Covid19 positive test on Quest today

gymfreak

A passenger onboard has just reported someone has just tested positive for Covid19 and is now in isolation.

It appears that the relevant protocols have been implemented.

Hope this will prove to be an isolated case and wishing all passengers and crew a safe journey 

This would mean the person has been onboard for six days and most likely brought the infection onboard in Lisbon or Seville (previous stop, then b2b).

I'm hoping the protocols which Azamara are applying excellently are working and the risk to other passengers and crew is minimal.

5 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Anyone know if passengers are wearing contact-tracing bracelets like we did on Crystal in September?  Very helpful in determining who was exposed to the person infected.

Azamara do not use these.

• Like 2

We had a case on 19 October cruise on Quest. The passenger and their partner were isolated and taken off the ship together much later than the rest of the passengers.  Watching from the top of Quest, I could see that their luggage had been wrapped and all crew wore PPE. The gangway was disinfected. The passengers were driven away in a private ambulance - presumably to an isolation facility near Civitavecchia. it all seemed to be handled well.

• Like 3

I wish the person infected a speedy recovery and a good quarantine experience, whether that is onboard or ashore. Whilst it's disappointing to have Covid cases, I do I find it very positive that these are announced by the captain, rather than have the cloak and dagger shennanigans other cruise lines seem to be following.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BritishLandS said:

I wish the person infected a speedy recovery and a good quarantine experience, whether that is onboard or ashore. Whilst it's disappointing to have Covid cases, I do I find it very positive that these are announced by the captain, rather than have the cloak and dagger shennanigans other cruise lines seem to be following.

It isn't a surprise to me knowing who the Captain is.  Johannes is extremely hands on when it comes to health matters (well everything ship to be honest).  He does indeed take health of the guests extremely seriously.  

Let's hope that it is a false positive🤞

Phil

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

Hope those that tested positive get better soon.  I would be interested to know the impact to other passengers and crew, additional testing ??

Per Johannes, ship cameras records were used to identify those who might have been heavily exposed to the positive case.  Those individuals were then tested again and all were negative. 

I will leave it to others to assess how effective the camera search could be.

• Like 2

One of my grandsons had a false positive in Melbourne.

All the family tested negative the day he got his results.

Same two days later.

Knock on the door to make sure he was home four days after test result.

Oh, while you are here, might we have a talk about this, as it does not seem to be right . . .

Further investigation . . . everyone back to work the next day.

I was staggered to learn that at least 4% of results are false positives!!

4 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

One of my grandsons had a false positive in Melbourne.

All the family tested negative the day he got his results.

Same two days later.

Knock on the door to make sure he was home four days after test result.

Oh, while you are here, might we have a talk about this, as it does not seem to be right . . .

Further investigation . . . everyone back to work the next day.

I was staggered to learn that at least 4% of results are false positives!!

A 4% false positive number does not surprise me.  That is why they retest all false positives.  Most medical tests are not 100% specific.

DON

• Like 1

23 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

Per Johannes, ship cameras records were used to identify those who might have been heavily exposed to the positive case.  Those individuals were then tested again and all were negative. 

I will leave it to others to assess how effective the camera search could be.

I think that Celebrity & Royal use the same technology for contact tracing and it seems to work.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, macmax said:

I think that Celebrity & Royal use the same technology for contact tracing and it seems to work.

Have Celebrity or Royal done any valid tests to verify that their photo tracking procedures actually do work or are we just relying on their promises that they work.  After all, we all know how valid the promises that we get from cruise companies are.

DON

50 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Have Celebrity or Royal done any valid tests to verify that their photo tracking procedures actually do work or are we just relying on their promises that they work.  After all, we all know how valid the promises that we get from cruise companies are.

DON

To satisfy the various regulators and insurers I expect that exercises were completed on their test cruises.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I am aware of a person who was recently on the Summit and had to be tested because he was found to have been in "contact" with a passenger (he didn't even know) that had tested positive.  Apparently, facial recognition is used and it depends on how often and how long you were close to the affected person. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macmax said:

I am aware of a person who was recently on the Summit and had to be tested because he was found to have been in "contact" with a passenger (he didn't even know) that had tested positive.  Apparently, facial recognition is used and it depends on how often and how long you were close to the affected person. 

In most instances, at least "down under" 15 minutes in close proximity is considered to be a close contact. On board examples might be sitting at the bar in The Den, or conversing with the people at the next table while enjoying a meal.

The more you test within a population with a very low incidence of a disease (e.g., cruise passengers fully vaccinated and tested often prior to boarding) - the more likely a positive is to be a false positive.  It has to do with the inherent diagnostic efficiency of the test interacting with the true incidence of the disease in the population being tested.  At some point - almost all negatives are true negatives and positives are rare but no better than a coin flip in predicting a true positive.  The solution is to always re-check positives - hopefully with a replicated test (ie, run the test in duplicate).  If both re-run duplicates are negative then one can be fairly confident that the first positive was a false positive - assuming the subject is not showing symptoms.  If you test positive and have no symptoms - insist on a re-test if it has not already been done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2