.  I hadn’t found a dual USB charger for 220.  I have a 3 USB for the car 12v, and duals that are only 110, and a hub charger for only 110.   I have a handful of single USB chargers for 110/220.   Not everything gets packed for each cruise, of course,  on occasion we’ve taken a converter/transformer. Normally everything packs down to fit in a 3-2-1 bag, except the 2 medical battery chargers.  

it’s good to hear that the Millennium has plugs now on both sides of the bed, at least in SS.  More and more remodels seem to have become more conscience of the need for power.  A choice of either plug near the bed is a big plus, not all remodels did that!  Perhaps they heeded the complains?  I know the mirrors got fixed on a few bathrooms that were set low enough for a wheelchair but not high enough for a companion.  

Thanks for the info, I’m always interested in new gadgets for sure.  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

Jim and Ian, thank you so much for helping us live through your cruise to maximize excitement for our Canal cruise starting tomorrow.  We are in San Diego tonight after an uneventful flight from Guadalajara.  We are so excited to board the Millennium tomorrow!  Jim, we hope our paths cross again on an cruise one of these days.  I will never forget being your neighbors when we were in a Celebrity suite on (I believe) the Millennium.  You guys looked so dapper on formal night in your kilts.  We also have a Sky suite on our cruise tomorrow and are looking forward to the suite life in the retreat.  Have a safe trip home and book another cruise soon so we can enjoy it along with both of you awesome guys.  Hugs!

@Jim_Iain

I know that somewhere in these 44 pages is a picture of your two PJ tickets and/or price in St Kitts where Jennifer took such good care of you.  I thought I recalled the price for about 4 hours with Rafael was about $375.  I'm being quoted over $1000 for 6 hours using Rafael and your itinerary plus another site in town.

I understand your concern.  I personally have not experienced any loss of data so far using external USB drives.

I normally have a USB attached to each of my computers for temporary storage.  When I am ready to move the data from the computer to my NAS, I copy files from my computer to the USB drive.  Eject the drive, connect it directly to the NAS and transfer the files to the NAS. 

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm a bit cautious with USB drives.     I have one that I was going to get something off prior to this cruise and I accidentally pulled it out without pushing reject button.   Now I can't access any of the data.  I didn't have time to use some of the utilities I have on it but will attempt to recover the data when I get home.  

23 minutes ago, canderson said:

@Jim_Iain

I know that somewhere in these 44 pages is a picture of your two PJ tickets and/or price in St Kitts where Jennifer took such good care of you.  I thought I recalled the price for about 4 hours with Rafael was about $375.  I'm being quoted over $1000 for 6 hours using Rafael and your itinerary plus another site in town.

I take that back.  Somewhere in those 92 (Equinox) pages!

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I understand your concern.  I personally have not experienced any loss of data so far using external USB drives.

I normally have a USB attached to each of my computers for temporary storage.  When I am ready to move the data from the computer to my NAS, I copy files from my computer to the USB drive.  Eject the drive, connect it directly to the NAS and transfer the files to the NAS. 

Why not copying files across the network straight to your NAS?

As for USB, used to get bit by that back in the day.  MS would buffer writes, and if you didn't do a logical disconnect before you did a physical disconnect, things could go badly.  Supposedly they stopped buffering writes somewhere between XP and Win10, but I still 'eject' first.  Force of habit.

My other bugaboo was Apple creating local trash cans on thumb drives and other portable storage instead of the system drive.  Forget to empty the trash once in a while and your storage space would dissappear quickly.  Hope they don't still do that.  

Neither companys' OS started out managing portable storage very intelligently.

29 minutes ago, canderson said:

As for USB, used to get bit by that back in the day.  MS would buffer writes, and if you didn't do a logical disconnect before you did a physical disconnect, things could go badly.  Supposedly they stopped buffering writes somewhere between XP and Win10, but I still 'eject' first.  Force of habit.

My other bugaboo was Apple creating local trash cans on thumb drives and other portable storage instead of the system drive.  Forget to empty the trash once in a while and your storage space would dissappear quickly.  Hope they don't still do that.  

I sometimes do but find that it is much faster to connect the USB drive directly to the NAS and move the files.

37 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I sometimes do but find that it is much faster to connect the USB drive directly to the NAS and move the files.

? USB 9.0? 😳

Ah, I see the words "temporary storage" now.

Edited by canderson

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I thought that trash still happens on thumb drives. It’s annoying for sure. 

I am certainly going to miss these ‘Live’ posts. 
Hopefully you will do the same for your Silhouette sailing, to whet my appetite for our July Mediterranean sailing on her.

Which sailing are you adding on to your TA?
We were very impressed with the refurbishment. 

BTW after reading your earlier Equinox posts, I have learnt how to put spaces between photos when posting. Thank you.

BBCBB41A-40C3-4782-80CC-9FB6522559FE.thumb.jpeg.43e4e70b9a3dc0e9f73a5cc27ff1a3ba.jpeg

9496ED5A-B05D-4F3B-B4EC-71D3BDEDD466.thumb.jpeg.b2f4236ebc6e23d6c2c616af5bf90a24.jpeg

4DE68096-C7D4-4479-BFAA-4FDD4FD46D20.thumb.jpeg.d3a26a999424bb92ae670f7af0431760.jpeg

The above images are from Deck 15.

Edited by upwarduk