World Cruise Questions

knope2022

Even though there is not capacity for every passenger to eat specialty every single night, I still don't see why you couldn't include UDP.  Most people (after a period of time) are going to get tired of the limited menus of the specialty restaurants and will most likely move between specialty and MDR over the long term.  I imagine that the specialties will be very popular at the start of each segment but as people move forward they are going to want to change things up.  I don't think it would end up being a big problem at all.

• Like 1

We have taken a 3 TAs on this class of ship.  There are conference rooms in the center of the ship on deck 2 or 3.   [can't remember which]  Here is a picture from a jewelry making class.  It was 1 large room that could be divided into smaller segments. I doubt RCL would hire teachers because there will not be enough children and they would not want to be responsible for their schooling.  But, there are spaces.  Also, there is space where the kids club is located.  They could dedicate a couple/few hours each day for parents to use these spaces with their children.  

On each of our TAs we had a series of lectures by professors and other experts on various subjects and on the ports we visited [embarked from].   I imagine they will do this on such a special voyage.  

I ended up having a conversation with the wife of one of our lecturers. She said they were comped a balcony cabin and airfare to meet the ship in Europe. [westbound TA] But, no salary.  I bet there are all sorts of lecturers who would do a portion of this cruise for the unique experiences.  There are so many port stops they could fly them to the ship and off like they do entertainers.  

Some of these might provide content for homeschoolers/online learners--depending on the age of the child. 

IMG_6841.thumb.JPG.eb274625fa2d1cd46c1caf66a6c0ef7b.JPG

39 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Or because of the length of time for this cruise AND the financial obligation that RCL passengers are making to do this, perhaps they could hire a few teachers, elementary, middle and high school levels.  I mean this sincerely, they could definitely do it and I think it would work.

Sorry, but do you really think that the 99% of the passengers who are NOT travelling with school age children would want to see their cruise fares go up to pay the salaries for these teachers? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't think that they are trying to encourage families with children to book.

I doubt they are either.  . . . but, I think they will be surprised by the number of children.  They likely hope there are too few children to run an Adventure Ocean program. 

15 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I doubt they are either.  . . . but, I think they will be surprised by the number of children.  They likely hope there are too few children to run an Adventure Ocean program. 

Is there a chance there won't be an adventure ocean program? They were selling us really hard on the fact they had big plans for the kids program on the ship. Like Hot chocolate nights, pool games, movie screenings, teaching kids about each port, etc. 

What happens if this is cut? Do we then (hopefully) get the option to change our minds about going?

This is something that would make me nervous to commit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I think that Adventure Ocean will still be open, for the few children on board.  RC will just decide staffing levels based on the bookings.

1 minute ago, knope2022 said:

Is there a chance there won't be an adventure ocean program? They were selling us really hard on the fact they had big plans for the kids program on the ship. Like Hot chocolate nights, pool games, movie screenings, teaching kids about each port, etc. 

What happens if this is cut? Do we then (hopefully) get the option to change our minds about going?

This is a unique voyage.  If that is what they are selling then maybe they are trying to attract families.  Good luck

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I think that they were just trying to attract knope.  😉

I mean to be fair if Leslie Knope was on board that would be all I would need to book immediately. Can you imagine the waffle parties? The Galentine's Day gala? Forget the ports, that would be the trip right there.

I can't imagine our two balconies are too exciting for them. lol.

Edited by knope2022
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, knope2022 said:

I personally feel very strongly doubt this will be cut.  It would make no sense, because like you and your family, there will be many others traveling with kids, for all four segments, perhaps not, but for some, most assuredly.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, knope2022 said:

They also did confirm no babysitting. I am hopeful some people missing their grandkids will be nice enough and we'll trust them enough to beg them to watch the kids once in a while. Fingers crossed, lol.

I would think your best option would be to connect with the few other parents to take turns watching each other's kids from time to time.

4 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

First, I don't mean to offend anyone but...as a Grandmother of 8 ranging in ages from 13 to 22, I can't imagine anyone of them would want to be on even one leg of this tour let alone the entire world cruise sailing!!

Don’t see why anyone would be offended by this!  Can only say the OP knows her children best and if they feel  their kids will be ok, why not do it.  Incredible learning experience for all.

• Like 1

I booked as a solo for now, but would love to bring my kids (15 and 17 during this cruise) and they both definitely want to come. My concerns are that I would not be a good homeschool teacher and I don't see spending 9 months with my ex as going well. But it is the chance of a lifetime for all of us, so I'm trying to decide if I can make it all work.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't think that they are trying to encourage families with children to book.

I have done three world cruises on other lines and have only seen two non-crew children onboard.  Granted those lines have different demographics but I would be shocked if there were ten kids onboard for the whole cruise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RKBA said:

I booked as a solo for now, but would love to bring my kids (15 and 17 during this cruise) and they both definitely want to come. My concerns are that I would not be a good homeschool teacher and I don't see spending 9 months with my ex as going well. But it is the chance of a lifetime for all of us, so I'm trying to decide if I can make it all work.

Why not have them join you for one of the legs rather than the whole thing? Maybe a good compromise? 

The OP knows her kids.  I have some grands who would never be able to tolerate such a trip and others who would love the experience!  

I would find it hard on some port intensive legs to get in the time home schooling requires.  Other legs seem to have more sea days where you could catch up. It would require some flexibility but it could be done.   Seeing the world, geography, culture, history is an education in itself.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PolytheneGirl said:

Why not have them join you for one of the legs rather than the whole thing? Maybe a good compromise? 

Depending on your countries school summer holidays, I guess the forth sector would be mostly during the school holidays , 10th July to 10th Sept.  For this reason it would probably be the one with the most families with children 

Edited by sgmn

Before this trip was announced we were in the well into the process of planning on living abroad for 18 months in Europe and traveling extensively, 1-2 months in each country. Our kids were over the moon about the trip planning, their school was supportive too. When we told them about the cruise they were even more excited and it significantly lightened the logistics of our planning as well as turned a European trip into a world trip for us.

I can't speak for other kids, but ours have traveled via cruise and traditional travel all their lives. We feel pretty confident in making this choice for them. Fingers crossed for us that there are other kids too.

Maybe with Royal skewing younger than Crystal/Princess/Regent and people during the pandemic shifting to WFH more, there may be more families on board. 🤞🏻

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I read somewhere that if you decline the airfare package, you get a credit.  I don't recall the amount, but it wasn't small.

My TA said no credit. 

Someone did mention a credit for the excursions pkg. It was generous 

Edited by John&LaLa