American Airlines/Delta

hollon

My cruise leaves Dec. 5th.  AA is cheaper, but I'm worried about the "cancellations they've had"  has anyone flown AA lately or heard any new news?  Or would yall go w/ Delta. I usually Fly Delta w/ no problems.   Thanks

15 minutes ago, hollon said:

AA is cheaper, but I'm worried about the "cancellations they've had"  has anyone flown AA lately or heard any new news? 

That was a temporary issue - should be fine by your sailing date. Look on a flight monitoring site to see the on time performance on your route.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

That was a temporary issue - should be fine by your sailing date. Look on a flight monitoring site to see the on time performance on your route.

thank you, I'll try and find it 🙂

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

This is not temporary at all. All the airlines are short of help and having flights cancelled. 

Delta seems to be flying high (pardon the pun) right now, but part of that might be due to some of its hubs (Atlanta, Minneapolis, Detroit) haven't been hit by unusual delays. If the right storm hit one of those cities, I would suspect Delta would get backed up pretty bad.

I used to hold Southwest in high regard, but they have proven that they have the exact same problem--perhaps even worse. Discount airlines frequently fly into smaller airports with fewer alternatives, and they won't re-book you on a competitor if there is a problem. Often your only option is to hunker down in a hotel for a few days until their logistics bottleneck clears up.

For my next cruise, I'm flying American Airlines and passing through airports that serve multiple carriers.

How would anyone on this site know or project what any airline will do today,  tomorrow, next week or next month? 

It is up to you to make the decision. 

Opinions are useless in something like this.  

Who knows what will happen? 

NO ONE!

I just flew American Airlines from Baltimore, MD to Miami on Saturday. At 2 a.m. I received notice that my 6:45 a.m. flight was cancelled. They did rebook me on another flight with a layover in New York. We didn't board Symphony until 2 p.m. Talk about a stressful day!!

I had tickets on AA twice (through Celebrity's air program.)

We had a brief delay leaving so 19 people from my flight did not make their one connection. The line at customer service was INSANE. I met a lady traveling from West Coast to Daytona Beach. Flew to Austin. Missed connection so she spent the night. Flew her to FLL. Missed connection so she spent the night. Flew to Charlotte. Missed connection so she spent the night. She was hoping to get to DAB the next day. That is a lot of days to get there. By the time that she does it will be time to go home.

On our last AA flight, we had a mechanical so we had to turn around and deplane. No AC in Florida. It took nine hours to make a 2 hour flight.

I flew in day of both times. I learned to avoid connections. Now I just go in the day before. There is just too much unpredictability now. 

6 hours ago, hollon said:

My cruise leaves Dec. 5th.  AA is cheaper, but I'm worried about the "cancellations they've had"  has anyone flown AA lately or heard any new news?  Or would yall go w/ Delta. I usually Fly Delta w/ no problems.   Thanks

Go with Delta, AA is unreliable.

5 hours ago, renza said:

This is not temporary at all. All the airlines are short of help and having flights cancelled. 

I think the poster was referring to the 1000 cancellations last weekend kind of level - that’s the temporary I was talking about. As I mentioned one can look at the on time performance (and number of cancellations) on their route to see if it warrants taking a different airline. 

16 hours ago, hollon said:

We fly delta- IMO more reliable then AA.  Also no problem with Jet Blue.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We fly delta- IMO more reliable then AA.  Also no problem with Jet Blue.  

We live in NY so even if there is a problem it's only a slight problem. JFK is the HUB for JetBlue. We have had delays and even had to switch aircrafts but very minor incidents.  Also more nonstop flights are available from larger metropolitan areas. With that said I will never fly out of MacArthur airport in Ronkonkoma for a cruise.

15 hours ago, Oxo said:

How would anyone on this site know or project what any airline will do today,  tomorrow, next week or next month? 

It is up to you to make the decision. 

Opinions are useless in something like this.  

Who knows what will happen? 

NO ONE!

Sums it up nicely.  No point whatsoever in making decisions based on comments from this or any other internet forum.