Is the Captain's club dead?

maxsales

The AI bundle is important to me because I much preferred bottled water to the ships desalinated drinking water.  The only specific benefits that we use from our Elite+ status is the laundry and the wine tasting and discount on specialty dining.  I do miss the temporary (I hope) loss of the cocktail hour with appetizers in the Observation Lounge.

• Thanks 1

Most of the comments regarding Captain's Club are regarding the regular benefits.. There are other benefits such as the Galapagos promotion that (sorry) just ended:

As one of our valued Captain’s Club members at the Elite tier or above, you can save $1,000 on ocean view staterooms and $1,500 on suites when booking their Galapagos Island vacation by 10/31/21.*

Some promos might not be combinable with AI (which makes no sense to me), but these savings can be significant and clearly vary by tier. My interest in Captain's Club is increased by these offers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

Where are all the non suite and Retreat CC members posts? If you can afford suites and Retreat cabins why worry about Captains club benefits?

Being a little judgy aren't you? Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm one of the "non suite & Retreat" CC member. My one and only suite cruise is more than a year away and a splurge for our 20th wedding anniversary. My opinion isn't based on what type of cabin I sail it, it's based purely on what I believe is the best value for us.

In my eyes this "AI controversy" is no different than in the past when people were complaining about the 2, 3 or 4 "free" perks promo based on how much more you paid, or how certain areas were converted to be exclusive to suite guests (Michael's club used to be a cigar lounge available to everyone).

The reality is the cruise industry is changing and X needs to make the changes that will attract the largest cohort with the most disposable income and right now that cohort isn't seniors (of which I'll soon be one). We may have money to spend, but our numbers are dwindling.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

Being a little judgy aren't you? Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm one of the "non suite & Retreat" CC member. My one and only suite cruise is more than a year away and a splurge for our 20th wedding anniversary. My opinion isn't based on what type of cabin I sail it, it's based purely on what I believe is the best value for us.

In my eyes this "AI controversy" is no different than in the past when people were complaining about the 2, 3 or 4 "free" perks promo based on how much more you paid, or how certain areas were converted to be exclusive to suite guests (Michael's club used to be a cigar lounge available to everyone).

The reality is the cruise industry is changing and X needs to make the changes that will attract the largest cohort with the most disposable income and right now that cohort isn't seniors (of which I'll soon be one). We may have money to spend, but our numbers are dwindling.

How being judgy???  Offering their opinion.

53 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

How being judgy???  Offering their opinion.

"If you can afford suites and Retreat cabins why worry about Captains club benefits?" to me indicates that he believes that the opinion of those that can afford a suite isn't relevant nor should it be considered on this topic. Am I being judgy? Yup, but at least I provide context on why I have the opinion I have.

19 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

"If you can afford suites and Retreat cabins why worry about Captains club benefits?" to me indicates that he believes that the opinion of those that can afford a suite isn't relevant nor should it be considered on this topic. Am I being judgy? Yup, but at least I provide context on why I have the opinion I have.

It's possible you may have missed the poster's intent.  Especially depending upon the suite booked, the suite benefits are a partial or superset of the CC benefits.  We are E+, but offhand, I can think of little not covered by our suite perks, plus a bunch.  So our E+ status isn't as useful as it would be if we're in one of our favorite FV cabins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chemmo said:

at least Celebrity would be trying to pass on the message ‘We value your loyalty’…

eXactly.  

Also, just like @phoenix_dream, we choose X because of the product - we love the onboard experience.  However, loyalty should be worth something (recognized, valued, acknowledged, etc.)

Heck! why not increase the one free scoop of gelato to 2 scoops 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, canderson said:

It's possible you may have missed the poster's intent.  Especially depending upon the suite booked, the suite benefits are a partial or superset of the CC benefits.  We are E+, but offhand, I can think of little not covered by our suite perks, plus a bunch.  So our E+ status isn't as useful as it would be if we're in one of our favorite FV cabins.

I don't I believe I have. He said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "If you can afford a suite, you shouldn't be worried about the CC benefits" which to me means that if you're someone that can afford a suite your  opinion on this topic doesn't matter.

I guess we can just agree to disagree.

22 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

I guess we can just agree to disagree.

I suppose so, but there's certainly a reason to say that CC benefits, or lack of them, impact suite passengers far less than others.  If traveling in a suite, the practical difference just isn't as apparent.  Once you get past a CS, even the remaining laundry perk becomes altogether irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

I suppose so, but there's certainly a reason to say that CC benefits, or lack of them, impact suite passengers far less than others.  If traveling in a suite, the practical difference just isn't as apparent.  Once you get past a CS, even the remaining laundry perk becomes altogether irrelevant.

Of course the impact would be the same if X let you book a suite without a drinks package.

Biggest impact is on Zenith who used to get a free classic drinks package and free internet..

6 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

eXactly.  

Also, just like @phoenix_dream, we choose X because of the product - we love the onboard experience.  However, loyalty should be worth something (recognized, valued, acknowledged, etc.)

Heck! why not increase the one free scoop of gelato to 2 scoops 🤣

You know one think I think Celebrity really misses out on doing is ‘Celebrating Milestones’. I am not suggesting anything that would particularly cost much but why not hold events for new Elite, new Elite+ guests…

For example, a champagne helipad sail away for all those cruising for the first time as Elite…

An evening champagne reception attended by some senior staff for all those cruising first time as E+.

Next to no cost, only needing a bit of organising but we would have welcomed celebrating these milestones. Too late for us now, we are E+ with no chance of Zenith!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

Very well said. I don't drink to get drunk but out of curiosity I once kept track on how much I actually drank in a day. On a port day depending on when we got back to the ship easily 1 or 2 before dinner, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, add another drink while enjoying the show and a couple of martini's afterwards, so easily 6 or 7 and that's not including sparkling water. On a sea day I can easily add at least 2 or 3 beers by the pool. Good thing we don't cruise too often, because 7 days at that clip is a heck of a lot more than I drink the entire rest of the year. Hmmm.... maybe I should be looking into AA 😄

But all kidding aside, like you I pick to cruise X because I enjoy the complete package, not because of the "perks" a particular CC level entitles me to.

A few cruises ago we also did the ‘drinks monitoring’ and  were surprised! Not only did our drinking start at breakfast with a Bellini, it ‘dribbled’ on all day! A cocktail (or two) by the pool, sangria with lunch, pre dinner drinks, wine with dinner, post dinner drinks, a last cognac on the balcony….

As you say it is perhaps as well we don’t cruise that often!!

I do understand that for many the E drinks is all they need but I must confess we would not like to cruise without a package now. In our pre package days we would choose our wines ‘conservatively’ picking things we knew we would like, now we experiment. Likewise with cocktails…Also nice to board knowing there are no bills at the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, the penguins said:

the point is that there is no choice. If AI was optional you would be 100% correct, but unless you book a guarantee cabin on a limited number of routes it's AI or nothing. 

Well there is a choice.  If AI is unacceptable there are many other cruise lines out there.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

For example, a champagne helipad sail away for all those cruising for the first time as Elite…

An evening champagne reception attended by some senior staff for all those cruising first time as E+.

That's not going to fly.  Helipad events already are scheduled for just about every sailaway (some for Elite & above, some for Retreat guests, etc.)  Officers' time is limited and valuable (regardless of what some may believe), and they already have a number of evenings scheduled for one thing or another, as well.  In any case, Celebrity (and other lines) get a lot more bang for their buck by holding those events for all guests of a certain level (and above), rather than only for the handful that are cruising for the first time at that level.

Royal Caribbean gives you a pin when you reach a level.  I suppose they could do something like that.  However, very few (very, very few) give a flip about that pin.  The exception are some Pinnacle cruisers.  That's big ol', honkin' thing really puts the PIN in PINNACLE.

• Haha 1

So the arguments of this and the other tons of AI threads are:

1. I don't use most of the AI options so why should I pay for them. Response: don't and cruise on another Line; pick an X cruise/SR option without AI; do go with AI and accept just as most others that you aren't getting all the 'benefits' you absolutely could.

Example: I don't use the loyalty photo benefits and that is a separate business entity from X, so I'd assume X has to pay them for the loyalty benefits, and X doesn't eat that cost, they pass it on to all passengers in increased SR costs. So I, along with everyone else, am paying for that loyalty benefit and I don't use it. And before you respond, yes but that is relatively minor cost, its just an example of not using a 'benefit' I actually pay for....and I'm Not complaining!!

2. I'm an Elite/Elite+/Zenith/Suite(r) and I already have much of (or more than) the AI benefits 'free': you don't get them 'free'. You and all others have paid for your CC benefits. You are now paying for AI increased goodies and for others to enjoy them; the CC benefits are more limited than AI. Since you apparently have a drink during CC HR, you can now enjoy a few more (or 10 more) throughout the day instead of the relatively limited HR. Plus AI unlimited WiFi and then you get the other loyalty benefits still available. You can also follow the #1 options above.

3. Why doesn't X increase the loyalty benefits: because AI isn't forever (most likely). If X increased loyalty options then when they stopped AI, they are stuck with the new loyalty benefits because instead of 145 threads complaining about AI, they'd have 1,487 (maybe 1,488!) threads screaming about the loyalty reductions. 

4. X is a business. You don't get to decide what price they charge for what you want and require they add whatever benefits you think you deserve. You have options. Use them and quit using CruiseCritic to complain To X and contact them directly......I'm sure the poor people on the X phoneline will appreciate that (if you can get through!) .

Personally, I think the complaint single cruisers have are good arguments on their very high costs, and I don't cruise single.

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

That's not going to fly.  Helipad events already are scheduled for just about every sailaway (some for Elite & above, some for Retreat guests, etc.)  Officers' time is limited and valuable (regardless of what some may believe), and they already have a number of evenings scheduled for one thing or another, as well.  In any case, Celebrity (and other lines) get a lot more bang for their buck by holding those events for all guests of a certain level (and above), rather than only for the handful that are cruising for the first time at that level.

Royal Caribbean gives you a pin when you reach a level.  I suppose they could do something like that.  However, very few (very, very few) give a flip about that pin.  The exception are some Pinnacle cruisers.  That's big ol', honkin' thing really puts the PIN in PINNACLE.

When we payed to join the Captains Club in 1994 one of many little gifts were CC pins. They are in a drawer with our RC pins. We appreciate getting the pins but elect not to wear them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I was trying to give some ‘possibilities’ others may be better, more doable…just saying that many, as they reach a milestone cruise, may enjoy a celebration….

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, davekathy said:

When we payed to join the Captains Club in 1994 one of many little gifts were CC pins. They are in a drawer with our RC pins. We appreciate getting the pins but elect not to wear them. 

I still wear mine on board for certain occasions.  We also will bring our Cruise Critic pins which were handed out years ago.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:01 PM, TeaBag said:

No, I haven't, but everything I read is positive.  I just can't wait to sail in the Suez in one of those aft cabins.  Unfortunately they moved that cruise to 2023 but we still have the Norwegian Fjords to look forward to next year.

My second Azamara cruise was cancelled and rescheduled 4 times, and now it is in June 2023 (if it happens at all, and if it is without "new" restrictions of any kind by that time - I stopped holding my breath by now... whatever).  My next cruise (since my last one in March 8-24, 2020) is in June 2022 on Ponant (again, I even don't know whether it will be restrictions free) - over 2 years.

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

Of course the impact would be the same if X let you book a suite without a drinks package.

Biggest impact is on Zenith who used to get a free classic drinks package and free internet..

In the interest of accuracy, Zenith loyalty level members receive the premium beverage package.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 5:38 PM, Bo1953 said:

Well, the argument for those who do not drink or can find the same food in other venues, cabin upgrades not of value, discounts minuscule and etc..., I wonder the reason some of us continue to sail on X who are E and E+ if no value/reward for sailing X all these years are not there any longer?

Will someone chime in to enlighten me on this?

bon voyage

Hi Bo

i just sail with celebrity because I just love the experience

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1