iPhone in syrup - advice needed

zgscl

Well I am in San Diego about to head off to the Koningsdam and I am in a bit of a jam (pun intended). At breakfast I dropped my iPhone into a plate full of syrup charging side first so the whole bottom is quite sticky including inside the charging port. Good news, it still charges. Would love any brilliant ideas you all may have as far as how to best clean it. I am assuming water would be bad. 

I do have access to: 

• Glasses wipes (the wet, single use kind) 
  • Water & plastic cups
  • Staples and one paperclip 
  • Towels & wash cloths 

I have long believed that you can either laugh or cry about stuff so if nothing else I hope someone can at least laugh at this gigantic mess I made which includes getting syrup on my shirt which I am unable to change because they have already taken my luggage off to the ship. Oh well, at least I no longer need to worry about spilling on myself at lunch and I can really Dive Into (pun also intended) the Lido & burgers on board. 🤣

• Haha 3

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

We really need an “ohh no!” Emoji.

Can you chat with Apple on this before you leave?

We really do! Not a bad thought I might try giving them a call. The glasses wipe seems to have done fairly well. Glad it is still charging at least. So far better than the time my screen completely died in the middle of a trip.

Oh man, I feel for you!  During our last cruise I fell while walking along the water in the Med, and got my phone all wet (including myself).  It wouldn't charge.  Putting it in rice (provided by the wonderful crew) for 24 hours fixed it -- but I'm afraid syrup is much worse than water. 😞  Let us know how it goes!

The specific gravity of Syrup is higher than water - so they are probably only good to about 10 ft of Syrup...

Seriously - Try to fine some alcohol (not the drinking kind - the medical/disinfectant  stuff) with Qtips. That is what we use when cleaning most electronics we work on. wash off any place you can find. It will be really hard to get into the contacts of the charger port as the opening is small and the contacts are even more smaller.

Your one paperclip MAY be small enough with a tissue wrapped around to get in there (Try to not get the tissue stuck). 

• Like 4

It sounds like it's charging but maybe pick up a Qi charger at some point. Without an adapter you can get one for about $15. The mag safe chargers are a little more expensive but that seems to be the way Apple technology is going. 

Edited by ImGoingFirst
typo
  • Like 1

My "go to" product for "iPhone in syrup" is Windex!  I would moisten a decent quality (so it does not fall apart) or cotton  cloth with Windex and gently remove the syrup.  Inside the Lightning charger hole is a real tough situation.  If you have access to a local Apple Store then the easy solution would be to head over there with your phone and beg for help.  Since it is still charging this might be one of those situations where doing nothing (until you can get professional advice from Apple) might be the best approach.

Hank

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh man, I feel for you!  During our last cruise I fell while walking along the water in the Med, and got my phone all wet (including myself).  It wouldn't charge.  Putting it in rice (provided by the wonderful crew) for 24 hours fixed it -- but I'm afraid syrup is much worse than water. 😞  Let us know how it goes!

Your situation was obviously completely different. Rice won't do anything for her other than stick to the syrup.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I think the eye glass cleaning wipes are your best bet because they dry so fast. But it’s 8 hours later so hopefully your phone is syrup free now. 😉

It is indeed! The glasses cleaner worked. 

13 hours ago, Nymich said:

You could add pancakes.

Best suggestion yet! 

1 hour ago, Sue from Canada said:

Why can't people put their phone away during eating, going to the bathroom, reading while walking, taking a bath.  Drives me nuts.

I don't blame you. I normally don't use it, however when traveling alone I will often read or take pictures for cruise critic 😃

• Like 6

9 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Your situation was obviously completely different. Rice won't do anything for her other than stick to the syrup.

Of course it was different. That's why I said syrup is much worse.  Sorry I wasn't clear, in no way was I suggesting rice! Just empathizing. 

7 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Why can't people put their phone away during eating, going to the bathroom, reading while walking, taking a bath.  Drives me nuts.

I agree with you, but my phone is my camera so when walking (not reading while walking) my phone is with me. 

@zgsclI'm very happy to hear that the glasses cleaner worked.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

And a lot of us are happy you do!  Your live forms are excellent!

Thank you, you are too kind! 

6 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

But where is the pancake/syrup pic?  Surely after all that trouble you got a good pic to share.

These are the offending pieces of french toast! 

IMG_1744.thumb.jpeg.64fdce89655dc7084d01f5fe5ea07d2e.jpeg

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Of course it was different. That's why I said syrup is much worse.  Sorry I wasn't clear, in no way was I suggesting rice! Just empathizing. 

I agree with you, but my phone is my camera so when walking (not reading while walking) my phone is with me. 

@zgsclI'm very happy to hear that the glasses cleaner worked.

I did have the crab risotto yesterday evening, maybe I should have tried dipping my phone in that 🤣

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Glad to hear “your sticky situation” is cleared up.👏🏻👏🏻

Thank you! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1