Embarkation Day Lunch

NaplesKnitter

Lunch in the dining room is my preferred way to start a cruise. It's been several years since someone tried to steer us away from eating there. The only time we've missed it in the past few years was when we boarded after the dining room was closed. We ate at the International Cafe that afternoon instead of braving the crowds at the buffet. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Lunch in the dining room is my preferred way to start a cruise. It's been several years since someone tried to steer us away from eating there. The only time we've missed it in the past few years was when we boarded after the dining room was closed. We ate at the International Cafe that afternoon instead of braving the crowds at the buffet. 

October 2019 at the top of the gang blank entering the Grand Princess was a crew member handing out little sheets of paper with directions to the MDR where the embarkation lunch was being held.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 6:08 AM, jondfk said:

Also, it's no joke that crew will direct you away from the dining room.  We were once directed to the buffet despite being within 10 feet of the open dining room doors through which we could see folks eating lunch.  Staff clearly had been told to herd towards the buffet, pay no mind, there is almost always a dining room open somewhere, typically from noon to 1:30 though we've seen hours vary somewhat ship to ship / time to time.  

It may really a lack of knowledge on the part of the herding person.

I was on one cruise and mentioned to the Cruise Director how we had the embarkation day lunch in the dining room. He was surprised because in all his experience with Princess, he had never been aware that lunch option existed.

If ship management (which the CD is part of) is unaware of the embarkation day lunch, those guiding the passengers to lunch may also have no knowledge of it.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

It may really a lack of knowledge on the part of the herding person.

I was on one cruise and mentioned to the Cruise Director how we had the embarkation day lunch in the dining room. He was surprised because in all his experience with Princess, he had never been aware that lunch option existed.

If ship management (which the CD is part of) is unaware of the embarkation day lunch, those guiding the passengers to lunch may also have no knowledge of it.

I have also had people at the elevator tell me there was no lunch being served in the dining room. Right then, someone came up and said they just had lunch in the dining room. The guy said he was told to point everyone to the buffet. Weirdest thing ever - he knew there was lunch in the dining room but was put at the elevator to move people to the buffet and stop them from going downstairs.

On the Majestic we boarded at 11:00am. Lunch in the dining room started at noon.

Cabins weren't ready. We passed Alfredo's and that was it. Sat right down, relaxed,

and ordered our delicious pizza. Enjoyed a glass of wine.Was on for two weeks and repeated it the second week. Great way to start a cruise.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

On the Majestic we boarded at 11:00am. Lunch in the dining room started at noon.

Cabins weren't ready. We passed Alfredo's and that was it. Sat right down, relaxed,

and ordered our delicious pizza. Enjoyed a glass of wine.Was on for two weeks and repeated it the second week. Great way to start a cruise.

Yummmm... Pizza in Alfredo's!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cruzbw said:

Has anyone here been on the Ruby since restart, and knows which MDR is serving the embarkation day lunch? I would love to look like I know what I'm doing with the rest of the family!

That is easy. Perform the ships tour with the family with you as the guide and when you find the MDR open for lunch just say and here we will pause the tour while we eat lunch. The family will be so satiated with food they will refuse to continue the tour after lunch and will want to have a siesta.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

Our normal embarkation day procedure is to head over to Alfredo;s (now also called GiGi's on some ships) for lunch.  Sometimes we get there and find no queue and are quickly seated and other times we may have to wait outside for a few minutes (this part of the ship is always good for people watching).  The few times when the queue at Alfredos was too long we have gone to the MDR for lunch.   Although we have no problem with having lunch at the Lido, we prefer to avoid this place on embarkation day.

Hank

1 hour ago, Cruzbw said:

Trbarton, what is the first pic?  It looks delicious!  I am so ready for the Ruby, unfortunately, it's not until April, 2022.

It’s like a apple tart. On my December 17 cruise I make a copy of the menu so people can see it. 

It’s on deck 6 from 12-1:30 pm, Da Vinci Dinning Room. 

image.thumb.png.31b8b4080fbde3989931cb13646c2a30.png

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

6 hours ago, trbarton said:

It’s like a apple tart. On my December 17 cruise I make a copy of the menu so people can see it. 

It’s on deck 6 from 12-1:30 pm, Da Vinci Dinning Room. 

image.thumb.png.31b8b4080fbde3989931cb13646c2a30.png

Tom😀

Thank you! That is golden information.  I will certainly look for your posts with the menus.  Very exciting!

Bill

On 11/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, Nashna said:

Lunch in the MDR on embarcation day is so much nicer than the buffet.  We try to avoid the buffet on regular days, on embarcation day it is typically a zoo.

I totally agree with you stay far away from the buffet it’s a Zoo. The place I really like is Alfredo’s.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

On 11/17/2021 at 2:17 AM, brisalta said:

October 2019 at the top of the gang blank entering the Grand Princess was a crew member handing out little sheets of paper with directions to the MDR where the embarkation lunch was being held.

We had that on our last cruise (it was out of PE, pre-Covid).  We were first aboard and we were thinking they were handing them out to Elites and Suites and probably the newbies boarding later did not see those slips (cannot say for certain).