"ALWAYS INCLUDED" PERHAPS CELEBRITY SHOULD RETHINK THIS ONE

Spif Barwunkel

There have been several threads pertaining to Celebrity's  "Always Included" feature and for the most part negative comments abound. I have always been a proponent of AI, perhaps because it has not caused me consternation when booking cruises. However, there are lots of seasoned, intelligent cruisers who seem to think that AI is a form of misdirection, disabling an otherwise smooth booking process while enabling X to take away their choice. The more I read and participate in these threads, the more I have come to realize that this might be the case.

Whether intentional or not, X's presentation of the AI feature is at best, confusing. Beyond that, understanding where it relates and when it applies can cause frustration in that one does not feel in control of the booking process. Simply put, Celebrity is in control of what I want. I will settle for what X wants to give me. That kind of mindset among current passengers does not ensure loyalty. And, when Celebrity is looking to attract new cruisers, the easiest approach to book a cruise without doing research and reading between the lines is the one that works best.

I am to the point where I believe Celebrity needs to rethink this one. Fraud is a powerful descriptor and has been used by some posters in referencing Always Included. Personally, I would not want that word to integrate any part of my business. I have never had a problem with AI. However, because so many good folks find this feature to be off-putting, perhaps Celebrity should find a better way to entice it's customers while being totally transparent in that endeavor.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion, when it started it was fine.   But now they are either having problems with their website or they are trying to move away from the always included.  Whene I pull up fares for a number of cruises, a 20% savings fare shows but not the always included.  In some of the web pages the "drinks, wifi and tips" shows up on the pick your fare page but doesn't show up as you move further through the process.  Of course you can call and get the always included rate but it isn't available on the web page.  They have created confusion for many and this will result in disappointed, frustrated travelers.  It is especially a problem since I clicked through the "always included" add on the front web page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Catclaws said:

In my opinion, when it started it was fine.   But now they are either having problems with their website or they are trying to move away from the always included.  Whene I pull up fares for a number of cruises, a 20% savings fare shows but not the always included.  In some of the web pages the "drinks, wifi and tips" shows up on the pick your fare page but doesn't show up as you move further through the process.  Of course you can call and get the always included rate but it isn't available on the web page.  They have created confusion for many and this will result in disappointed, frustrated travelers.  It is especially a problem since I clicked through the "always included" add on the front web page.

We booked a cruise back in June before the 20% discount. When I run the cruise through now to get the 20% off the price, the price including the discount comes out the same as we paid and both options show the AI. 

• Haha 1

As they generally go toe to toe with Holland America and Princess, surprised they don’t try to be competitive in their choices.

Both the aforementioned clearly offer the upfront option of drinks, WiFi etc. included as well as a basic stripped down version, as well as refundable and non refundable deposits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

As they generally go toe to toe with Holland America and Princess, surprised they don’t try to be competitive in their choices.

Both the aforementioned clearly offer the upfront option of drinks, WiFi etc. included as well as a basic stripped down version, as well as refundable and non refundable deposits.

why do you say they   ' don’t try to be competitive in their choices.'  ?

4 hours ago, intr3pid said:

They should simply provide the choices in a more transparent and intuitive way. 

Correct:

1) a base price with tips.

2) everything else as options.

Noone loses, if you like AI add the drinks, internet or both.

Solo passengers won't pay for 2 internet and 2 drinks packages.

If you like this tell Celebrity.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hasentreelake said:

why do you say they   ' don’t try to be competitive in their choices.'  ?

Because the other lines give you the choice of a base plus drinks, internet etc. Celebrity don't, unless you have a guarantee cabin on a selected number of itineraries.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this thread.   I have been complaining about AI and Celebrity's price bundling approach since it started.  

For a while transatlantic cruises were excluded from AI and still a good value, that changed and when I compare cruise prices with Royal and Princess, I find that Royal is my best choice.

AI has effectively gutted my Elite benefits and loyalty is pretty much out the window.

I will still check with Celebrity and compare with Royal, NCL and Princess, but won't spend a lot more just to cruise with X.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, intr3pid said:

They should simply provide the choices in a more transparent and intuitive way. 

Exactly ---Just follow the KISS theory ( Keep it Simple Stupid )

The current pricing structure is not a " fraud "--- it's confusing and frustrating to say the least.

It's been repeated xxx times ( by me and others ) --- because we don't drink , don't need much internet time, and are happy to include gratuities -- just give me a price for the cabin choice we select.

Come to think of it----- about gratuities----Celebrity should include in their Marketing :

" Kindly submit your reasons for removing gratuities prior to sailing . This will ease the congestion at GR and save you the frustration of thinking 'em up during the cruise. "

• Like 1

It is like going to a movie theater these day and having to pay a high price for popcorn and soda when you don't want that.

I stopped buying popcorn and soda decades ago, when the price of those items exceeded the price of entry into the movie.  

• Like 2

A version of he old Burger King: "Have it you way"  might be a good choice since we live in a world where many don't like to be told what they can or cannot do Ads for Liberty Mutual which say: "You only pay for what you need" reflect the same. The choice is a business choice and Celebrity is free to do whatever they choose and we can decide for ourselves how we respond.

Prior to AI  there were numerous complaints that the advertised price was misleading as you then were charged an additional amount for the daily gratuity , more for drinks, etc.  Lots of complaints of nickel and dime pricing and why can’t they just give me one price.  

AI came along and the complaints started about lack of pricing choices, so Simply Sail, Cruise Only and Guarantee Rates all without  add ons.  Seems like there isn’t a pricing structure that some won’t complain about

There are a lot of All Inclusive Resorts that seem to do quite well with that pricing approach as well as many of the higher end cruise lines.   We like AI pricing be it on a ship or resort and hope they stick with it.

We have been on the Edge for almost 2 weeks have not had anyone ask us about upgrading the beverage or wi-fi or  approaching us in a bar or the OV to book specialty restaurants- it has been very pleasantl

• Like 9

I agree the option to add the All Inclusive should be an option.  We have 2 cruises booked prior to the inception of AI and moved due to cancellations through Blue Chip Club that do not include AI.  Booking all parts of the AI would cost more than the price of the cruise.  However, we are not allowed to add AI which amounts to only about $450-$500/pp.  

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Thank you for posting this thread.   I have been complaining about AI and Celebrity's price bundling approach since it started.  

For a while transatlantic cruises were excluded from AI and still a good value, that changed and when I compare cruise prices with Royal and Princess, I find that Royal is my best choice.

AI has effectively gutted my Elite benefits and loyalty is pretty much out the window.

I will still check with Celebrity and compare with Royal, NCL and Princess, but won't spend a lot more just to cruise with X.

As I understand Celebrity is running a special currently that allows you to book with a NRD, no perks(AI) and a 20% discount and allows you to pick a cabin.  The sounds what you and others are requesting.

You can use your CC benefits without any dilution.  Did you or others book under this offer?  Expires in November 1, so you better hurry.

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

Correct:

1) a base price with tips.

2) everything else as options.

Noone loses, if you like AI add the drinks, internet or both.

Solo passengers won't pay for 2 internet and 2 drinks packages.

If you like this tell Celebrity.

Problem there...NCL does that.  They add in "Always free" and allow you to remove one or two of the perks.  However, they put an asterisk on the bottom of the booking stating they add "service fees" to the perks, which is mandatory, and not really free perks at all.

• Like 2

I'm one of those cruisers OP mentioned.  Frankly, I don't have a huge problem with the concept of AI, but I completely agree that the way it's been implemented and marketed can rather easily result in confusion and frustration.  This has come to light particularly with the current "loyalty" promotion that results in a booking without perks even though the marketing present throughout the booking process leads one to believe otherwise.  In the case of this promotion, the customer is not presented with a choice between "sail only" or "always included" fares.

15 hours ago, Catclaws said:

13 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I interpret “Always Included” as a booking category. 
You can book that or you can book “not always included” 

It's not always that straightforward.

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

You can't, as "without AI" is only on a limited number of itineraries and only by choosing a guaranteed cabin. 

That's not true.  Simply entering your CC number in the booking results in a "without AI" booking at the moment but without some affirmative indication that it does.

I find the original poster completely correct.

I'm looking to book a Celebrity cruise, over a year out, in a suite.

On the left hand side, when I select a room category it talks about all the benefits of it, including "Featured Amenities: Complimentary drinks and gourmet bites"

Then I choose "Select and continue" and it says "Retreat guarantee: Cruise only rate. Drinks, wi-fi and other amenities are not included."

So I choose one thing, then the confirmation selection tells me something completely different! And I can't choose anything else. And it doesn't explain why it contradicts itself.

Then I choose Select and the next page comes up: "Review and Pay". And it shows this:

Sky Suite Guarantee

First Guest

Second Guest

Discounts

RETREAT NRD

20PCTAUS NRD

The Retreat

Streaming Wi-Fi

$400 per person in shore excursion and onboard credits

Premium drinks

Service Charges

And incidentally if I look at the same cruise through any travel agent they all say it's an all inclusive rate (same price and everything). And even Celebrity's own site says Always included applies to guarantees, and there's no reason it shouldn't be.

Special Offer on All-Inclusive Suite Experience - The Retreat | Celebrity Cruises

"

The Retreat Amenities: All guests who book The Retreat® on or after November 17, 2020 will receive the IndulgePackage at no additional charge. The Indulge Package provides a Premium BeveragePackage, prepaid tips, and an onboard credit (“OBC”) for all guests in the stateroom, plusan Unlimited Stream Internet Package for the first and second guest. OBC amount variesby length of sailing: $200 per person for sailings 1 – 5 nights, $300 per person for sailings6 – 9 nights, and $400 per person for sailings 10 nights or longer. OBC has no cash value,is applicable to cruise only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and will expireif not used by 10:00 p.m. on the final night of the cruise. Prepaid tips provide tips for butler,headwaiter, waiter, and assistant waiter in the amount suggested by Celebrity’sguidelines.

Offer applies to new individual bookings and to staterooms in non-contracted group bookings, which must be named and deposited during the Offer Period. Offer is capacity controlled; availability varies by sailing, and eligible staterooms may sell out. All offers are non-transferable and applicable only to the Offer Cruise. Offer is not combinable with Exciting Deals, Interline, Loyalty, Net, Travel Partner or Employee Rates. No refunds or credits will be granted for unused options. Offer and prices are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and not applicable to charters or contracted groups. Single occupancy bookings are eligible for the Offer. Changes to booking may result in removal of Offer. Travel Agents: Group bookings that are named prior to the start date of the Offer cannot be cancelled and rebooked under this Offer."

So does it come with Always Included or not? I have a strong case that it should... but there's that single panel along the way that said it's a cruise only rate. Which looks more look like a bug... but given Celebrity's track record, is probably correct, and all the other statements are wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

I'm one of those cruisers OP mentioned.  Frankly, I don't have a huge problem with the concept of AI, but I completely agree that the way it's been implemented and marketed can rather easily result in confusion and frustration.  This has come to light particularly with the current "loyalty" promotion that results in a booking without perks even though the marketing present throughout the booking process leads one to believe otherwise.  In the case of this promotion, the customer is not presented with a choice between "sail only" or "always included" fares.

That's not true.  Simply entering your CC number in the booking results in a "without AI" booking at the moment but without some affirmative indication that it does.

I just did two unexecuted bookings for TA cruises in the Fall of 2023 and neither had the option to book without AI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

See post 24. Try it yourself not only on TA's but all the European, Far East and Asia Pacific cruises we have tried