Is the Captain's club dead?

maxsales

I just booked the Apex and I'm Elite status.  I booked cruise only, no AI so I will certainly take advantage of my Captain's Club benefits ... especially the nightly cocktails and the internet.  So my understanding is that I receive 90 minutes of free streaming internet, and 30% off packages and upgrades.  When I go to planner information my cruise I only see two internet packages offered, and I don't see the 30% discount.  Am I missing something?  Can these only be booked onboard to get the 30% discount?   Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 10.48.21 PM.png

9 hours ago, eroller said:

I just booked the Apex and I'm Elite status.  I booked cruise only, no AI so I will certainly take advantage of my Captain's Club benefits ... especially the nightly cocktails and the internet.  So my understanding is that I receive 90 minutes of free streaming internet, and 30% off packages and upgrades.  When I go to planner information my cruise I only see two internet packages offered, and I don't see the 30% discount.  Am I missing something?  Can these only be booked onboard to get the 30% discount?   Thanks! 

In the past when I upgraded, it was always on board when I was logging in.  It is possible that the policy has changed, but the benefit was not 250 minutes and a discount.  It was a discount to upgrade to the unlimited instead of the 250 minutes.  So you might want to be careful.  We would usually only upgrade one of us  use the 250 minutes for the second person.  This usually lasted because we only used the minutes when it was necessary for both of us to be on line at the same time.  

if you do not receive a definitive answer here, I suggest you call the Captain Club and inquire.  

10 hours ago, eroller said:

Sailed on the Edge in July and the Equinox in Oct-Nov, both gave you the discount on board.  No idea how to find out if this is ship specific or fleet wide.  Furthermore, the rates are broken down by day, since most ships leave around dinner time and most will have reception for at least another hour after the sail away, can save a tick if you want to buy the next day.  Furthermore, if day 2 is a port day, there's probably a bar/restaurant/coffee shop you can visit with free wifi.  The iLounge (requires an in person visit) was also offering a 24 hour streaming pass for $49.99.

On 11/13/2021 at 8:55 AM, TeeRick said:

Sorry to see you had cabin issues on Connie.  As a frequent cruiser I have occasionally run into cabin (mostly bathroom) issues.  On multiple ships.  In suites too. Maybe more on older ships.   It happens and it usually gets resolved quickly.  Guest Services should definitely follow up.   But what does this actually have to do with Captain's Club or brand loyalty?  Not sure I understand.

While I don’t remember the ships, I’ve had more than a couple of cabin issues, on all cruise lines.  Most common is the toilet not flushing because it can’t generate enough suction.  Had an issue where the A/C didn’t work on one cruise and they ended up changing my cabin.  My most recent NCL cruise (last month) I had a noise issue.  It was a constant rhythmic “thumping”.  They sent security, and maintenance.  None of them could figure out what it was.  They ended up moving me and giving me $100 OBC for the trouble.

Fact is, issues arise.  As long and they’re addressed, I am understanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

While I don’t remember the ships, I’ve had more than a couple of cabin issues, on all cruise lines.  Most common is the toilet not flushing because it can’t generate enough suction.  Had an issue where the A/C didn’t work on one cruise and they ended up changing my cabin.  My most recent NCL cruise (last month) I had a noise issue.  It was a constant rhythmic “thumping”.  They sent security, and maintenance.  None of them could figure out what it was.  They ended up moving me and giving me $100 OBC for the trouble.

Fact is, issues arise.  As long and they’re addressed, I am understanding.

Don't you just hate it when the toilet does not suck?  It has happened to me on multiple ships and cabins.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

In the past when I upgraded, it was always on board when I was logging in.  It is possible that the policy has changed, but the benefit was not 250 minutes and a discount.  It was a discount to upgrade to the unlimited instead of the 250 minutes.  So you might want to be careful.  We would usually only upgrade one of us  use the 250 minutes for the second person.  This usually lasted because we only used the minutes when it was necessary for both of us to be on line at the same time.  

if you do not receive a definitive answer here, I suggest you call the Captain Club and inquire.  

Thanks.  According to the benefit chart on Celebrity's website for Captain's Club, the internet benefit for Elite is 90 free minutes and 30% discount off internet packages and upgrades.  Attached is a screen shot from the benefits chart.  Elite Plus receives 240 complimentary minutes and a 35% discount, but I'm only Elite.  Haven't made the "plus" yet.  

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 11.09.45 AM.png

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sailed on the Edge in July and the Equinox in Oct-Nov, both gave you the discount on board.  No idea how to find out if this is ship specific or fleet wide.  Furthermore, the rates are broken down by day, since most ships leave around dinner time and most will have reception for at least another hour after the sail away, can save a tick if you want to buy the next day.  Furthermore, if day 2 is a port day, there's probably a bar/restaurant/coffee shop you can visit with free wifi.  The iLounge (requires an in person visit) was also offering a 24 hour streaming pass for $49.99.

Good to know thank you.  Tomorrow I may just call the Captain's Club to confirm the discount only applies to purchasing or upgrading the internet while onboard.  Thank you.  

On 11/13/2021 at 12:18 PM, cdn_tbird said:

The experience you described should NEVER have happened to anyone regardless of whether you're a loyal customer or a first timer. IMHO, this isn't a loyalty issue, it's a customer service issue that you should be escalating to head office.

I think it's a safe bet that had you had this experience on your first X cruise, it could have very well been your last X cruise.

While it's important to try and keep loyal customers happy, the reality is that attracting new customers is vital to any company's survival and growth which means that companies will continually evolve their product and some of those changes will make some of the loyalty benefits less valuable.

I agree this should never happen to anyone and that it is a service issue but I also see it as a loyalty issue.

Agree - if this had been my first experience with Celebrity it would be my last. Likewise this experience, because I feel my loyalty has been taken for granted,  has prompted me to start looking into other cruise lines - something I have not done in years. 

Yes, this is going to be escalated to the corporate office. We have reached out to our travel agent to let them know of the experience and to get contact information for executives at Celebrity in order to address this in the proper manner. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RollWave said:

I agree this should never happen to anyone and that it is a service issue but I also see it as a loyalty issue.

Agree - if this had been my first experience with Celebrity it would be my last. Likewise this experience, because I feel my loyalty has been taken for granted,  has prompted me to start looking into other cruise lines - something I have not done in years. 

Yes, this is going to be escalated to the corporate office. We have reached out to our travel agent to let them know of the experience and to get contact information for executives at Celebrity in order to address this in the proper manner. 

Please let us know how things go. 

11 hours ago, eroller said:

Thanks.  According to the benefit chart on Celebrity's website for Captain's Club, the internet benefit for Elite is 90 free minutes and 30% discount off internet packages and upgrades.  Attached is a screen shot from the benefits chart.  Elite Plus receives 240 complimentary minutes and a 35% discount, but I'm only Elite.  Haven't made the "plus" yet.  

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 11.09.45 AM.png

When you call you will find out for sure.  I think it means the minutes or the discount.  It does not mean use up your minutes and then purchase a discounted package, but it might be worth the risk.  As I mentioned this is how it worked for me in the past.  It has been awhile, since I usually have the unlimited with my booking.

This is from the what is currently shown in the Celebrity site:  I would not be surprised if some people have been able to use of the free minutes and then later get an a discount for an additional new package, but it might be a risk.  The only upgrade worth getting IMO would be unlimited streaming.  

Best of luck.  

7D7C5C66-7B70-4E66-9C8E-3ABD24554151.png

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

When you call you will find out for sure.  I think it means the minutes or the discount.  It does not mean use up your minutes and then purchase a discounted package, but it might be worth the risk.  As I mentioned this is how it worked for me in the past.  It has been awhile, since I usually have the unlimited with my booking.

This is from the what is currently shown in the Celebrity site:  I would not be surprised if some people have been able to use of the free minutes and then later get an a discount for an additional new package, but it might be a risk.  The only upgrade worth getting IMO would be unlimited streaming.  

Best of luck.  

7D7C5C66-7B70-4E66-9C8E-3ABD24554151.png

Yup I saw that list and it doesn't even show the 90 free minutes you receive.  Only the chart does which I also found on the website.  My goal is unlimited surf internet.  I don't plan on streaming anything and I don't want to have to watch minutes.  I would rather be always connected.  I'll post what they say tomorrow when I call.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eroller said:

Yup I saw that list and it doesn't even show the 90 free minutes you receive.  Only the chart does which I also found on the website.  My goal is unlimited surf internet.  I don't plan on streaming anything and I don't want to have to watch minutes.  I would rather be always connected.  I'll post what they say tomorrow when I call.  

I believe you get the minutes and the discount. Celebrity says this on their site (https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/program-changes) :

If you do not sail with Always Included, you can apply the 10% - 35% discount to any internet package. And if you book pre-cruise, your discount is combinable with the additional 10% pre-cruise advantage.  Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios.

(The scenario I did not show was sailing with AI.)

And note they indicate the 10% pre-cruise discount is combinable.

9 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

I believe you get the minutes and the discount. Celebrity says this on their site (https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/program-changes) :

If you do not sail with Always Included, you can apply the 10% - 35% discount to any internet package. And if you book pre-cruise, your discount is combinable with the additional 10% pre-cruise advantage.  Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively in both scenarios.

(The scenario I did not show was sailing with AI.)

And note they indicate the 10% pre-cruise discount is combinable.

It certainly says that you can combine the two discounts to get the unlimited plan and then have 90 minutes (for Elite) of streaming.  My experience was when Celebrity was offering minute, day, and unlimited packages and only one type of internet.

erooler should be able to get both based on this document.  Both meaning the discount for the slower unlimited with 90 minutes of the streaming minutes.  Based on my recent Apex experience, I am not sure how good the standard internal will be.  The Streaming one was very slow.

1 hour ago, jamon said:

Just read on here that someone stated that being Elite, can get you a discount in Speciality restaurants...has anyone received this and what was discount and how to get it....

Elite Plus and above get the specialty restaurant 15% discount.

Edited by mahdnc

16 hours ago, RollWave said:

Did you ever tell just what this horrible experience was? I missed that. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Did you ever tell just what this horrible experience was? I missed that. 

Yes. A few of the highlights... of our Aqua Class cabin.

Brown & orange water that came out of the sink faucet and it was chunky with debris. It left a film in the sink bowl. This resolved toward the end of the first day but did not make us feel comfortable using the water in the cabin.  The door to the cabin did not work properly to get in and would not lock from the inside (this was fixed on day 2). There was an electrical issue in the cabin - a short that caused the two nightstand table lamps to not work (fixed on day 2). To get the hot water to run in the shower the instructions from our cabin steward, as relayed to him from management, run the water turned to hot in the sink and the shower at the same time for a few minutes. The sheer curtain across the sliding door was missing and the black out curtain had a few hooks missing so it did not close completely. The interactive TV was not working nor was the APP for the billing portion so the way to see the cabin invoice was by waiting in line at guest service for a print out. The wifi did not work in the room. The cabin was very old, worn and tired - sagging burgundy couch, old carpet, the old beige formica nightstands and desk. It looked like an original cabin. 

It seemed like folks around us were not happy either. We over heard a few times - this is the worst ship we have ever been on. Our cabin steward (a very nice guy who was working hard) said... please do not judge my work and my job by the condition and maintenance of the cabin.

There is more just do not feel like rehashing. I have been in touch with our travel agent. I have sent an email to the celebrity email. I am going to mail a copy of the email with a letter to Celebrity senior management. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 9:47 PM, cdn_tbird said:

Please let us know how things go. 

Thus far no response from Celebrity. It has been three weeks and I have emailed them 2-3 times per week.

On the Constellation sailing we used a TA that we do not normally use. They said they reached out and they gave us a different email to use.

We just cancelled our December 9th Millenium sailing. The Millenium sailing and our January Edge sailing are booked with our usual TA. She has been very helpful - instructed me to keep emailing. She said that Celebrity is very difficult to reach but eventually they will respond.  She also said she would do what she could with the Millenium sailing in terms of possibly getting a refund, but it would most likely be a FCC. She confirmed that the Constellation experience was unacceptable. 

We will go on the Edge sailing. We may use the FCC. We are definitely researching other cruise lines to spend our time and money with for future cruise travel. We have a very long bucket list and are recent empty nesters!