Princess medallion - how do the cabin lights get/stay turned on now without a room card to put in the switch?

TheBigIsland BC

33 minutes ago, OccasionalSanta said:

Offhand, I don't remember any Princess ships needing a card to keep the lights on. Possible that there were some, but definitely not needed on medallion ships

The Royal (and I assume subsequent builds, but not sure) had this.

I just used an imitation credit card in the slot anyway, never my cruise card.

On one cruise the cabin steward had an old cruise card in the slot so I did not have to use anything of mine.

The Majestic in July had a generic card that was in the slot already for us. We made a point to partially pull it out when we left the room to help conserve energy, but otherwise the lights could be always on.

I am unaware if the Medallion scanning was also affecting the individual room's power.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

The Medallion keeps the lights on. 

I *suspect* that maybe this was intended as a joke...but if not, not true.  There is NO connection between the medallion and the cabin lights.  Most ships I've been on (as do European hotels) have the "card slot" that others have mentioned.  On our past 2 cruises this year (one NCL, one Princess) a "dummy" card was already in place when we checked in.  That's what everybody did anyway...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the door unlocked and the lights came on via the Medallion? 

If they can get the door to unlock you would think that entry lights should come on as well.

?

Would this be like "clap on clap off" ?

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, caribill said:

The Royal (and I assume subsequent builds, but not sure) had this.

I just used an imitation credit card in the slot anyway, never my cruise card.

On one cruise the cabin steward had an old cruise card in the slot so I did not have to use anything of mine.

We sailed on all of the Royal class ships when they first sailed and at that time there was no generic card. A basis business card always did the trick though.......

20 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

The Majestic in July had a generic card that was in the slot already for us. We made a point to partially pull it out when we left the room to help conserve energy, but otherwise the lights could be always on.

On my sailings on Regal, I would use an old hotel key card.  On my most recent medallion cruise, Princess supplied a card in the slot.  There was no need to pull the card out, when the steward came in to make up the cabin, he would pull the card out.  That annoyed me, I didn't care about the lights as I always turned them off anyway but it also turned off the air conditioning and I would walk into a hot cabin later in the day.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Daniel A said:

On my sailings on Regal, I would use an old hotel key card.  On my most recent medallion cruise, Princess supplied a card in the slot.  There was no need to pull the card out, when the steward came in to make up the cabin, he would pull the card out.  That annoyed me, I didn'

t care about the lights as I always turned them off anyway but it also turned off the air conditHoweverioning and I would walk into a hot cabin later in the day.

It did not turn off the AC on the Princess ships I have been on with that card/slot.

However, I was once in a hotel in China. When the card was out, it also turned off the fridge which made the fridge useless.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:55 PM, greenie082756 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the door unlocked and the lights came on via the Medallion? 

If they can get the door to unlock you would think that entry lights should come on as well.

Would not like this. In the past we frequently do not arrive in the cabin at the same time. Late evening one of us may retire, the other staying out for some time. In this case we leave the bathroom light on, but the remainder of the room dark. Would not be good for us if the entire room brightened when the last person entered. Also envision this as an issue with parents and teen youth staying in the same cabin.

Unless you are in an interior cabin, no need to turn on all cabin lights during daylight hours.

3 hours ago, generichandle said:

Why does the Medallion not KEEP the door unlocked. Can you lock it at night, with the Medallion in the room?

This is an interesting point. 

Is the door unlocked if you are near it inside the cabin? 

Also, if it does "know" that you are inside, why can't the Medallion replace the card by the door to keep the lights on? 

Edited by 2 cruises a year

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Would not like this. In the past we frequently do not arrive in the cabin at the same time. Late evening one of us may retire, the other staying out for some time. In this case we leave the bathroom light on, but the remainder of the room dark. Would not be good for us if the entire room brightened when the last person entered. Also envision this as an issue with parents and teen youth staying in the same cabin.

Unless you are in an interior cabin, no need to turn on all cabin lights during daylight hours.

I see your point however I was talking about lights near the doorway coming on. Mostly at night when its dark. Perhaps there could be an option to have that automatic or not depending on your preference.

I know that when we come in to the cabin at night we turn the lights on before heading in. Gotta be careful at our age 🙂

4 hours ago, generichandle said:

Why does the Medallion not KEEP the door unlocked. Can you lock it at night, with the Medallion in the room?

29 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

This is an interesting point. 

Is the door unlocked if you are near it inside the cabin? 

Also, if it does "know" that you are inside, why can't the Medallion replace the card by the door to keep the lights on? 

The Medallion "releases" the lock so the door can be opened (door does not automatically open).  After a few seconds, the lock mechanism re-engages.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The Medallion "releases" the lock so the door can be opened (door does not automatically open).  After a few seconds, the lock mechanism re-engages.

@Steelers36

I did say "unlocked" not "open".

So, if I'm inside the cabin, with my Medallion, near the door, will the door UNLOCK?  "Released", so that someone outside can open the door?