Just got dumped from a penthouse to a mini-suite for 11/6 sailing

BabsinTX

9 hours ago, Eveann said:

I'm not sure why more people don't see her point. It would be like you booked a first class ticket on a airline.  They say sorry we are going to move you to coach. Don't worry you still get the get the meal just have sit back here. Now  wel are going on our first cruise on Princess.  But the other lines we sailed the Penthouse was special. 

I do see her point...but in your example its more like being moved from first class to  business class (coach would be an interior or OV)  AND having them return the 1k (or whatever) each paid, effectively letting you fly for free.  I get the disappointment but it sounds fair, and at the moment with Covid and other changes we must be flexible, frustrating as it is. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 7

For us, a mini suite doesn’t work. Booked one once without realizing that the headroom in the shower/tub combo caused my vertically challenged DH to have to bend over every time he wanted a shower. Not disabling but very uncomfortable! Tried a shower chair, but that didn’t work either. If height wasn’t an issue, we’d love to book minis. I’m sure the OP will have a wonderful FREE cruise. 

I remember people on our British Isles cruise who took a similar offer to move from a balcony cabin to an inside in exchange for getting their cruise free. They loved being able to spend more on excursions.

Being downgraded involuntarily, though, doesn't sound great. I guess I'm lucky that now that I have to sail solo, I've been booking the lowest possible inside category. Princess can't downgrade my cabin unless I get assigned to crew quarters. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

in your example its more like being moved from first class to  business class

No. Giving up a 181 sq ft balcony for a 3' wide one is going from a 1st class balcony to a basic economy balcony.

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

I agree with the OP.   You should demand that there are No glitches like when you walk into the Sabatinis or Crown Grill for Breakfast that 1st morning. They always check your cabin # .   Tell them you don’t want that uncomfortable feeling that they might give you , when they are trying to figure out why you are there. And you are having to stand around & wait while they are straightening this all out.   It can be embarrassing.  
    I am sure all will be fine.   On a bright spot , maybe they will think you are a VIP.  And have the Captain come & eat breakfast with you guys every morning.  I have really seen this. So I am not kidding.

I totally agree with the original poster. I have a penthouse suite for a B2B in December. I specifically booked that cabin so I could have a huge balcony and avoid crowds. I fine those tiny balconies on the royal class ships as completely unacceptable and will never book one of the cabins. I would probably cancel my cruise and use my money elsewhere. Booking a penthouse suite isn’t a “just another cruise” for me. I too have a lot of cruises under my belt and know what I want. I’m probably not even getting on the ship much and so my balcony IS my cruise. Now I’m nervous myself. 

• Like 4

Going from a full suite down to a mini suite is a big downgrade, so I can completely understand why you are disappointed. That said, I think that Princess handled this unavoidable Covid isolation situation in the very best way for you. Offering you a full refund and still maintaining the suite privileges is outstanding, and I hope you will still have a fabulous cruise. 

• Like 6

On 10/31/2021 at 1:42 AM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I totally agree with the original poster. I have a penthouse suite for a B2B in December. I specifically booked that cabin so I could have a huge balcony and avoid crowds. I fine those tiny balconies on the royal class ships as completely unacceptable and will never book one of the cabins. I would probably cancel my cruise and use my money elsewhere. Booking a penthouse suite isn’t a “just another cruise” for me. I too have a lot of cruises under my belt and know what I want. I’m probably not even getting on the ship much and so my balcony IS my cruise. Now I’m nervous myself. 

Exactly.  For my next cruise in 1 month, masks are required while indoors at all times. For all 10 days. With my reasonable size balcony I can have my mimosa & brunch while transiting the locks in the morning / wine cooler & appetizers while transiting in the afternoon. If downgraded to a postage size balcony I'd be paying for the enclave while masked. Not a comparable experience IMHO

The more I think about it, the more I can relate to how the OP feels.  I am learning to realize how much I dislike change and I too would probably have the same reaction to this at first.  It's easy for me to have the outlook I have several posts back when it's not my trip.  I think it would take a bit for the shock to wear off and for me to settle into enjoying the realized new reality.  

• Like 1

Just curious... We are  currently booked on an aft Baja deck cabin for a transatlantic. If they are utilizing the Aloha aft cabins for quarantine I am not sure how comfortable I would be utilizing our balcony given the close proximity. We upgraded in order to have the larger balcony. 

On 10/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, BabsinTX said:

I need to rant:  Last night, 10/28, Princess told us they were moving us from the Emerald penthouse we booked in August 2020 to a mini-suite for our 11/6 sailing.  The reason was to "clear" Aloha for isolation cabins.  Why this wasn't done months ago?  We would have cancelled but are traveling with three other couples.  Yes, we're getting a "free" cruise and will be refunded the fare  We'll still have all the suite amenities, etc.  Still, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.  And we have four more cruises booked, including March 2022. Now I'm not so excited about them.

Has this happened to anyone else?

did you have the option to "move over" to another cruise date, retain a PH suite "and" get the current cruise fare as refundable OBC on the next cruise selected ? ... but ( see above bold )

11 hours ago, Lvntrvl said:

Just curious... We are  currently booked on an aft Baja deck cabin for a transatlantic. If they are utilizing the Aloha aft cabins for quarantine I am not sure how comfortable I would be utilizing our balcony given the close proximity. We upgraded in order to have the larger balcony. 

You won't be within 3 feet of them. And wouldn't the virus go out to sea instead of down thru the floor?

Edited by Ombud