"Escalating" My Earlier Post about Excursions

sakigemcam

After a day of research I am super confused and frustrated about planning for our March Caribbean cruise. I need to understand how recent and soon-to-travel cruisers are managing this, as planning is fun for us and recent results have me going in circles. 

Understanding that we all need to be flexible given the state of vaxx status on the islands, but also understanding our pocketbook and travel preferences, I'm trying to build our plan. Here's what I'm seeking to understand how to work around:

1. Some islands are open to on-own tours or outings, but that can change 

2. Some islands currently require ship-only tours, but that can change

3. Ship tours for our itinerary are quite limited, with St. Lucia not even showing options; some options for other ports are already sold out which adds stress

4. Obviously ship tours are expensive - we never do them - we're experienced travelers but often just want a cab to a gorgeous beach. We're tired from work 😉

5. Some islands currently require "government-only approved tours" - what even is that?

6. I've contacted a few resorts for day passes, and even they are saying no due to COVID, even though we are tripled vaxxed with proof (and just returned from Hawaii - a breeze! but of course, U.S.)

7. We are looking forward to the ports - we never stay on the ship and will have 4 glorious sea days to enjoy her

We work full-time plus and free time is limited. Do I need to:

1. Book applicable tour operators and/or make self-guided plans 

2. AND Book ship tours as backup? Again, they seem very limited compared to past years (assume due to COVID restrictions) so few of the options are all that appealing - and of course, they're expensive....

And then cancel as needed? Concerned that some operators won't process refunds, PLUS the added work to keep myself organized!

What has worked for you? Thank you for your insights, 

We have a cruise booked for February 14.

While I am also a planner, I am also aware that travel at this time is  constantly changing.

Because we don't know what itinerary changes might occur or what Covid restrictions may be implemented or possibly lifted, I will not make any plans until just before the departure date.

Such is travel in a pandemic.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

After a day of research I am super confused and frustrated about planning for our March Caribbean cruise. I need to understand how recent and soon-to-travel cruisers are managing this, as planning is fun for us and recent results have me going in circles. 

Understanding that we all need to be flexible given the state of vaxx status on the islands, but also understanding our pocketbook and travel preferences, I'm trying to build our plan. Here's what I'm seeking to understand how to work around:

3. Ship tours for our itinerary are quite limited, with St. Lucia not even showing options; some options for other ports are already sold out which adds stress

4. Obviously ship tours are expensive - we never do them - we're experienced travelers but often just want a cab to a gorgeous beach. We're tired from work 😉

5. Some islands currently require "government-only approved tours" - what even is that?

6. I've contacted a few resorts for day passes, and even they are saying no due to COVID, even though we are tripled vaxxed with proof (and just returned from Hawaii - a breeze! but of course, U.S.)

7. We are looking forward to the ports - we never stay on the ship and will have 4 glorious sea days to enjoy her

2. AND Book ship tours as backup? Again, they seem very limited compared to past years (assume due to COVID restrictions) so few of the options are all that appealing - and of course, they're expensive....

And then cancel as needed? Concerned that some operators won't process refunds, PLUS the added work to keep myself organized!

We're in the same boat, so to speak... our cruise is January 4th.  We NEVER take cruise excursions as we really don't like the cattle herding and bus rides.  We did book one snorkeling excursion in Barbados thru Celebrity but don't want to snorkel in every port... lol

At this point, we are just sitting here hoping that things open up a little bit.  Always make private excursion plans in advance, but don't want to get stuck on the ship for 7 out of our 10 day cruise.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

The previous post you made on this exact same subject, had links, suggestions etc, why another "escalated" post?

For our B2B we booked ships tours in 4 ports where they were required.  There were 4 others that DYI was allowed, this was about 45 days pre cruise.  Then 1 port got dropped ( had a ships tour booked) and replaced with a sea day, another went from ship only excursions to DYI allowed and we cancelled the ships excursion.  DH did 3 ships excursions 1 of which was in a port we could DYI,  I did one.  

I actually stayed on the ship for all but 2 days and plan to do the same in February.

DH got off in 5 ports but came back very quickly, things closed or few guides or tours to book at the port. 

I just looked at the X website and there are more ports open to DYI than there were back in September when we were doing our planning.

• Like 1

I understand your frustration but equally at this time if we are lucky enough to cruise we have to see ports of call as ‘likely’ destinations and all excursions booked as ‘preliminary’ bookings. We will have no complaints or issues if our two next cruises have alterations and some ports are cancelled or substituted.

If you book reliable private tours with companies in ports with clear cancellation policies and pay on credit cards to add additional security you probably are securing  ‘safe’ options. You can then double up your options by booking Celebrity excursions knowing you can cancel them nearer the time if your private tours seem likely to go ahead…

Alternatively, you can sit back a month or two and draft a few provisional plans which is what we intend to do.

We have always been planners and always want to make the most of where we go but we are not in normal times…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

We have a cruise booked for February 14.

While I am also a planner, I am also aware that travel at this time is  constantly changing.

Because we don't know what itinerary changes might occur or what Covid restrictions may be implemented or possibly lifted, I will not make any plans until just before the departure date.

Such is travel in a pandemic.

Other than our next cruise being in March, your post matches my thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

Over thinking it. You booked it cruise is it all about excursions.  I’m on one starting tomorrow. Nothing booked will play it as it goes.  I work full time also very demanding schedule my time off way in advance. At this point I’m happy to be on a cruise not working not worrying about laundry house etc. being overly served with great service.  It’s a get away to relax not be busy worry about what I’m doing. Personally don’t care what day it is.  

• Like 1

Have you said yet what your ports are. Yes, in the age of covid everything can change. But I would plan for the ports as the regulations exist today and hope for the best. That’s really all you can do these days. 

we recently took an international trip where we went to two countries. When we booked you had to be covid tested for both countries. In the months leading up to our trip, both countries changed requirements several times; including dropping the covid testing requirement. By the time we traveled, both reinstated the testing requirement. You can’t plan for the changes. There will be changes, Just be flexible.

Cruises lines are not giving us the exact information. I am planning a Mediterranean cruise in March and I do not with to take ship-only excursions. I like to do my own things, except if I want to go far from the ship. This is discouraging and I will probably cancel and postpone my cruise to next September

6 hours ago, twincheryl said:

We're in the same boat, so to speak... our cruise is January 4th.  We NEVER take cruise excursions as we really don't like the cattle herding and bus rides.  We did book one snorkeling excursion in Barbados thru Celebrity but don't want to snorkel in every port... lol

At this point, we are just sitting here hoping that things open up a little bit.  Always make private excursion plans in advance, but don't want to get stuck on the ship for 7 out of our 10 day cruise.  

We are literally in your same boat as we will be on the Jan 4th cruise. We too are waiting and watching

• Like 1