Just got dumped from a penthouse to a mini-suite for 11/6 sailing

BabsinTX

I need to rant:  Last night, 10/28, Princess told us they were moving us from the Emerald penthouse we booked in August 2020 to a mini-suite for our 11/6 sailing.  The reason was to "clear" Aloha for isolation cabins.  Why this wasn't done months ago?  We would have cancelled but are traveling with three other couples.  Yes, we're getting a "free" cruise and will be refunded the fare  We'll still have all the suite amenities, etc.  Still, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.  And we have four more cruises booked, including March 2022. Now I'm not so excited about them.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have read about passengers being moved due to isolation areas.  I don't recall being moved down before. While I understand your frustration, I'd give Princess a B in dealing with this situation.  You get to keep the suite perks on this free cruise and get your fare refunded.  The one unknown is when Princess knew they needed/wanted Aloha for isolation.  The other consideration I could see them giving is rather than the fare back whatever amount it would cost to get you in PH suite for a "new cruise" you book.  That's assuming you still want to cruise Princess.  I hope when you get on board, your excitement will come out. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

I need to rant:  Last night, 10/28, Princess told us they were moving us from the Emerald penthouse we booked in August 2020 to a mini-suite for our 11/6 sailing.  The reason was to "clear" Aloha for isolation cabins.  Why this wasn't done months ago?  We would have cancelled but are traveling with three other couples.  Yes, we're getting a "free" cruise and will be refunded the fare  We'll still have all the suite amenities, etc.  Still, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.  And we have four more cruises booked, including March 2022. Now I'm not so excited about them.

I wonder why you had to move from EMERALD deck if they were clearing out ALOHA.  Seems like there was another customer that they needed to put in a Suite over you.  We don't book Suites but if I think of a similar impact to us, I'd probably be fine with the compensation unless I had some very special reason for having a better stateroom. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

Can you clarify the sentence that I have highlighted?

When you say, "refunded the fare," it sounds like the fare that you paid for the Nov. 6 cruise is being refunded.  In other words you are, in fact, paying $0 for the Mini Suite on this same cruise.  Additionally, you will be getting suite amenities--e.g., minibar setup, embarkation day canapes, embarkation day champagne, embarkation day complimentary specialy dining, fruit bowl, free laundry and shoe shine service, room service off the dining room menu, and I'm sure I missed something.

Our next cruise is not until 2022.  We have a suite on the Discovery Princess.  To be honest, I'll take your deal every time.

Now, the reason I have asked for clarification is that the first time I read that sentence, I thought it said that the fare you had paid for the Nov. 6 cruise would be refunded AND you were being offered a second cruise for free.  I now do not think that is what you meant.

• Like 7

I would be disappointed also but I think in these days, one needs to roll with the punches and be flexible.

I think Princess is being extremely fair to you given the situation.

I hope you have a great cruise even though it isn't the suite experience you expected.

• Like 11

This really is the best of both worlds IMO.  I love mini-suites and suites, but suites are less affordable for us most of the time.  We have had a suite a couple of times and it truly has spoiled us for some many of the lovely perks.  I think my biggest concern would be having to remind my cabin steward of this "hiccup" throughout since I'm sure the rest of the minis that they manage are not under those special circumstances.  

I do acknowledge that this is not exactly the trip that the OP had planned...it's free and that's a pretty big score!  I do hope that you enjoy it despite the issues.

• Like 1

OP here.  Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, our cruise fare will be refunded, but we are not getting a second free cruise.  We are extremely picky about what cabins we choose, which is why we book so early and always "no upgrade".  Yes, I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves, especially with our friends. 

End of rant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

You have five cruises booked really?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BabsinTX said:

Yup, on Princess.  Plus a Viking B2B in October 2022.  We REALLY missed cruising.

Lucky for you having the time and money to do so. I'd enjoy your FREE mini suite cruise if I were you.

Edited by jimbo1683
  • Like 4

Let me start by saying I understand not wanting to be moved. And I only have 4 more booked, all marked no upgrade. I also pick my room and was moved on one in September. PCL thought the BE was superior to BW E421 on a royal class ship. They thought wrong. 

I am reading OP's post as shock that they were downgraded despite the new room being a Club Class Mini

4 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

all the suite amenities

Thing is some pick a room in particular. Maybe they wanted to share their expanded balcony and mini-suites have abysmally small balconies.

@BabsinTX look at the bright side .... free

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

Just now, Ombud said:

3' wide balcony instead of enlarged balcony 

WALDT!!😃

We’ve spent a lot of time in each but cash is king for me. 

just last month we moved from an S3 to an M1 on a TA next year and pocketed the over $14K difference. Very happy despite losing suite perks and a 181 sq ft balcony. 

as I said WALDT

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

I would be jumping for joy to have gotten to keep all the suite amenities and a full refund.  You really should cancel all 4 of your upcoming cruises with Princess feeling this was so terrible.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure why more people don't see her point. It would be like you booked a first class ticket on a airline.  They say sorry we are going to move you to coach. Don't worry you still get the get the meal just have sit back here. Now  wel are going on our first cruise on Princess.  But the other lines we sailed the Penthouse was special. 

• Like 7

How's this for humble braggadocio? I have been on 33 cruises. None of those did we sign for any cabin past 'outside'. We are, by practicality, 'budget cruisers'. We have 8 currently signed. 

Could we have been in a suite on any? Yes. But then we would have had far fewer cruises. Reality intrudes!

So, to Eveann's example. If we could afford the 1st class, and were moved but charged nothing, I cannot say I would be unhappy. Of course, if we were wealthy enough that we could have flown 1st class and signed Penthouse suites on all 33 past cruises without budget strain, perhaps I would have some complaint receiving OP's news. I wish. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eveann said:

I'm not sure why more people don't see her point. It would be like you booked a first class ticket on a airline.  They say sorry we are going to move you to coach. Don't worry you still get the get the meal just have sit back here. Now  wel are going on our first cruise on Princess.  But the other lines we sailed the Penthouse was special. 

I think if it was a one time special anniversary and this was their only cruise in 10 years - we would understand. Otherwise, they will be treated fine, they have other opportunities to be a suite and to cruise. I have cruised in everything from insides to suites. They will be on the cruise and will get suite benefits. The cabin will be big enough. 

Edited by Coral

9 hours ago, Eveann said:

I like your comparison and I would feel the same as OP....it is just the idea of Princess doing it so close to their cruise date and it is not like Princess did not know Covid has been going on for awhile and they need to make modifications to cabin assignments.....poor Customer Relations move......

• Like 4