"All guests are required to overnight aboard ship"

shaolincrane

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

They were required to be back onboard at a certain time so the ship could pull back out to sea. Always a few who would have preferred to stay later and sit on the beach drinking. 

We cant know why carnival said this, but they make the rules so it is what it is. Carnival sets the all back onboard time. 

I'm sure if Carnival would officially allow it, there are people who would happily sleep on a beach lounger all night in the open. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

I'm sure if Carnival would officially allow it, there are people who would happily sleep on a beach lounger all night in the open. 🙂

The same people who would sleep on a lounger on their balcony.  EM

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Cabo often has high winds which keeps ships from anchoring there. That was always the reason given that if you stayed overnight you assumed the risk of missing the ship the next day. OP, you'll need passports to fly back to the U.S. from Cabo or else you are in for one ugly parade of red tape.

I don't ever leave the country without a passport anyhow.

22 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Are you sure your travel insurance will cover the cost of the hotel?

Yes.

20 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

This past Alaska season the Majestic Princess had to stay overnight at Seattle's Pier 91 due to severe storm conditions off the WA and BC coast..  Passengers were notified of this change when they arrived at embarkation. All passengers still arrived in time for what they thought was a 4 PM sailing.  They were also informed that once onboard that they could not leave the ship.

With all the passengers safely on the ship by 4 PM, the shoreside staff were able to go home.  Having all the passengers onboard gave some flexibility to the captain and bridge crew to be able to sail when there was a break in the weather (and coordinating with a small number of longshore and picking up the local pilot).  The ship sailed at about 6 AM the next morning.

Cruise lines have very good reasons if they are  requiring passengers to stay onboard overnight. Having passengers all onboard just makes it easy and efficient for the ship to sail when they need to.  I hope that you don't disregard this directive and potentially get left behind.

I won't know the specific directive until we board, just like this example.

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I think it's doubtful, since they are already covering the cost of accommodations that night for your, you know, cruise cabin.  And it would hardly be worth the paperwork hassle to try for $70. 

I personally would:

1. Keep the res

2. Go check in as early as possible on day 1 in Cabo

3. Use the room as a day room and enjoy the resort

4. Go back to the ship on the last shuttle for the night

5. Go back to the room on the first shuttle next morning

6. Spend the last 3-5 hours until checkout time again using it as a day room and enjoying the resort.

For $70 you could probably not get 2 shore excursions to a place like that.

There's not really a ton of paperwork, it's through my travel CC and fairly painless and I have used it in similar situations. It's worth a few emails for the $100 after taxes and fees. Might as well take advantage of all my card features.

This was one of the options I discussed with my wife. It's definitely worth it for the private beach because the public beach is non stop harassment. I'm totally fine with this but it's her bday and she obviously wants the opportunity to stay the night if possible since it's her first visit.

28 minutes ago, shaolincrane said:

Yes.

There's not really a ton of paperwork, it's through my travel CC and fairly painless and I have used it in similar situations. It's worth a few emails for the $100 after taxes and fees. Might as well take advantage of all my card features.

This was one of the options I discussed with my wife. It's definitely worth it for the private beach because the public beach is non stop harassment. I'm totally fine with this but it's her bday and she obviously wants the opportunity to stay the night if possible since it's her first visit.

Thank you to all who helped this new member!  🙂 

5 hours ago, shaolincrane said:

Yes.

Ok so I Was planning the exact same thing with the exact same hotel. I saw the 5 boarding time and was going to call. I will use the resort I think as suggested either way. Please come back on and let me know what you ended up doing or being allowed to do. I was also disappointed with the not really an overnight. I am on December 29th.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:19 PM, sanmarcosman said:

Cabo often has high winds which keeps ships from anchoring there. That was always the reason given that if you stayed overnight you assumed the risk of missing the ship the next day. OP, you'll need passports to fly back to the U.S. from Cabo or else you are in for one ugly parade of red tape.

Just how bad and ugly is it?

12 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Ok so I Was planning the exact same thing with the exact same hotel. I saw the 5 boarding time and was going to call. I will use the resort I think as suggested either way. Please come back on and let me know what you ended up doing or being allowed to do. I was also disappointed with the not really an overnight. I am on December 29th.

I will certainly do that.

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Just how bad and ugly is it?

From what I gathered from friends that have gone through it, in Mexico it's slightly better than say if you were in Europe. You show up to the airport about 6 hours early while they Subject you to a background check, fingerprinting, an exhausrive search of your belongings, a few rounds of photographs, and paperwork that can be digitally transferred to the embassy using your ID documents. You might do the whole process 3-4 times depending on their attitude for the day.

If you were flying from an Asian/European country it's the same deal but also requires a trip to the embassy with all the same steps as the airport to get a temporary passport but you're stuck there for days/weeks until it's finished and it's definitely not cheap. The airport will see the temporary passport and likely make you go through the whole parade again so they can cover themselves. 

On 11/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, crewsweeper said:

Sorry to hear that.  There's been gang/cartel related incidents in Cabo of late especially after dark.  So I'd say Carnival is just protecting passengers.  Better to miss out on a hotel stay than risk your life.

I was in Cabo in July, and everything shuts down at 10! Even the hotels where you stay! So it might be better and livelier to get back on the ship! Also was there 2 weeks ago, but that was on a cruise, so IDK what the current status is.

• Like 2

It is absolutely in the ticket contract

(d) Guest agrees, in all ports of call, to return to the Vessel or pre-boarding location in accordance with instructions given by the Vessel’s Master or his authorized officer and in accordance with Carnival’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols. Guest further acknowledges that shipboard and shore side clocks may have different times, but it is Guest’s responsibility to return to the Vessel or pre-boarding location so as not to miss Vessel’s departure. Any costs associated with transporting Guest to rejoin the Vessel including, but not limited to, governmental fees, visa fees, subsistence, lodging, air fare, launch fare, car hire or agency fees shall be for the account of Guest.

It says to go back by the listed time. Not do what you want when you feel you can. For the reason? There could be a bunch. It could be a condition of COVID policies (even varying by country), it could be a profitability thing, maybe just a liability thing. Whatever the case is, we all love our control and safety these days, so here we are.

11 hours ago, klfhngr said:

I was in Cabo in July, and everything shuts down at 10! Even the hotels where you stay! So it might be better and livelier to get back on the ship! Also was there 2 weeks ago, but that was on a cruise, so IDK what the current status is.

It's hard to beat a private beach at night. I'm not concerned with livelier. 

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It is absolutely in the ticket contract

(d) Guest agrees, in all ports of call, to return to the Vessel or pre-boarding location in accordance with instructions given by the Vessel’s Master or his authorized officer and in accordance with Carnival’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols. Guest further acknowledges that shipboard and shore side clocks may have different times, but it is Guest’s responsibility to return to the Vessel or pre-boarding location so as not to miss Vessel’s departure. Any costs associated with transporting Guest to rejoin the Vessel including, but not limited to, governmental fees, visa fees, subsistence, lodging, air fare, launch fare, car hire or agency fees shall be for the account of Guest.

It says to go back by the listed time. Not do what you want when you feel you can. For the reason? There could be a bunch. It could be a condition of COVID policies (even varying by country), it could be a profitability thing, maybe just a liability thing. Whatever the case is, we all love our control and safety these days, so here we are.

If we catch the second return to the vessel before it departs that would fulfill the requirements of the contract. If the boat doesn't return, then yes, it would be on us. As it literally says in that last part of the contract.

So yes, it is do what we want when we can with the caveat of the costs being on us, but nowhere is there any listing of being denied boarding, which was what all this was about.

If we notify the ship, and they don't say "you cannot stay the night" then we have fulfilled our obligations of the contract, as already discussed here. If they do, and we did anyway, then Again, we're responsible for our costs while there. That's clearly just covering them from us asking for a refund.

19 minutes ago, shaolincrane said:

It's hard to beat a private beach at night. I'm not concerned with livelier. 

If we catch the second return to the vessel before it departs that would fulfill the requirements of the contract. If the boat doesn't return, then yes, it would be on us. As it literally says in that last part of the contract.

So yes, it is do what we want when we can with the caveat of the costs being on us, but nowhere is there any listing of being denied boarding, which was what all this was about.

If we notify the ship, and they don't say "you cannot stay the night" then we have fulfilled our obligations of the contract, as already discussed here. If they do, and we did anyway, then Again, we're responsible for our costs while there. That's clearly just covering them from us asking for a refund.

Enjoy your night in Cabo!!

Book a one way ticket on Southwest for late Friday or anytime after that if you want to stay in Cabo.

If you can't get back on the ship - use the flight.  If you get back on the ship, cancel the flight.  

Edit - Just checked prices - kinda pricey$$

Edited by fuddrules

What if a Cruise overnighted in San Francisco on a World  cruise and I drove 50 miles home to do my laundry and repack and take home gifts,look at mail etc and return 2 hours before sail away? How can Carnival stop me? I think it's more of a way for them to make up lost revenue! 

Edited by travelplus
  • Like 1

If you are in San Francisco, chances are you are at Pier 27, where the ship is safely docked for the night.  That's very different than tendering in from a very windy harbor off of Cabo. 

I think the requirement for passengers to 'overnight' on the ship is primarily for passenger safety (not accidently missing the departure), and avoiding shoreside/security staffing expenses who would be on duty vetting passengers returning during the night, or in the early morning hours.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:43 AM, klfhngr said:

Good point and especially valid considering you were just there. The pre-covid mindset memory isn't really valid. Conditions matter.  

• Like 1

I am surprised a country like Mexico would even allow it.  A cruise ship passengers is basically a day guest.  They have not been through a formal customs process and hold no official travel visa.  I can't imagine they would be happy for the cruise line to leave them there while they sail away hoping to return the next day.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:36 AM, fyree39 said:

I'm going to be on this cruise. I'll keep my ear to the ground to see if I hear anything about this while on board.

Cool, I appreciate it. I'll report back as well.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:01 AM, crewsweeper said:

If you want to visit a resort in Cabo then book a land vacation.  Besides, you've already paid for your cabin the night you want to spend on Cabo.  That's not refundable.  So add that cost to your relatively low hotel/resort cost.

There are a lot of "land" vacations I'll take long before Cabo.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:03 AM, Bgcruising said:

Consider it unconfirmed I suppose. Things can always change, even confirmed things.

Well, I have confirmed I won't be denied reboarding at least. Or who knows, we could be.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:04 AM, fuddrules said:

Book a one way ticket on Southwest for late Friday or anytime after that if you want to stay in Cabo.

If you can't get back on the ship - use the flight.  If you get back on the ship, cancel the flight.  

Edit - Just checked prices - kinda pricey$$

If we got stuck we would probably just stay down there for a bit, no reason not to make some lemonade. United is about $110 a person for Monday/Tuesday

On 11/12/2021 at 1:45 PM, 1stin71 said:

We have been on cruises that "overnighted" in Cabo:

1) Cabo is BOTH a tender port and also what's called a "day port", meaning ships just cannot stay overnight in "port". Every time we have been there the ships have always ventured out to international waters and returned to Cabo back the following morning.

2) Cabo IS subject to insanely high "swells" and many a times we have missed Cabo because the

tendering process is just plain outright dangerous. If it happens to be one of those days, on your second day there, you are stuck!

I've been going there since the early 70s when there was nothing but a fishermens' shack in what is now the marina.

Definitely good to know, I appreciate the information and I'll keep it in mind.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, DB2VA said:

Will it cover the cost of flying you home?

As long as the lodging/flight costs are under $1500. We wouldn't be refunded for the cruise though.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, travelplus said:

What if a Cruise overnighted in San Francisco on a World  cruise and I drove 50 miles home to do my laundry and repack and take home gifts,look at mail etc and return 2 hours before sail away? How can Carnival stop me? I think it's more of a way for them to make up lost revenue! 

Kinda what I was thinking as well bit obviously other variables exist for Cabo.

On 11/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

If you are in San Francisco, chances are you are at Pier 27, where the ship is safely docked for the night.  That's very different than tendering in from a very windy harbor off of Cabo. 

I think the requirement for passengers to 'overnight' on the ship is primarily for passenger safety (not accidently missing the departure), and avoiding shoreside/security staffing expenses who would be on duty vetting passengers returning during the night, or in the early morning hours.

What vetting would be different if the return times for any different? 1 hour or 10 is enough to do a number of illegal things.

22 hours ago, ray98 said:

I am surprised a country like Mexico would even allow it.  A cruise ship passengers is basically a day guest.  They have not been through a formal customs process and hold no official travel visa.  I can't imagine they would be happy for the cruise line to leave them there while they sail away hoping to return the next day.

Have you ever driven or even walked across the Mexico border? None of that there either. Don't even need a passport to leave, only a REAL ID. USC have 180 days to visit without a VISA so it's not hard to fathom. 

1 hour ago, shaolincrane said:

Have you ever driven or even walked across the Mexico border? None of that there either. Don't even need a passport to leave, only a REAL ID. USC have 180 days to visit without a VISA so it's not hard to fathom. 

That has nothing to do with the fact that entering at a land crossing versus by air or sea all have very different requirements.  You must clear immigration if you arrive by plane or boat to receive a FMM visitor card.  Cruise ships have a different process because the visit is only a few hours and you are expected to depart with the ship.

9 hours ago, shaolincrane said:

What vetting would be different if the return times for any different? 1 hour or 10 is enough to do a number of illegal things.

It has nothing to do with whatever knucklehead mischief a port of call passenger may get into.

If you have an open ended, come & go as you overnight port of call, then it involves scheduling and paying shoreside staff the entire time the gangway is connected to the ship. It's staffing the shoreside security who are checking IDs and sea-passes, and  the longshore people who maintain the gangway.  If everyone (passengers and crew) are all on the ship, then there is no need to pay for these folks.