Cpap

desiree741

I didn't know this.  My wife has a CPAP machine and she doesn't let it get out of her sight when traveling so not an issue for her.  Regardless, I checked Google and it tells me TSA recommends putting it in checked baggage to decrease the possibility of misplacing your carry-on.  Not clear why the cruiselines require you to carry it onboard.  You would think they work off the same book of regulations as TSA.

If it's in your carry-on, then it is with you. Not sure how a carry-on would get lost since it is in your possession. Check bags have been lost (and even a few dropped into the water) and also they don't exactly receive gentle handling, so there's the chance your machine could be damaged. I carry mine with me.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

If it's in your carry-on, then it is with you. Not sure how a carry-on would get lost since it is in your possession. Check bags have been lost (and even a few dropped into the water) and also they don't exactly receive gentle handling, so there's the chance your machine could be damaged. I carry mine with me.

Until it isn't.  I used to work at Port Canaveral (checking in passengers going on RCCL ships) and you would not believe the amount of stuff left behind by passengers.  In the hussle and bussle at a cruise terminal people tend to forget things.  So, we would just collect it all, store it away and have it available when the ship came back.

27 minutes ago, Cushing985 said:

Until it isn't.  I used to work at Port Canaveral (checking in passengers going on RCCL ships) and you would not believe the amount of stuff left behind by passengers.  In the hussle and bussle at a cruise terminal people tend to forget things.  So, we would just collect it all, store it away and have it available when the ship came back.

OK, let's say It should be with you. If it's not that's on you.

i've often wanted to put my CPAP in my checked bags, but I'm too worked about they way bags are handled. Last week my hard sided suitcase arrived w/a crack from Delta. I have seen luggage topple off the luggage bins and fall in the water. 

I don't take any chances and just deal with my carry on. I put my cruise tag on my carrying on in case I do walk away from it.

1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

I was told (RUMOR) that CPAP are checked for oxygen tanks. Evidently oxygen tanks, not supplied by the Carnival vendor, are a No NO.

Oxygen is a NO NO regardless of who supplies them right now.  No one is allowed to sail if they require oxygen at this time.

Luggage gets tossed around and other suitcases piled on top so it could get damaged.  Liquids from broken bottles could damage it.  Forklift could malfunction.  There are a dozen ways a viable piece of medical equipment could be damaged and you would be SOL.

3 hours ago, magictam said:

i've often wanted to put my CPAP in my checked bags, but I'm too worked about they way bags are handled. Last week my hard sided suitcase arrived w/a crack from Delta. I have seen luggage topple off the luggage bins and fall in the water. 

I don't take any chances and just deal with my carry on. I put my cruise tag on my carrying on in case I do walk away from it.

Always keep your cpap and meds with you. If your luggage gets lost, at least you are safe

Edited by TheSeagoer
Spelling

3 hours ago, JoeMo said:

I was told (RUMOR) that CPAP are checked for oxygen tanks. Evidently oxygen tanks, not supplied by the Carnival vendor, are a No NO.

Carnival is the only cruise line that has passengers flagged to go to the counter if they indicate that they will be using a CPAP machine.  No one is looking at or into your device, but the check-in agent needs to know if you are carrying it on board with you.  If you had given it to longshore in your check-in luggage, you would be asked if you medically need it, or if you would get by if you didn't have it.  If you answered yes, I absolutely need it, you would be asked to wait while longshore retrieved your luggage and you could carry it on-board yourself.

At least this is what happened in Seattle for the Alaska cruises.

15 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Carnival is the only cruise line that has passengers flagged to go to the counter if they indicate that they will be using a CPAP machine.  No one is looking at or into your device, but the check-in agent needs to know if you are carrying it on board with you.  If you had given it to longshore in your check-in luggage, you would be asked if you medically need it, or if you would get by if you didn't have it.  If you answered yes, I absolutely need it, you would be asked to wait while longshore retrieved your luggage and you could carry it on-board yourself.

At least this is what happened in Seattle for the Alaska cruises.

Nobody asked me anything. My cabin attendant brought me a extension cord

• Like 1

CPAP Machines

Carnival permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard.

You must bring your own equipment on board for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage. There is one electrical outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style).  It is recommended that you bring your own extension cord to accommodate your equipment comfortably.

Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 Ext. 70039, Monday-Sunday from 9:00am-9:00pm ET. For purchase on board, please contact Room Service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.

If traveling by air, please check with the airline directly for their restrictions regarding traveling with medical equipment.

The easy answer is liability. Carnival has no desire to shoulder any fault in a lost or damaged CPAP.

Second, no one has to be flagged as a CPAP user. I have had one since 2016 and took our 36th cruise last week. It was in it's case in a roll-on suitcase. No one has ever said anything at the security check. Those are contract employees running the scanner, not TSA agents. It's been the same experience in four ports in the past four cruises.

If you have a CPAP and you use it 100% of the time you'd never let it out of your control from your home to your cabin. I have left mine on a flight for a business meeting trip and was miserable until Southwest Airlines came through for me. Now it goes in the carry-on on every flight, every week.

The comment about oxygen is invalid. Both Phillips and ResMed units don't depend on supplemental oxygen. Those two companies control over 90% of the market.

One final note; a CPAP or any other medical device does not count towards your airline carry-on policy. Before I started putting it in my roll-on bag I carried it, a computer bag and 22" suitcase with only a few stops to verify it was a CPAP as the third item.

Edited by BallFour4