Military discount discovered!

JaneAustenCruiser

So in checking on the availability of space on the Equinox in April for the 12-day Ultimate Caribbean for my dad and his friend, my travel agent mentioned she knew my dad was a vet so he could get a military discount. I asked if I could still get that too and she said I could. They had to rebook it so our perks changed but it cut the price of my fare in half.

God bless travel agents! Wanted to share in case there are other vets out there that weren't aware of the potential discount.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

So in checking on the availability of space on the Equinox in April for the 12-day Ultimate Caribbean for my dad and his friend, my travel agent mentioned she knew my dad was a vet so he could get a military discount. I asked if I could still get that too and she said I could. They had to rebook it so our perks changed but it cut the price of my fare in half.

God bless travel agents! Wanted to share in case there are other vets out there that weren't aware of the potential discount.

IMO your dad as a vet is clearly entitled to the discount, you’re not yet you still accepted it…again just MO.

• Like 2

The first time we cruised many years ago on HAL and booked using military discount for this cruise, ever since we have cruised strictly with X somehow they knew I was retired military and always applied a military discount without asking.

Not sure how X knew.

26 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

If I understand correctly, no perks are available with this discount 

Thats not always the case.  We have always gotten perks, what has varied is the amount of the discount.

When we get a military discount with perks the discount is generally in the range of $100 - 200.  If we took the military discount with no perks the discount is greater, but in reality most of that discount due to not having perks.

I'm retire police. When I've checked the police and emt button it never has changed the price. When I've added state of residence and Captain's Club number I either  get a discount and lose all the perks or the price doesn't change.

Edited by sasset
More information

Not all cruises and/or all cruise lines give military discounts. We have 2 sailings on X in the next year and military discounts on both but we also have a cruise on RCCL next year and sometimes, depending on the sailing we get a military discount and sometimes they don't offer it. Just depends. Also I know that on Princess you get OBC for military and not a discount on the sailing price. Like I said...just depends.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

IMO your dad as a vet is clearly entitled to the discount, you’re not yet you still accepted it…again just MO.

If X is willing to give it, what's the harm? This is not a stolen valor situation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mspink98 said:

If X is willing to give it, what's the harm? This is not a stolen valor situation. 

You actually have to ask!  If you have to ask then you wouldn't understand. The whole idea behind the Military/Veteran discount is Celebrity's way of saying thank you for your service. For me it has nothing to do with the few dollar discount.  IMO, anyone asking for and receiving the Military/Veteran discount that is not either or at least the second passenger in the stateroom is disrespectful to those that have severed or serving. @JaneAustenCruiserpost is an excellent example why Celebrity needs to enforce what they publish. Celebrity needs to request proof of being a Military member or Veteran be submitted before any Military/ Veteran discount can be applied to the booking(s). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

Old news.

Your TA did a good thing and the wrong thing. Glad your dad received the recognition and the Military/Veterans discount. If you aren't staying in the same stateroom you shouldn't have received the discount. Are you staying in the same stateroom? If not you should never have received the discount and your TA is dishonest for booking it that way. But I also blame Celebrity for not requesting proof. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

If I understand correctly, those using this discount (and others) will have a cruise only cruise and not an always included cruise.  I don’t know how this works for those in the retreat.

We have a cruise booked for September 2022 with the AI and Military/Veterans discount. 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We have a cruise booked for September 2022 with the AI and Military/Veterans discount. 

Same for us. AI + military discount.  I don't think the AI has anything to do with the discount. But I whole heartedly agree with you. My soldier worked hard and deserves his discount.

Edited by FLCruiser97
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

If I understand correctly, those using this discount (and others) will have a cruise only cruise and not an always included cruise.  I don’t know how this works for those in the retreat.

We have made 3 bookings in the past month, all with Military Discount, NRD and all have the AI perks.

The discount discussion in Celebrity's opaque website is buried, but obviously many here have not read it.

The discount is expressly not available to anyone not booked in the same cabin as the "eligible" pax. That appears to be only the OP's father and his friend as originally described, although it is entirely possible the rebooking put her in with dad. 

@LGW59 Please don't be so harsh. Many dependents, including adult children, are eligible for their veteran parents' discounts offered by many merchants, especially dependents of retirees. The OP asked a routine question about the discount, and there is no evidence she intended to cheat or abuse the system.  The TA apparently made it work, which may mean all is kosher.

Edited by mayleeman

44 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

The discount discussion in Celebrity's opaque website is buried, but obviously many here have not read it.

The discount is expressly not available to anyone not booked in the same cabin as the "eligible" pax. That appears to be only the OP's father and his friend as originally described, although it is entirely possible the rebooking put her in with dad. 

@LGW59 Please don't be so harsh. Many dependents, including adult children, are eligible for their veteran parents' discounts offered by many merchants, especially dependents of retirees. The OP asked a routine question about the discount, and there is no evidence she intended to cheat or abuse the system.  The TA apparently made it work, which may mean all is kosher.

As an adult child and dependent…sorry don’t agree