Covid on Iona

Cathygh

Celebrity have now responded and directed me to this:

Sickness Onboard

If you test positive for COVID-19 when you are onboard, we will provide a full refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party, we will provide your medical treatment onboard and we will arrange safe quarantine for you and your travelling party as required. We will also make arrangements for your return home (repatriation) and for the return home of your travelling party.

We will bear the reasonable costs of these arrangements. We strongly encourage you to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm insured with Insure and Go, this is what they say on the policy documents -

"Your policy includes some additional Coronavirus cover that isn’t yet shown in your policy wording document. If you become unwell with COVID-19, SARS-COV-2, or any mutation or variation of these while you’re away, we’ll cover your medical expenses in line with the policy terms and conditions. We will also cover additional accommodation costs incurred as a result of you being ill with the virus, up to a limit of £2,000.

Additionally, we’ll consider claims for cancelling or cutting short your trip if you, or a member of your family or travelling party, are medically diagnosed with one of these conditions or are personally instructed to quarantine by an NHS service or medical professional."

I don't know whether the port authorities insisting you are offloaded to quarantine would class as being instructed to do so by a medical professional . . .
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone… 

just a thought… having looked through some different Cruise Critic cruise sections and not yet spotted any other postings on this important issue….perhaps the sooner these new concerns re cruisers being disembarked ( whether positive or not ), and the associated travel insurance cover for non-positive issues is drawn to a wider public attention the better….

If it is discussed in the main papers or broadcast on TV, say travel shows etc both cruise companies and travel insurance groups will ‘ have ‘ to address the issues, and fast, or lose a great deal of money and goodwill. 

Also this would help inform more travellers so they can make an informed decision re future bookings etc…

take care everyone in these troubled times

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Celebrity have now responded and directed me to this:

Sickness Onboard

If you test positive for COVID-19 when you are onboard, we will provide a full refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party, we will provide your medical treatment onboard and we will arrange safe quarantine for you and your travelling party as required. We will also make arrangements for your return home (repatriation) and for the return home of your travelling party.

We will bear the reasonable costs of these arrangements. We strongly encourage you to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions.

Well, if P&O and Cunard would be prepared to come out and say that they will match this, I am sure many of their customers would be content with that.

However, if they refuse, surely they can see that this is about to blow up in their face if they continue to bluster, and they will suffer bad publicity and loss of bookings.

Usually when new situations arise, it only takes a couple of significant players in the market  to move to a new position that is more favourably in the customers' interests for the rest of the competition having to fall in line or lose business.

Let market forces dictate that Cunard and P&O fall into line on this!

Would Megabear2 care to put this to her Cunard/P&O contact for us please?

Edited by bbtablet
  • Like 1

I am collating information from various sources in preparation for the reply from P&O/Cunard. I have already forwarded the Azamara information provided from the third party and now I've heard from Celebrity will put it together on one document. I happen to have a Celebrity booking in my itineraries so they were eager to help. 

As my contacts are being helpful I will give them the courtesy of replying before sending anything else. 

• Like 2

Sorry, forgot to add, P&O/Cunard are far from alone!

This is NCL:

(6) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. The Guest understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if the Guest has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, the Guest tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, we may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine a Guest as well as members of the Guest’s travelling party, or take other steps which we determine, in our sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a pro-rated refund if required by law, or an optional pro-rated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to our refund and cancellation policy at www.ncl.com. Each such Guest is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall we be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger.

• Thanks 2

Many thanks Megabear2 for your continued efforts on our behalf - it is much appreciated.

It sounds like there is an almighty battle going on behind the scenes at the various cruise lines on this issue.

It would be great fun to watch if only we didn't have a concerning financial interest!

Edited by bbtablet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HopingForFun333 said:

Hi everyone… 

just a thought… having looked through some different Cruise Critic cruise sections and not yet spotted any other postings on this important issue….perhaps the sooner these new concerns re cruisers being disembarked ( whether positive or not ), and the associated travel insurance cover for non-positive issues is drawn to a wider public attention the better….

If it is discussed in the main papers or broadcast on TV, say travel shows etc both cruise companies and travel insurance groups will ‘ have ‘ to address the issues, and fast, or lose a great deal of money and goodwill. 

Also this would help inform more travellers so they can make an informed decision re future bookings etc…

take care everyone in these troubled times

What it needs is Simon Calder to get on the case

And so it continues. Latest reply and my response.

Thank you for your further correspondence.  I have put this to Holiday Extra's and as soon as I have a comprehensive reply from Holiday Extra;s I will get back straight to you.

Warmest regards

Unquote

My reply (sorry they're getting rather long - ignore the quoted bits which are as already posted here!)

Thank you once more for your help which is much appreciated. 

I look forward to the reply from Holiday Extras. I have in fact previously had a long conversation with them when they informed me they had a large number of cruise passengers asking exactly the same question and were therefore making a list of those concerned. I understand they were going to speak to Taurus (the actual insurer) and Great Lakes (the underwriter).

Just for clarification the quote I have been sent in my last email regarding a rival cruise company's policies in these situations, is actually from the Azamara Cruise Line's terms and conditions not the contact's insurers. 

I have since checked my contract with another cruise line, Celebrity and found wording in identical terms.

"Sickness Onboard

We will bear the reasonable costs of these arrangements. We strongly encourage you to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions."

My P&O contract appears to offer the following as its equivalent:

"P&O terms and conditions, para 23:

In addition, any Guest who, in the opinion of P&O Cruises and/or the Master and/or a member of ship’s medical staff, demonstrates the symptoms of a viral illness (including but not limited to Coronavirus (COVID-19)) may be disembarked by P&O Cruises without any further liability."

I am sure you will agree these are very far removed from each other as the first offers total comfort and reassurance whereas the second absolves P&O of any liability and places the onus on me as a passenger entirely.

Whilst I appreciate that the insurance question is vital to this position and a confirmation of the cover helpful, I would like to ask that the difference in the two policies in the terms and conditions forming the contract between the cruise passenger and the Carnival companies be drawn to the senior management for comment. 

I do of course appreciate commercial decisions vary from company to company, but as a customer myself,  believe that any prospective passenger comparing these two policies would most definitely 

opt for the first option due to it's clear and concise message.

I look forward to hearing from you with an update from all parties.

Unquote 

Let's see if this bring anything. I'll probably be joining the Ryanair people banned from travel at this rate!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

And so it continues. Latest reply and my response.

Thank you for your further correspondence.  I have put this to Holiday Extra's and as soon as I have a comprehensive reply from Holiday Extra;s I will get back straight to you.

Warmest regards

Unquote

My reply (sorry they're getting rather long - ignore the quoted bits which are as already posted here!)

Thank you once more for your help which is much appreciated. 

I look forward to the reply from Holiday Extras. I have in fact previously had a long conversation with them when they informed me they had a large number of cruise passengers asking exactly the same question and were therefore making a list of those concerned. I understand they were going to speak to Taurus (the actual insurer) and Great Lakes (the underwriter).

Just for clarification the quote I have been sent in my last email regarding a rival cruise company's policies in these situations, is actually from the Azamara Cruise Line's terms and conditions not the contact's insurers. 

I have since checked my contract with another cruise line, Celebrity and found wording in identical terms.

"Sickness Onboard

We will bear the reasonable costs of these arrangements. We strongly encourage you to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions."

My P&O contract appears to offer the following as its equivalent:

"P&O terms and conditions, para 23:

In addition, any Guest who, in the opinion of P&O Cruises and/or the Master and/or a member of ship’s medical staff, demonstrates the symptoms of a viral illness (including but not limited to Coronavirus (COVID-19)) may be disembarked by P&O Cruises without any further liability."

I am sure you will agree these are very far removed from each other as the first offers total comfort and reassurance whereas the second absolves P&O of any liability and places the onus on me as a passenger entirely.

Whilst I appreciate that the insurance question is vital to this position and a confirmation of the cover helpful, I would like to ask that the difference in the two policies in the terms and conditions forming the contract between the cruise passenger and the Carnival companies be drawn to the senior management for comment. 

I do of course appreciate commercial decisions vary from company to company, but as a customer myself,  believe that any prospective passenger comparing these two policies would most definitely 

opt for the first option due to it's clear and concise message.

I look forward to hearing from you with an update from all parties.

Unquote 

Let's see if this bring anything. I'll probably be joining the Ryanair people banned from travel at this rate!

Genuine question Mega, because I have no clue as to the answer.

How do cabin prices compare between PO and Celebrity on like for like cruises?

Might we be comparing apples with oranges is my point?

Please keep the pressure on PO up though, I'm sure all who have booked or are considering booking and are aware of your quest are cheering you on 😃

• Like 1

To be truthful it is hard to compare as Celebrity are all inclusive on most voyages with drinks, wifi, gratuities in their lead price. I have a transatlantic booked for next year Silhouette from Southampton mid deck 8 balcony cabin £1728pp all inclusive. It is possible to upgrade the drinks if you want premium brands.

I have no direct comparison but my moved P&O Britannia Caribbean fly cruise departing 30 December 2022 is £3,200pp in a top grade deluxe balcony cabin. 

As an aside, I've tracked down Royal Caribbean's terms and conditions on Covid from my BIL who has a cruise with them next year:

Sickness Onboard:  If you test positive for COVID-19when you are onboard,we will provide a full refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party, we will provide your medical treatment onboard and we will arrange safe quarantine for you and your travelling party as required. We will also make arrangements for your return home (repatriation) and for the return home of your travelling party. We will bear the reasonable costs of these arrangements. We strongly encourage you to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions.

Unquote 

There's a distinct pattern developing now.

• Thanks 3

The difference between cruise lines even within the same Brand is staggering really. Shame on the ones who are not giving customers some comfort and reassurance - I’m booked with Cunard and no pun intended, in the same boat as many, having paid in full just before they changed it. So not happy on a number of scores. 

If things continue they will lose customer good will and loyalty and might well regret it !

Efforts from Megabear2 very much appreciated.  Thank you 🙏 

Edited by watsonbeau

6 hours ago, Son of Bare said:

How do cabin prices compare between PO and Celebrity on like for like cruises?

Might we be comparing apples with oranges is my point?

Celebrity is considerably more expensive than P&O,  but that is not the point.  It is the responsibility of the cruise to look after its customers,  regardless of the price paid. 

• Like 3

I am working on producing the promised table to compare cruise lines policies on this. I am having difficulty getting clauses for Marella, Costa, Fred Olsen, Disney and Saga as I do not have access to anyone with bookings with them.  I'm trying to cover a spectrum from cheaper to very high end just to get an overall view of the industry.

I have noticed that a great number of the companies are teamed with Holiday Extras for insurance and so their reply to both me and P&O/Cunard will be highly relevant for many.

If anyone has time to check the terms and conditions for the companies I have been unable to get information from I would be pleased to receive them through posts here.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Celebrity is considerably more expensive than P&O,  but that is not the point.  It is the responsibility of the cruise to look after its customers,  regardless of the price paid. 

When you purchase a car your warranty and recovery service will vary from brand to brand yet I'm sure all manufacturers will say that they look after their customers.

You buy into a brand, whether that be a cruise brand or a car brand for a number of reasons amongst them the customer service package.

The difference between PO and some of the other cruise lines in respect of this seems stark and Mega is clearly on a mission and I wish her the best but do wonder if her hard work will amount to anything?

It will at least confirm if P &O/Cunard intend to carry me on their cruises with proper cover for all eventualities or if they want me to budget several thousand pounds more for just in case.

I am a Diamond member with Cunard and spend many thousands of pounds with them every year, P&O Caribbean level.  I'm happy to switch these monies to anyone prepared to offer me peace of mind and comfort. I will not hesitate, brand loyalty is easily swept away when my wellbeing and peace of mind is at stake.

I'm a very stubborn adversary!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

It will at least confirm if P &O/Cunard intend to carry me on their cruises with proper cover for all eventualities or if they want me to budget several thousand pounds more for just in case.

I am a Diamond member with Cunard and spend many thousands of pounds with them every year, P&O Caribbean level.  I'm happy to switch these monies to anyone prepared to offer me peace of mind and comfort. I will not hesitate, brand loyalty is easily swept away when my wellbeing and peace of mind is at stake.

Fair play to you for digging in where many would have fallen by the wayside.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I suspect market forces might bear down (there I go again) on PO at some point and they follow how the other more sympathetic lines are approaching covid.

Hopefully before you Carribean cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

But by offloading someone who tests positive for COVID aren't the cruise line doing exactly that - ensuring the health of passengers and crew?

And isn't this the point at which travel insurance kicks in for the unfortunate individual?

I'm not saying this won't be stressful for those affected, and I can certainly see the attraction of the "one stop shop" assistance  offered by some cruise lines - but you have to pay for the privilege…

As I said earlier, you pays your money and takes your choice. And P&O's position is crystal clear in their t&cs.

I would dearly love a cruise this winter for some sun and a much needed break. But the way things stand I am simply not prepared to run the risk (however slight) of being offloaded in a strange city with a positive COVID test.

Desperate to book Canary Cruise 31 October but there are insurance issues that no one seems to want to cover:

I accept the possibility of being off loaded if i get covid to protect the other pax and staff, and all my cost will mostly be met by my insurer:

However if my wife was negative but of loaded due to risk, or wanted to be with me at the same port but in a different location isolating or not, then Holiday Extra or my normal insurer LV would not cover any incurred including flights home as she would not have tested positive by a medical practitioner.

This was confirmed at a higher level by each insurer, however both said they would look at each individual case ' um that's a no then' 

My wife would be covered just about for every other situation if i had to stay in port including non Covid medical. I am happy to pay for risk as that is what insurance is all about but here is no cover out there for this. In reality the cost would be small in insurance costs and feel P & O should pick up the cost my wife incurs as she would be off loaded to protect the rest of the ship (remember she is negative).

6 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

The difference between cruise lines even within the same Brand is staggering really. Shame on the ones who are not giving customers some comfort and reassurance - I’m booked with Cunard and no pun intended, in the same boat as many, having paid in full just before they changed it. So not happy on a number of scores. 

If things continue they will lose customer good will and loyalty and might well regret it !

Efforts from Megabear2 very much appreciated.  Thank you 🙏 

There doesn't seem to be any variation between the Royal Caribbean brands, although I realise that Azamara is no longer part of the group.

Similarly  Princess, P&O and Cunard all seem to be the same, but no idea if HAL, AIDA and Costa are also in the meany class.

2 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

But by offloading someone who tests positive for COVID aren't the cruise line doing exactly that - ensuring the health of passengers and crew?

Yes, but you seem to have totally missed the point.

Cruise lines are also offloading the travelling companions of the positive cases, even if they are testing negative, and no insurance company seems to cover that eventuality. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

And isn't this the point at which travel insurance kicks in for the unfortunate individual?

But the whole point is it doesn't cover a negative test passenger removed from the ship.  There is from what I can find,  no insurance available to purchase in the UK market to cover any form of quarantine. Short of subsequently testing positive the companions would be faced with the bill for quarantine, food, testing, travelcosts and (I've only just found this one) possible costs/fines incurred by the cruise line!

In August this year my friend, double vaccinated, developed Covid and was quite unwell.  His wife isolating alongside in a small terraced house stayed perfectly fit and healthy ...  as I said previously Russian roulette.

• Like 3