Which ship/itinerary for Alaska 2022?

Looking for some advice on Alaska. Trying to decide which ship and itinerary for Alaska in June/July 2022. We are a family of 4; kids are 14 and 19. We have never been to Alaska and have only cruised to the Caribbean and Bahamas. Looks like the price is right for Alaska next summer, but not sure which itinerary would be best.

I am leaning towards Ovation or Quantum as I feel there would be more to do onboard for the kids and they are newer ships. However, both sail from Seattle and do not visit Hubbard Glacier. They visit Endicott/Dawes. I do understand the water is rougher out of Seattle, but I think we would be okay as we usually take Bonine when sailing anyway.

Other options are:

Radiance : visiting Hubbard Glacier

NB from Vancouver 

SB from Seward

Serenade: out of Vancouver

Route A: visiting Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm

Route B: visiting Tracy Arm and Endicott/Dawes Glaciers

I know many love Radiance, but we usually sail the bigger ships which we prefer as there seems to be more “stuff” to do onboard; especially with teens. I know the scenery of Alaska will be #1 for my husband and myself. Do I sacrifice ship for itinerary or itinerary for ship?  Or do you feel that there really is no sacrifice, as all itineraries showcase the best of Alaska, just in different ways?

Would love some insight from those who have sailed to Alaska. 

Thanks so much!

If you can swing pre or post tour, Radiance is the way to go and see the most of Alaska. If you are going for the ship, cruise out of Florida to the Caribbean.

With 14 Disney cruises, you have done enough cruises for the kids, it's time the kids do something  for their parents.

None of you will be disppointed with the smaller ship.................less people is a good thing

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

We decided on Ovation and the Alaska Experience route. We’ve never been to Alaska either and we’re a family of four. My kids are 13. 

We’ve sailed on Radiance and Serenade before. Both are beautiful ships and honestly I love all the glass. The smaller ships are great and probably have the best intimate service of the fleet. I would not hesitate to book either. 

The experience you have will differ between a small ship and mega ship. Both have pros and cons. I would lean towards what’s most important for your family- the destination or activities available. Personally I would price out flights too, but that’s just me! 

We chose Ovation for the many activities available (we’re a very active family) and the new ship design for us. We would have chosen either Ovation or Odyssey but the Ovation had the best date for our schedule and lower price for a J3. Hubby and I will likely cruise Alaska again in the future when the kids are in college, so we’re okay with not seeing everything this trip.  

• Thanks 1

I would do a one way itinerary as you will see more of Alaska that way and you could add some time on land to the interior of Alaska.  Our friend's 10 year old was not bored on the Serenade in the Mediterranean, particularly with a very limited number of sea days.  The solarium pool may be open to the kids given the potential for weather on this itinerary and the minigolf is fun on this ship too.  Having been on Anthem with 3 sea days, I don't think you would have enough time to fully enjoy the features of a Quantum class ship without missing out on a lot of why people go to Alaska

Thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately, we are not able to add on a cruise tour, but we will be flying in a few days early to either explore Seattle or Vancouver….based on the itinerary.

I’ve checked flights, and the cost at this time is about the same to either departure point, so I have left that out of the equation.

I guess my main concern is will we miss not seeing Hubbard Glacier or is Endicott/Dawes just as amazing, but in its own way.  

I do like the idea of a one way itinerary, staying a few days on each end of the cruise. 

Thanks again!

I have done both smaller and larger ships.  Also have been to both glaciers a couple of times each.  So my question is this, how much does the glacier mean to your decision ?  Hubbard glacier is breath taking. The other is a beautiful glacier but not the same.  I must say the pass that you go through to get to Endicott  Arms is wonderful.  I saw more whales at the mouth  of the pass both last year and this year than anywhere else.

Now as far as the ship with a 14 and 19 year old I'd do the bigger ship so much more to do. As a matter of fact I just booked the Ovation for the June 3rd 2022 sailing and I'm taking my 16 year old granddaughter, it will be her first cruise.

As for departure city ,  I found it a little bit more expensive for hotel and transportation in Vancouver.  I really like Seattle departures and especially love arrival there with the FREE valet service. It's easy peesy,  put luggage out night before departure and luggage is waiting for you in baggage claim at your home airport. Hope this help you a bit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CariBear said:

Unfortunately, we are not able to add on a cruise tour, but we will be flying in a few days early to either explore Seattle or Vancouver….based on the itinerary.

Vancouver is a much better city to spend a few days in imho.  I'm originally from there and think it is absolutely spectacular.  I've spent a lot of time in Seattle as well, I'd take Vancouver over Seattle any day. 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CariBear said:

Thanks for your replies!

I’ve checked flights, and the cost at this time is about the same to either departure point, so I have left that out of the equation.

I guess my main concern is will we miss not seeing Hubbard Glacier or is Endicott/Dawes just as amazing, but in its own way.  

I do like the idea of a one way itinerary, staying a few days on each end of the cruise. 

Thanks again!

We have done Radiance in Alaska with a cruisetour and it was magnificent.  We would do it again in a heartbeat if we had the 15 days that we did last time.  We don't, so we are doing Quantum out of Seattle.  Quantum or Ovation are a much better choice with teens.  Serenade and Radiance are nice but very sedate cruises.  We prefer the larger ships and all they have to offer.  As far as Hubbard vs Endicott/Dawes, you are going to be awed by either, so do what works best for your family and see the other the next time.

Seattle is a great city to visit for a few days, as is Vancouver.  Seattle will be shorter flights than Vancouver.  Price it all out and see what works best within your budget.

Hubby and I flew all of the way to Fairbanks (north Alaska), had a 3-day land tour including Denali animal preserve and Anchorage, boarded the Radiance in Seward, cruised south for 7 nights (included Hubbard glacier) to Vancouver, met our son in Vancouver for a couple of days, then we all took the train down to Seattle for an additional couple of days before our flight home. Had a great time overall! If you have any extra time, take it!! We hope to do it all over again someday!! Cheers!!

I’ve done Radiance several times in the past and if hands down has the better itinerary. However, I’m currently on Ovation for 3 weeks and this ship is amazing, especially the solarium. I’d still lean towards Radiance, but I don’t think there’s a wrong choice. Ovation does not disappoint.   Just depends on your priorities. 

• Like 2

The thing about Alaska is there is no one way to do it right.  I'm on my way back to Seattle on another line as I write this.  Just did Glacier Bay a few days ago.  

This is my fifth Alaska cruise.  I've done one way twice, I've done Seattle round trips and Vancouver departures.  Every cruise to Alaska has been worth the price of admission and I'm glad I did every one of them.  Every trip to Alaska is different.  If you did a back to back on the same ship and same itinerary it would be a different experience because that is Alaska.  

When I did my first Alaska cruise I spent too much time trying to make it the best cruise I could on the basis it was a once in a lifetime cruise never to be repeated.  That was a mistake.  Plan on coming back because every visit is different.  

One approach is to do the safe trip with the kids.  Quantum class will cover all bases, makes for easy flights and is the safest approach to get your feet wet in Alaska.  The itineraries differ between Ovation and Quantum so look at the ports and the time spent in each port.  Not all itineraries are created equal.  

If you fall in love with Alaska like I did you can do a smaller ship with just the two of you at some point in the future, or another line.  

Glacier Bay is cool and worthy of some of the hype but if you get a get a rainy day the entire reason for that other line has been wasted.  Don't pick an itinerary that puts too many eggs in one basket because weather is real in Alaska and ports do get skipped.  

Hubbard Glacier is still my favorite of them all and any itinerary that spends a few hours there is better than Glacier Bay where you can whiz by many glaciers in a few hours but you only get a fleeting glance as you sail past some of them.  

Ovation and Quantum both have a larger portion of the ship as balcony cabins which often makes a balcony reasonable on them compared to the normal premium that Alaska can place on a balcony when a particular ship doesn't have many balconies.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We did Radiance to Hubbard Glacier in 2004 out of Vancouver and it was a great cruise, very memorable and great weather in late July.  We were able to get very close to the glacier and rotate for best viewing.  But it was also our very first cruise (for my parents' 50th anniversary with the whole extended family) and that made it special all by itself.  

We just finished the Ovation OTS cruise from Seattle (mid-Sept 2021) and it was great as well.  Weather much cooler and wet but manageable.  Endicott Arms and Dawes Glacier was fine but we couldn't get as close due to sea ice.  But the ship overall is so much more!  I enjoy the Radiance class ships and have done several cruises on them, but the Ovation is something else.  Lots of venues to enjoy.  Two70 and Music Hall are great night spots.  Your kids will enjoy the SeaPlex, iFly and Flowrider that Radiance doesn't have.  Then there is the NorthStar too.  Service on Ovation was great as well.

Hard choices - The Ovation nudges out the Radiance in my estimation but you will have a great time with either ship and itinerary to Alaska.  Hope this is helpful in your decision making.

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all who have posted! I have also looked at NCL, Princess, and Celebrity as well. Princess has (what I consider)the best itinerary with both Glacier Bay and Hubbard, but we have sailed Princess a long time ago and it wasn’t really for us. NCL has the Encore, with a good itinerary….but I still keep coming back to RCCL.

Thanks for all of your insight bmblob and twangster. Much appreciated!!

• Like 1

I had the same concerns as you when I was planning our Alaskan cruise. I ultimately chose the Quantum of the Seas for May 2022. We'll have our 4 boys with us, ages 17-26, and that ship seemed to have something for everyone to enjoy. I especially liked that they have a covered pool area so we can enjoy swimming even when it's cold or raining outside. The solarium is also totally enclosed as well, so, again, more usable space to enjoy even in the Alaskan weather. Since we've never been to Alaska, I figured we'll be in awe no matter which port we sail to. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CariBear said:

Thank you to all who have posted! I have also looked at NCL, Princess, and Celebrity as well. Princess has (what I consider)the best itinerary with both Glacier Bay and Hubbard, but we have sailed Princess a long time ago and it wasn’t really for us. NCL has the Encore, with a good itinerary….but I still keep coming back to RCCL.

Thanks for all of your insight bmblob and twangster. Much appreciated!!

Probably Princess long time ago and now is much different, Princess has always been the best for Alaska though, so consider that too.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Apologies if folks aren't happy with me bringing this thread back to life, but I'm having a very similar struggle to op here. 

My wife and our good friends last did Serenade out of Vancouver in 2007 to Hubbard and had a BLAST. We all have kids now that have been on Caribbean cruises and we want to take them to Alaska (they all will range in the 8 to 14 age when we want to go in 2023). I started out wanting to just replicate our last cruise because we love Vancouver and Hubbard, but the one way seems like a pain and there is a concern about pool times (I guess they have pretty good kid hours in the solarium and there is still a decent kids club?) and other activities. Looking at the Seattle cruises, they seem great. Seattle is very nice, the ships are great, itinerary is good, but it seems they don't get very close to the glaciers because of size (some of the videos and photos it seem you can barely see the glacier). 

I'm now torn between a one way Vancouver on the smaller ship with Hubbard and the round trip Seattle on the bigger ship with less glacier views.

Anyway, any updated thoughts from anyone on this? Appreciate it.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, 1025cruise said:

IMHO, expand your search beyond Royal Caribbean.

I agree completely. Despite this being a RCL forum, a bit of research reveals that Holland America has often been rated as 'top pick' for Alaska. We went many years ago with HAL and loved it. Lots of different itineraries. I highly suggest including the Yukon. We did the 7-day cruise (sailing north out of Vancouver) and then a 12-day land tour after. I'm sure RCL offers fine Alaska tours, but just wanted to put a pitch in for  HAL also. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 10/2/2021 at 3:06 PM, CariBear said:

Do I sacrifice ship for itinerary or itinerary for ship?

I would say never sacrifice itinerary. This raises a definite distinction between those who cruise for the sake of cruising, i.e. less destination oriented and more ship / cruise experience oriented, and those who are more into serious traveling. Surely there are gradations in between both. I only mention this since I know people who cruise solely for the sake of cruising and really care little as to where the ship goes. A friend of ours who has been to Alaska many times (son lives there) often suggested a smaller ship experience to us. Alaska is so big - one trip probably isn't even sufficient.  Definitely plan on including some sort of land tour. Inside passage and floating around past a few glaciers is fine, but the real Alaska is to be found in the interior. I strongly recommend a floatplane experience, as well as sled dogs. Helicopter / glacier landing is worth it also. We gave up our day in Anchorage to fly up to Barrow (now renamed to something else). It was one of the most amazing experiences out of all our travels. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, fabric_fabric said:

We are doing Alaska for the third time in May all on Celebrity smaller ships. They can move a bit closer to glaciers. My grandkids have enjoyed them immensely so dont worry about things for the kids to do!

Which itinerary are you picking?  We were planning on an Alaska Cruise next summer 2023.  I had a Caribbean cruise on Symphony booked in September 2022 but just found out my daughter is pregnant and due in mid September so I want to move this cruise to June/July.  We enjoy cruising anywhere but I want to start hitting our bucket list destinations.   It will be our 1st cruise to Alaska with no kids.  I'm also trying to decide if we should pick a land tour with Royal or plan our own land tours.  What do you do?  

Also, we're from Michigan too!

If you are really going for Alaska experience....then Radiance. If you are going for the combo of entertaining the kids....the ship and Alaska then Ovation or Quantum. I will say....for a family of 4 flying in and out of Seattle is a lot easier and less expensive than flying into Vancouver and out of Anchorage which is more $$$$ and longer flights....Anchorage to Tampa is no short flight.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1