Is the Captain's club dead?

maxsales

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We made Elite with just 3 Sky Suite sailings of 10-12 days in length, not sure how much we spent but I would guess a little less than the $26,000 above. 

The math is fairly simple on the number of cruises, it's the cost of the cruises that is open to debate. Elite is 300 points and 3 x 12 night cruises would only give you 288 points so were there previous cruise(s)?

Regardless, if you drink "socially" you're having anywhere between 2 and 4 drinks in that 2hr HH span which equates to between $150 - $300 on a 7 night cruise the value of which is roughly 1.2% of the amount you've spent on X to get to Elite. Are you really spending tens of thousands on a particular brand to get a 1.2% in return?

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Sorry to read that. I’m very surprised this is occurring on a Roll Call. I love Roll Calls because we focus on the cruise, setting up socializing, planning tours and sharing. No complaining or politicking on how they would run a business they have no idea about.

Some just can't pass up on any opportunity to reiterate ...

If they don't think that by now, everyone who could possibly hear the message hasn't already heard it at least a couple of dozen times ... what's the point, beyond that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

The math is fairly simple on the number of cruises, it's the cost of the cruises that is open to debate. Elite is 300 points and 3 x 12 night cruises would only give you 288 points so were there previous cruise(s)?

You are  correct but our most recent Sky Suite cruise last August on the Equinox had a bonus booking promo of double CC points so we got 16 points per night  or 144 total for the cruise. This cruise was only a 9 night cruise  and our previous two cruises were 12 nights each. I believe we also have another 15 CC points from participating in the Power Up points program.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

You are  correct but our most recent Sky Suite cruise last August on the Equinox had a bonus booking promo of double CC points so we got 16 points per night  or 144 total for the cruise. This cruise was only a 9 night cruise  and our previous two cruises were 12 nights each. I believe we also have another 15 CC points from participating in the Power Up points program.

So there is the explanation on how you got to 300 in just 3 cruises, but those 12 nighters will have cost a lot more than the 7 nighter I used for my calculations.

There are probably enough permutations on how to get loyalty points the fastest you could probably write a PHD thesis in Theoretical Mathematics on it. 😄

My guess is your 2 12 nighters & a 9 nighter might clock in somewhere around $20k per couple which means the HH benefit value for a social drinker could climb to 1.5%, still not enough to sway my decision but maybe it is for others.

Edited by cdn_tbird

2 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

So there is the explanation on how you got to 300 in just 3 cruises, but those 12 nighters will have cost a lot more than the 7 nighter I used for my calculations.

There are probably enough permutations on how to get loyalty points the fastest you could probably write a PHD thesis in Theoretical Mathematics on it. 😄

My guess is your 2 12 nighters & a 9 nighter might clock in somewhere around $20k per couple which means the HH benefit value for a social drinker could climb to 1.5%, still not enough to sway my decision but maybe it is for others.

Well, probably in Applied Mathematics rather than theoretical…

Just for sake of additional permutations, because all of our PhD dissertations need to address permutations and uncertainties, we hit Elite with two Celebrity cruises: 

15 night transpacific in a Celebrity Suite (192 CC points)

9 night South Pacific in a Sky Suite (72 CC points)

Plus around 50 points from Power Up promos - I’d have to check our current total to see how many exactly.

I just checked the booking confirmations and our total cost per person was about $8,000. It was a GREAT deal on that transpacific. Absent PUPs, we would have had to add a third cruise to get 300 CC points, which would have undoubtedly put us into your estimated range of $20k+ for two people.

All of which is essentially irrelevant to your point that your decision is based on the criteria that you consider to be important, not on what I may have done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To get back to the question, Any program that recognizes loyalty is not "Dead".  However Celebrity changed their pricing, the way people book cruises, Deposits refundable vs nonrefundable and so much more...some good, some not so good.  Since they formed the "NEW" captains club in 2013 there have been relatively few changes except that they added the happy hour in all bars, which most people were amenable to.   Zenith Members, with Covid lost the ability to use the "Retreat" lounge, which makes sense as less people less germs etc.   I think it is time for Celebrity to Re-evaluate the Captains club and adjust their benefits accordingly.  I don't think this program is Dead, but its been running on auto pilot for too long.   Sadly most airline and hotel loyalty programs have been cutting back and I think Celebrity's next step will do similar.  As a traveler who travels Celebrity, Silversea and the occasional RCL, I wish their new program brought it all together somehow.....Though I do recognize that this is a tall order as the passengers on these lines have vast differences.  As with most things, Time shall tell.  Lets give them some more time to regroup and get started again....Then we see.  Safe sails for all!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

Well, probably in Applied Mathematics rather than theoretical…

Just for sake of additional permutations, because all of our PhD dissertations need to address permutations and uncertainties, we hit Elite with two Celebrity cruises: 

15 night transpacific in a Celebrity Suite (192 CC points)

9 night South Pacific in a Sky Suite (72 CC points)

Plus around 50 points from Power Up promos - I’d have to check our current total to see how many exactly.

I just checked the booking confirmations and our total cost per person was about $8,000. It was a GREAT deal on that transpacific. Absent PUPs, we would have had to add a third cruise to get 300 CC points, which would have undoubtedly put us into your estimated range of $20k+ for two people.

All of which is essentially irrelevant to your point that your decision is based on the criteria that you consider to be important, not on what I may have done. 

I went with "Theoretical" since there probably is a need to invent some kind of new math in order to solve loyalty program options.😄 😄 😄

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, cruiseerf said:

To get back to the question, Any program that recognizes loyalty is not "Dead".  However Celebrity changed their pricing, the way people book cruises, Deposits refundable vs nonrefundable and so much more...some good, some not so good.  Since they formed the "NEW" captains club in 2013 there have been relatively few changes except that they added the happy hour in all bars, which most people were amenable to.   Zenith Members, with Covid lost the ability to use the "Retreat" lounge, which makes sense as less people less germs etc.   I think it is time for Celebrity to Re-evaluate the Captains club and adjust their benefits accordingly.  I don't think this program is Dead, but its been running on auto pilot for too long.   Sadly most airline and hotel loyalty programs have been cutting back and I think Celebrity's next step will do similar.  As a traveler who travels Celebrity, Silversea and the occasional RCL, I wish their new program brought it all together somehow.....Though I do recognize that this is a tall order as the passengers on these lines have vast differences.  As with most things, Time shall tell.  Lets give them some more time to regroup and get started again....Then we see.  Safe sails for all!  

Yes time to change CC and modernize going forward.  Forget loyalty perks as fixed pieces.  Maybe make it equitable and simple.  Offer cash back (like credit cards) or offer discounts to be used on whatever you want (on cabin price, drink packages, WiFi, etc.).  Come up with a chart that offers percent discounts based on CC Points earned.  Or take cash back instead.  Then no more grousing and complaining about changes and takeaways.  Or about marketing programs like AI.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes time to change CC and modernize going forward.  Forget loyalty perks as fixed pieces.  Maybe make it equitable and simple.  Offer cash back (like credit cards) or offer discounts to be used on whatever you want (on cabin price, drink packages, WiFi, etc.).  Come up with a chart that offers percent discounts based on CC Points earned.  Or take cash back instead.  Then no more grousing and complaining about changes and takeaways.  Or about marketing programs like AI.  

t - You know, as well as many other of us, that there will some challenge even with this outline for an equitable program.

bon voyage

36 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

t - You know, as well as many other of us, that there will some challenge even with this outline for an equitable program.

bon voyage

Yes somebody will always find something to complain about!😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes somebody will always find something to complain about!😀

Too true.  I know some folks that, if you gave them a bar of gold, they'd complain about how heavy it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, the penguins said:

No other major cruise line (including Royal) has gone the route chosen by Celebrity of introducing a pricing structure that impacts so disastrously on many of it's most loyal customers.

Celebrity has recognised the problem in an email from Marie Kirk, Celebrity Engagement Center based in Wichita, who stated " we appreciate that not everyone wants or needs a full beverage package or WiFi access, so we are working to address that".

If you want to make your views known you can email Marie Kirk,  celebrityengagementcenter@celebrity.com

I guess the above depends on the definition of "major cruise line".  Virtually all luxury class cruise lines include most of the things that Celebrity includes in their "all inclusive" fares.  I have assumed that X includes those things because it does not want to be considered a mainstream cruise line but, rather, somewhere between mainstream and luxury but closer to luxury than to mainstream.  The corporate office does not want Celebrity to be competing with Royal Caribbean for mainstream cruisers and Celebrity prices, which were once very close to being competitive with Royal's, are now substantially higher than Royal's.  The only exceptions are the relatively rare cases when heavily discounted fares are offered without AI and Celebrity seems to avoid offering those unless the marketing department determines that they really have to.  

We booked a cruise on Celebrity and opted to not take the perks included.  Main reason, it was $500 less to book without the perks.  We have drinks in the evening from Elite and some onboard credit from our TA for most of our gratuities.  This was for a week long to the Caribbean on Reflection.

12 hours ago, actuarian said:

I guess the above depends on the definition of "major cruise line".  Virtually all luxury class cruise lines include most of the things that Celebrity includes in their "all inclusive" fares.  I have assumed that X includes those things because it does not want to be considered a mainstream cruise line but, rather, somewhere between mainstream and luxury but closer to luxury than to mainstream.  The corporate office does not want Celebrity to be competing with Royal Caribbean for mainstream cruisers and Celebrity prices, which were once very close to being competitive with Royal's, are now substantially higher than Royal's.  The only exceptions are the relatively rare cases when heavily discounted fares are offered without AI and Celebrity seems to avoid offering those unless the marketing department determines that they really have to.  

I will rephrase. No other major cruise line that I can find has has changed it's price structure. All Inclusives are still All Inclusives. Others are still basic plus options. Celebrity are now Always Included (not All Inclusive) and in most cases except in guarantee cabins on limited routes with no options.

15 hours ago, actuarian said:

HAL has a similar pricing structure and they call it "Have It All". You can book with or without it. Has everything X AI has  less the prepaid gratuities but add a credit for shore excursions and  specialty dinning. 

HAVE IT ALL Included for All Guests:

• 2 SHORE EXCURSIONS (up to US$200 per guest)
  • DRINKS wine, beer, cocktails, specialty coffee, soda + tips included
  • SPECIALTY DINING EXPERIENCE
  • WI-FI for guests 1 & 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

HAL has a similar pricing structure and they call it "Have It All". You can book with or without it. Has everything X AI has  less the prepaid gratuities but add a credit for shore excursions and  specialty dinning. 

• WI-FI for guests 1 & 2

Another similar marketing campaign.  Remember Celebrities Big-Better-Best?  Or 1-2-3 Go.  Now AI.  There will be another catchy name by next year.

I guess cruising "For the HAL of It" might work?  Or maybe some long time cruisers would say "Hal No".  I could go on but I won't.😀

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Another similar marketing campaign.  Remember Celebrities Big-Better-Best?  Or 1-2-3 Go.  Now AI.  There will be another catchy name by next year.

I guess cruising "For the HAL of It" might work?  Or maybe some long time cruisers would say "Hal No".  I could go on but I won't.😀

We have it all on our 14 night Oosterdam cruise next year and it includes beverage package, $200pp shore excursions credit, WiFi for 2 and 2 specialty dining for 2 for a total value of $1386 in perks. The SS cost with have it all was $500pp more than without so for us it is worth doing. At the time we booked Have it all included gratuities but it is not included for new bookings now, that gives us even more value.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We have it all on our 14 night Oosterdam cruise next year and it includes beverage package, $200pp shore excursions credit, WiFi for 2 and 2 specialty dining for 2 for a total value of $1386 in perks. The SS cost with have it all was $500pp more than without so for us it is worth doing. At the time we booked Have it all included gratuities but it is not included for new bookings now, that gives us even more value.

Congrats!  See as I have been saying- people do have a choice.  It just might not be Celebrity.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, terrydtx said:

• WI-FI for guests 1 & 2

However, Celebrity seems to want to compete in a higher class than HAL, more like Crystal.  A Crystal cruise always includes drinks, tips, wi-fi and specialty dining.  IMHO, the management at Celebrity might prefer to be thought of as a competing with Crystal than with HAL.  That is why they are moving toward including AL in nearly all fares instead of making it optional, as it is at HAL.

Edited by actuarian
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, the penguins said:

I will rephrase. No other major cruise line that I can find has has changed it's price structure. All Inclusives are still All Inclusives. Others are still basic plus options. Celebrity are now Always Included (not All Inclusive) and in most cases except in guarantee cabins on limited routes with no options.

I think the reason CelebrityCruises have gone to AI is because Azamara have been sold, so no longer under the RCG umbrella. They had the AI pricing structure. 
We have only sailed Azamara once due to being more expensive, but I really liked the product.