Is the Captain's club dead?

maxsales

Every one is different on what they like. I prefer the AI pricing. Today I priced out an RCI and X cruise to get an average “per day” price. By the time that I added on the internet, gratuities and the drink package to the RCI cruise it was $55.00 per day more expensive and RCI is not on the same level as X IMHO. I once again booked X. 

I could travel on RCI and use the suite/Diamond/D+ lounges or vouchers for drinks but I detest those lounges. Won’t use them on X either so for us the drink package works better. Again, someone here who likes the current setup. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

Discounts are tiny and the drinks one is useless for anyone who doesn't drink alcohol.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

All true but most useless for anyone who doesn’t drink alcohol.

Most items in the breakfast can be found in other venues, but yes we enjoy the atmosphere in Tuscan.

The cabin upgrade when available is worth about £50.

AI has destroyed all the major benefits.

+ 1 

I guess this isn't the time or place to mention that Celebrity currently has a program to offer certain customers who are loyalty members of another cruise line and haven't sailed with Celebrity within the past 3 years some of the CC Elite benefits like the free bag of laundry, 90 minutes of internet (or 30% package discount), free port day Persian Garden pass, etc.....

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I guess this isn't the time or place to mention that Celebrity currently has a program to offer certain customers who are loyalty members of another cruise line and haven't sailed with Celebrity within the past 3 years some of the CC Elite benefits like the free bag of laundry, 90 minutes of internet (or 30% package discount), free port day Persian Garden pass, etc.....

MSC offers a match e,g. Elite Plus against their equivalent  for all first time cruisers, just apply before you book.

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Every one is different on what they like. I prefer the AI pricing. Today I priced out an RCI and X cruise to get an average “per day” price. By the time that I added on the internet, gratuities and the drink package to the RCI cruise it was $55.00 per day more expensive and RCI is not on the same level as X IMHO. I once again booked X. 

I could travel on RCI and use the suite/Diamond/D+ lounges or vouchers for drinks but I detest those lounges. Won’t use them on X either so for us the drink package works better. Again, someone here who likes the current setup. 

But do you object to us having the choice?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Would you be favorable to gratuities always being included in the base fare if you had the option of opting in for the classic beverage package and unlimited internet? I would definitely be in favor of that scenario.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Would you be favorable to gratuities always being included in the base fare if you had the option of opting in for the classic beverage package and unlimited internet? I would definitely be in favor of that scenario.

That's my preferred option to. Just tell Celebrity.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Well, the argument for those who do not drink or can find the same food in other venues, cabin upgrades not of value, discounts minuscule and etc..., I wonder the reason some of us continue to sail on X who are E and E+ if no value/reward for sailing X all these years are not there any longer?

Will someone chime in to enlighten me on this?

bon voyage

I can give you my own perspective.  While I am disappointed that my Elite Plus perks are worth virtually nothing these days (other than the laundry, which I do value), I really love the onboard experience on Celebrity and as long as the overall general value remains I will continue to sail with them.  I think they are superior in service, food quality, general ambiance, etc..   Not having extra perks will not impact my desire to sail Celebrity as long as those things remain.  At the same time, it does frustrate me that my loyalty means little to them anymore.  That's an emotion, admittedly, but also one based on fact. Let's face it - losing a benefit (or in this case multiple benefits) tends to bother people more so than had they never had the benefit to begin with. However, once I board the ship, I don't pay any attention to that frustration as I enjoy my cruise.   You are therefore enlightened 🙂, at least from my individual perspective. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, maxsales said:

Other than the Zenith category is there really any value in the Captain's club?  With most cruises now being AI the free drinks are valueless and if you are Elite+ the Al Bacchio benefit is gone.  The wireless benefit is no longer needed so I guess the only thing remaining is laundry.

Anyone else think Celebrity should revise their loyalty program?

OH NO ANOTHER ONE😟

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Things must have changed. In the past, the only lines they did this for was their sister lines, RCL and Azamara. I think they sold Azamara so that just leaves RCL.

27 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Things must have changed. In the past, the only lines they did this for was their sister lines, RCL and Azamara. I think they sold Azamara so that just leaves RCL.

I am talking about customers from, say, Carnival and NCL. 

So more than a few posts stated AI isn’t good for non-drinkers, then go on to say how their CC Happy Hr benefits are useless due to AI…….not sure how that works. If you don’t drink the CC Happy Hr has always been useless to you, so what is the point? It’s best to speak, well post, for yourself and quit saying how it adversely impacts others, which you have no idea how they feel. 

I’m Elite+, and just as I posted on the 145 other threads bemoaning this same thing: yes, my goodies are reduced. But now I have wifi throughout the cruise, and I do use it; I can now have a drink prior to 5pm (been known to do that); I can have a glass of wine with dinner (been known to do that); I can have a drink after Elite HR is over (been known to do that). Kind of like the other 2,456 other passengers. And since I usually dine main dining hrs, Elite HR was only good for a hr and it was bit embarrassing running from bar to bar downing as many drinks as I could in an hr!!

By the way, the reason I’m Elite+ isn’t because I went on X cruises in order to reach a set CC level, it was (and is at this time) meeting what I look for in my cruising experiences. When and if it doesn’t, I’ll move over to another Line as my prime Line to look to. But AI’s impact on CC benefits isn’t an issue……for me.

Enough. I’ll just keep on cruising on X and other Lines I find interesting as I’m doing next year, and I’ll let others complain they don’t like AI because of the cost increase and they don’t drink…..and then complain AI negates the Elite HR. One good way to look at it is, it extends Elite HR throughout the cruise……and includes (most) everybody! 

And please, no more English lessons on what posters think AI really means and what they think it should be called…..and All the examples of what is should be called were terrible. 

By the way, if anyone thought they were somehow getting those Elite, Elite+ and Zenith benefits ‘free’….you weren’t. X increased the costs to everyone to give us those benefits. 

Den

• Like 8

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

I don't have an issue with choice, but there seems to be quite a few that are against AI that seem to have an issue with those of us that prefer it. When I'm on vacation I don't want to monitor my spending on drinks or whether it's happy hour. As for internet connectivity, with elderly parents and in my line of work it's a benefit to have. As for that gratuities, personally I'd rather they just raised the price to cover their value. That way, if I want to show appreciation of extraordinary service it is more meaningful.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maxsales said:

Other than the Zenith category is there really any value in the Captain's club?  With most cruises now being AI the free drinks are valueless and if you are Elite+ the Al Bacchio benefit is gone.  The wireless benefit is no longer needed so I guess the only thing remaining is laundry.

Priority tendering at tender ports. You may be singing a different tune if you were to book a cruise where AI isn't offered. Or if AI is done away with. 

7 hours ago, maxsales said:

Priority tendering at tender ports. You may be singing a different tune if you were to book a cruise where AI isn't offered. Or if AI is done away with. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

And I really miss All In The Family on my B&W TV, just not fair.

5 hours ago, marieps said:

Have you sailed Azamara before, TB?

No, I haven't, but everything I read is positive.  I just can't wait to sail in the Suez in one of those aft cabins.  Unfortunately they moved that cruise to 2023 but we still have the Norwegian Fjords to look forward to next year.

• Like 1

Just now, TeaBag said:

No, I haven't, but everything I read is positive.  I just can't wait to sail in the Suez in one of those aft cabins.  Unfortunately they moved that cruise to 2023 but we still have the Norwegian Fjords to look forward to next year.

I only ask because they have R class ships.  Most cabins have very small bathrooms...much smaller than you may be used to on =X=.  If you are a suite passenger it's likely not an issue.   Overall I too hear the cruise is excellent.  I feel the same about Oceania, but we were in a Concierge Class room on O's  Regatta, which is R class.    We wouldn't do an R class again without a PH (sky suite equivalent on =X=).  

8 hours ago, upwarduk said:

1) One category upgrade for Elite & above. 2C price for 2B cabin.

49535333-5E56-4E92-B078-DF5E2601F7DB.thumb.jpeg.9712379ecb44809650ce60ba3da66479.jpeg

Photo is of a partially obstructed 2C balcony.

2)Elite breakfast.

F2BEBDCD-0789-4F11-AD61-47AD1877711F.thumb.jpeg.e435c7c01e892877f36a6b3881d22ea4.jpeg

3) Some Premium drinks on the Happy Hour menu for Elite and above.

An advantage if you are on the Classic package.

395C3741-F2F2-416F-89D4-7F55D7EC7E27.jpeg

4)Free wine tasting for Elite and above ( usual price $35p.p)

99097730-3FEC-4661-B7D1-0DD35AF17DE1.thumb.jpeg.6ec941a99b10277ab14bfb9e0368f4d6.jpeg

The one class category upgrade is available to anyone who has cruises Celebrity at least once. It’s not just for Elite and above

• Like 1

I really don´t care if i get my special tea in Al Bacio because  I am Elite + or because it is now all included. They ( X) should provide their customer with the choice of all included or a " just cruise"- price. So their loyal customers - as I am - have a choice and can benefit from their Captains Club benefits- earned with spending hard dollars during the years of beeing loyal to X.

The priority boarding is one thing I really enjoy - also the laundry - and those are still in tact.

So in answer to the topic- " Is the Captains Club dead?" No not dead by ailing! LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1