Military discount discovered!

JaneAustenCruiser

@LGW59 Let's see...USAA, NFCU and PFCU all come to mind. My DIL received a preferential interest rate for a mortgage from a bank in Hawaii because her father was retired Army (did not live with her). Just a few examples. But you apparently can tell she had larceny in her heart rather than simply having inqquired from someone who should have known.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where in the post did the OP ever say she wasn’t a veteran? It might be an assumption but never actually stated.

Both my wife and I are retired and neither of us feel disrespected or cheated out of anything.  No stealing seems to have occurred. 

Happy Veterans Day to all that served and their supportive families (not dependent)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is taken directly from the Celebrity website.  Their bolded letters are Celebrity's, not mine.    We have always had to show my government-issued retired military ID at the port at check in for both Celebrity and Disney.   Be careful!  If you don't have a qualifying ID card, you might end up having to pay the regular place.  

Celebrity offers military discounts on select sailings to active or reserve personnel currently serving in the Canadian Forces, United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard or National Guard, and retired personnel from any of these divisions. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above are also eligible. Finally, spouses of actively deployed or deceased military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom at the military rate. The spouse of the military member must be booked in the stateroom and others in the same stateroom will also be allowed to cruise at the military rate. Qualifying guests must present the proper military ID and a driver's license or passport at the time of booking.

Edited by quicklabs
Added info

8 minutes ago, quicklabs said:

This is taken directly from the Celebrity website.  Their bolded letters are Celebrity's, not mine.    We have always had to show my government-issued retired military ID at the port at check in for both Celebrity and Disney.   Be careful!  If you don't have a qualifying ID card, you might end up having to pay the regular place.  

Celebrity offers military discounts on select sailings to active or reserve personnel currently serving in the Canadian Forces, United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard or National Guard, and retired personnel from any of these divisions. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above are also eligible. Finally, spouses of actively deployed or deceased military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom at the military rate. The spouse of the military member must be booked in the stateroom and others in the same stateroom will also be allowed to cruise at the military rate. Qualifying guests must present the proper military ID and a driver's license or passport at the time of booking.

I have a question about the sentence I highlighted regarding spouses. Does this mean fully retired military individuals, such as my DW and I, can book multiple cabins for our adult children and their families and get the military discount applied to all cabins if we book and subsequently pay for their cabins?

22 minutes ago, quicklabs said:

Qualifying guests must present the proper military ID and a driver's license or passport at the time of booking.

Another example of Celebrity web idiocy and lack of clarity (and proofreading). How do you present documents when you book?

Many veterans do not have a military ID. As has been discussed many times, a DD-214 discharge document showing an honorable discharge is also acceptable for Celebrity and should be brought to the port.

In addition, the VA is now issuing a Veteran's card to veterans such as myself who do not have a VA health card. It is specifically intended to give veterans an official ID to prove eligibility for discounts at retailers.

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have a question about the sentence I highlighted regarding spouses. Does this mean fully retired military individuals, such as my DW and I, can book multiple cabins for our adult children and their families and get the military discount applied to all cabins if we book and subsequently pay for their cabins?

No. Read the sentence after that one. The eligible spouses must be booked in the discounted stateroom. It is available only for everyone in the eligible person's stateroom, not everyone in other cabins in the same booking.

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

No. Read the sentence after that one. The eligible spouses must be booked in the discounted stateroom. It is available only for everyone in the eligible person's stateroom, not everyone in other cabins in the same booking.

Thanks! That’s what we’ve always thought too in that the military discount only applies to the cabin any authorized recipient is booked in. Just wanted to make sure we weren’t missing something.

I have never really looked into the military discounts because my service time was so short I don't even have a DD 214.  I do however have a DD 256, that is my Honorable Discharge and a copy of the orders discharging me for medical reasons.   Officially I was in the Army Reserve for about 9 months, never saw any active duty and only attended weekend meetings and one two week summer camp.  So according to what is quoted from the Celebrity web site I am eligible since I was medicaled out.  Anyone have any thoughts on that issue?   Oh, the medical, during my college days I had two open knee surgeries and a complete fracture of the femur just above that same knee.  38 days in hospitals all totaled but I was still good to go for the Vietnam era draft so I found my way into the reserves and had the knee to out, again during summer camp.....

I don't understand why some get in such a tizzy over what discount others do or do not receive.

I'm an ex-cop.  I've received law enforcement discounts on some products (not cruises, yet) even though I did not retire as a police officer.

I've received student discounts where no proof was required.

My GF is the ex-wife of a retired Navy man.  She has a military ID and full on-base privileges.  We have received cruise line discounts.  It is *not* stolen valor.  Stolen valor would be me showing up somewhere in a USMC uniform and claiming to have won a military medal.  Stolen valor is not getting $200 off on a cruise, lol.

Everyone has their own moral compass.  I think mine is very good.  But if they allow you to qualify for a discount, or require little or no proof, that may be by design.  Go for it.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RBKL said:

Where in the post did the OP ever say she wasn’t a veteran? It might be an assumption but never actually stated.

Both my wife and I are retired and neither of us feel disrespected or cheated out of anything.  No stealing seems to have occurred. 

Happy Veterans Day to all that served and their supportive families (not dependent)

Where in the post did @JaneAustenCruiserever say she was a veteran? It might be an assumption but never actually stated. 

• Like 1

I think that the military discounts are available to  active duty, current Reservists, retirees with 20 plus years of service, those with medical retirement, 100 percent disability or vets with a DD214 (which would show length of service and combat tours) or vet's card.   Family members of vets other than spouses probably are not eligible unless they are staying in the same stateroom, but I'm not 100 percent certain about that. (Military dependency usually ends at age 25 except for spouses, so adult children, grandchildren, etc. would probably not be eligible unless they are still dependents for other reasons)   Spouses have ID cards of their own.   I have never been asked my ID when I book--but always at the port.  If you don't have a card of some sort, a copy of the DD214 would probably be acceptable to show Veteran's status.   Like all things military, the rule are confusing. 🤔

Edited by quicklabs

1 minute ago, quicklabs said:

I think that the military discounts are available to only active duty, current Reservists, retirees with 20 plus years of service, those with medical retirement, 100 percent disability  or with a Veterans ID issued through Veterans Administration.    Family members of vets other than spouses probably are not eligible unless they are staying in the same stateroom, but I'm not 100 percent certain about that. (Military dependency usually ends at age 25 except for spouses.)   Spouses have ID cards of their own.   I have never been asked my ID when I book--but always at the port.   Like all things military, the regs are confusing. 🤔

Celebrity's Military/ Veteran discount is given to any one currently serving or has severed with an honorable discharge. I'm not a lifer but have a service connected disability and an honorable discharge. I have always received the Military/Veteran discount. I've never been asked to provide a copy of my DD214, DD256 or my VA medical ID when booking our cruises. I always book directly with Celebrity either over the phone or while onboard the ship. I sometimes transfer the booking later on to a TA. I have never been asked by Celebrity or the TA to provide a copy of my DD214, DD256, VA ID card or drivers license that has veteran printed on it. It's a bummer as Celebrity should make it mandatory and follow their own published guidelines. Like you I always take a copy of my DD214 with me. When we cruise with Princess I get the Military/Veterans OBC but I had to submit a copy of my DD214 in order to receive the OBC for all cruises. My profile with Princess shows I'm a Veteran and have a DD214 on file with them. 

• Like 2

About 7-8 years ago when we were booking our 1st Celebrity cruise our TA, who we had used previously,

called and asked us to send her a photo of the DD214 in order to get the Military discount.  We have never been asked for proof since.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, Dolebludger said:

If I understand correctly, those using this discount (and others) will have a cruise only cruise and not an always included cruise.  I don’t know how this works for those in the retreat.

We have an AI and upgraded to the Indulge package along with a military discount. The discount was not very large but still appreciated.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, quicklabs said:

Family members of vets other than spouses probably are not eligible unless they are staying in the same stateroom, but I'm not 100 percent certain about that. (Military dependency usually ends at age 25 except for spouses, so adult children, grandchildren, etc. would probably not be eligible unless they are still dependents for other reasons)

The discount applies to the first 2 passengers booked in the stateroom. Not limited to dependents or even family.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-deals/military-cruise-deal

Incidentally, the language in that provision appears (of course) to be imprecise, and, occasionally, flatly wrong because the amount might not be that low. We received a "military savings" of $700 off our base fare for a veranda on Equinox next October. We booked on the last day of the 20% sale. The next day began the "50% off 2nd guest" sale. They repriced us and kept the mil discount, so it wasn't an error. Maybe just an unannounced bonus or just certain cruises?

In any event, anyone eligible should always check if the discount is higher than the amounts set out on that page.

Edited by mayleeman

5 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

We do. All the time when they have them. DH looks forward to those.

Same here. Some haven't been as well attended as others but glad the staff still supports the gatherings. Another way Celebrity is saying thank you for your service and recognizing those serving and those that have served. For me it's not all about getting the Military/Veteran discount. 

• Thanks 1

I always book direct with Celebrity UK and recieve 10% off the fare excluding taxes. I quote my Defence Discount Card number to the advisor. No UK ex-military member receives a card direct from the government.

I booked my next cruise on the US website because of a big discount (it varies between the sites) and ticked military box. Naturally I do not have a DD214 as was British Army. I intend to take my discharge papers to Fort Lauderdale just in case.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:10 PM, davekathy said:

Old news.

Your TA did a good thing and the wrong thing. Glad your dad received the recognition and the Military/Veterans discount. If you aren't staying in the same stateroom you shouldn't have received the discount. Are you staying in the same stateroom? If not you should never have received the discount and your TA is dishonest for booking it that way. But I also blame Celebrity for not requesting proof. 

When we started sailing X we were required to provide proof of service and it's now on my husband's records with the TA.