LIVE from the MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ROTTERDAM VII - TRANSATLANTIC

sansterre

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

But you were never getting a whole lobster on the cruise ship, unless you visited Maine (and I'm not sure that HAL does that I know that Royal and Celebrity did). I'm not suggesting paying for the filet and lobster tail.

And presumably the lobster is served cut in half,  since it is listed on the menu as broiled. So somewhat easier to eat than a whole lobster served in one piece. Of course, there are always the claws, knuckles, etc, unless they are pre-cracked.

on this cruise at the SDM you got a whole lobster brought table-sides alive then delivered as requested.   Was a huge portion.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, electricguy said:

We just booked a 13 day cruise on the Rotterdam in Jan.  Wondering if there is a 120 volt outlet in the bathroom?  Thanks for the great info and pictures of the new ship.

Past practice has been to provide a 110V outlet for electric shavers only.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 2:44 PM, Sir PMP said:

How is the general atmosphere on board, is it really festive like an inaugural should be?

Interesting question and difficult for me to answer as this is the first inaugural cruise I have been on.

We are all wearing masks except when eating or drinking or in an open area/deck.  So I think that keeps the jovial, festive atmosphere down a bit.  

However, I think there are smiles behind the mask of the people I meet and I know the employees are happy to have us on board.  All the servers say "welcome back" or something similar as we enter the MDR and every server we pass going out is certain to say "thank you".

Although we missed two ports, had plenty of rainy days, and some rough seas (for some people), it seems that everyone is having a great time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sansterre said:

and after dinner, a special Halloween trivia with Nick aka Tony who has a great sense of humor. We enjoy his trivia sessions.

And yes, those are mice all over his jacket!

Nick on Halloween.jpg

LOVED having Nick on the Nieuw Statendam two years ago as the Assistant Cruise Director. We would always go to the Trivia Game that he lead. One of the question's answers would always be "Belgium!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Interesting question and difficult for me to answer as this is the first inaugural cruise I have been on.

We are all wearing masks except when eating or drinking or in an open area/deck.  So I think that keeps the jovial, festive atmosphere down a bit.  

However, I think there are smiles behind the mask of the people I meet and I know the employees are happy to have us on board.  All the servers say "welcome back" or something similar as we enter the MDR and every server we pass going out is certain to say "thank you".

Although we missed two ports, had plenty of rainy days, and some rough seas (for some people), it seems that everyone is having a great time.

Same on Eurodam, the staff seem particularly grateful we cruised with them, and when we disembarked, they were all saying, "please cruise with us again", perhaps they got some special training in that!   I imagine though, your cruise would not have been at all like, say, the Nieuw Statendam inaugural, which had  many parties and special events, as that would have meant a lot of "togetherness"...

(We did a lot of extra tipping on Eurodam, we were touched by all the staff's attention.)

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

LOVED having Nick on the Nieuw Statendam two years ago as the Assistant Cruise Director. We would always go to the Trivia Game that he lead. One of the question's answers would always be "Belgium!"

We had him, too, and loved his Trivia's!  Yes, and always the "Belgium" answer!  😂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

But, the space between the cabinet and the corner of the bed is very tight.  At least, it was on the other ships on which I have sailed that had that arrangement.  

Pleased to see this, but, are the books there those that cruisers would want to read for recreational reading?  Is there an area for guests to leave books that they have read and don't want to carry home?  

I agree.  The cabin would be much better if it was just 6 inches wider.  It seems narrower than any other HAL cabins we have stayed in. (we have not sailed Koningsdam or New Statendam).

I selected a couple books that interested me, one on travel writing and one on Nordic Tales.  I did not look for, nor did I see recreational fiction reading books.

I have not yet seen a "lend a book" area.  Perhaps that will be something started at the end of this cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

We had him, too, and loved his Trivia's!  Yes, and always the "Belgium" answer!  😂

Yes, still "Belgium" is an answer in every quiz.

I should have included a few trivia questions.  Here is one we missed that I will always remember:

What is a "squatchee"?

(answer to follow in next post)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

But you were never getting a whole lobster on the cruise ship, unless you visited Maine (and I'm not sure that HAL does that I know that Royal and Celebrity did). I'm not suggesting paying for the filet and lobster tail.

And presumably the lobster is served cut in half,  since it is listed on the menu as broiled. So somewhat easier to eat than a whole lobster served in one piece. Of course, there are always the claws, knuckles, etc, unless they are pre-cracked.

Agree - most lobster that is served has the claws cracked to make access easier. 

Heck, even at home I remove the meat out of key parts or crack and split so they are easy to eat 😉  

A whole lobster beats a tail any day - claws, body, plus the tail.  Lots of taste 👍   And, being in the Maritimes, I can tell you that lobster is VERY pricey this year.  Right now, if you can find it, it’s $16.95 per pound (uncooked - add a $1 if you want it cooked).

In the past lobster could be had on mother’s day and father’s day for very reasonable prices.  Didn’t happen this year 😔 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

A whole lobster beats a tail any day - claws, body, plus the tail.  Lots of taste 👍   And, being in the Maritimes, I can tell you that lobster is VERY pricey this year.  Right now, if you can find it, it’s $16.95 per pound (uncooked - add a $1 if you want it cooked).

Thanks, I thought I was going crazy when someone said that they preferred the tail. I don't personally eat lobster (or any shellfish), but my wife does, and she much prefers a whole lobster, or a lobster roll. Lobster tails are easier to eat, but the claws are the best meat, I believe.

I just checked my local NY supermarket's app and they're charging $15.99 a pound for lobster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sansterre said:

Q -  what is a "squatchee" 

A - it is the button at the top of a baseball cap

Who knew?

More questions later, but  off to Trivia now. (usually at 2, but at 1 today)

Followed by "Ask the Captain" at 2:00

Thanks for the heads up!  We'll be on November 10th and hoping he'll still be on with us!  😀

I've been following along and very much enjoying your "Live"!  We are amongst those that switched off of the TA and it's been great reading your Posts!   Enjoy the rest of your Cruise!

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 2:44 AM, sansterre said:

Of course, readers questions and comments are also welcome.  Please join us and the brand new cruise ship Rotterdam VII on this voyage!

DH and I are booked on the Rotterdam in January 2022. I am enjoying your report on the maiden voyage, but have several more pages to read before I get up to date, so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered already. 

We are booked in a Signature suite and are confused about the bathroom layout.  The description on HAL says it has a whirlpool tub and separate shower (the same as we have enjoyed on other HAL ships), but the future cruise agent on our last cruise told us it only has a shower.  Can you please try to find out if the signature suite has a bathtub? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cajuntraveler said:

We are booked in a Signature suite and are confused about the bathroom layout.  The description on HAL says it has a whirlpool tub and separate shower (the same as we have enjoyed on other HAL ships), but the future cruise agent on our last cruise told us it only has a shower.  Can you please try to find out if the signature suite has a bathtub? 

The Rotterdam should have the same room layouts as the other two Pinnacle-class ships. The agent was probably confused with the Vista Suite as that has only a shower. The Signature Suite has a glass door shower and separate whirlpool tub.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 2

Hello all,

Once again thank you for this live on the Rotterdam as it makes it very interesting for us that will be cruising here soon or in the near future. 

For us  it will be soon we will be on her for Xmas and New Years 🙂

have a small question I’ve been following the MDR menu in the Navigator App that is reflecting your cruise but can’t seem to find the cheese plate anymore.  Is that the case no more cheese plate ? 

thanks 

Sea Ya 

Eric 

19 hours ago, idiebabe said:

His last name is Hollevoet , if I remember correctly from our Zaandam cruise in2019. He asked a trivia question about that. Hollevoet means something like “ arched foot “ . Nice guy .

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 7:30 AM, sansterre said:

Headed to the Pinnacle for lunch.  Seth had a HAL trivia the day we missed Azores and our team won.  The prize is lunch at the Pinnacle.

What?  No longer any fabulous, collectable HAL pins?  Oh, the humanity of it....

Time to consider other cruise lines I guess.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, rotjeknor said:

His last name is Hollevoet , if I remember correctly from our Zaandam cruise in2019. He asked a trivia question about that. Hollevoet means something like “ arched foot “ . Nice guy .

It means he has a hole in his foot.

21 hours ago, sansterre said:

Q -  what is a "squatchee" 

A - it is the button at the top of a baseball cap

Who knew?

More questions later, but  off to Trivia now. (usually at 2, but at 1 today)

Followed by "Ask the Captain" at 2:00

I would love to know more trivia questions! I always learn a lot. Thanks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

DH and I are booked on the Rotterdam in January 2022. I am enjoying your report on the maiden voyage, but have several more pages to read before I get up to date, so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered already. 

Cajuntraveler, we are also booked in a SS on the Rotterdam next winter. I have been trying to find out the answer to this question, because there is conflicting information. We have been in an SS on Koningsdam, and that had a tub (no shower) and a tiny separate shower. We have been in an SS on Nieuw Statendam, and that had a glorious huge shower (no tub). I am just hoping Rotterdam follows the design of the NS, but I have yet to hear from someone onboard.

Sansterre, if possible, could you try and give us a definitive answer? Thank You!

Edited by Saphire
  • Like 1