The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

And that is exactly what my comment referred to originally.  The Gatwick North Terminal in person testing site is closed on those days, although the drive through is open.  Checking availability the next open sites are mainly towards central London. 

Surely could still do a test which is waiting at home and then pop it into a priority post box.  I do get your point that not everyone will be able to use the quickest option of release from quarantine, but that is how it is, but will not necessarily take be a lot longer.  Even the most reliable test company could loose a test or have a test malfunction,  so would have to be repeated, and that is something we all risk with traveling now. 

• Like 1

Of course that's a matter of choice for individuals.  Due to work commitments for my husband we need the quickest release.  It's not a problem in any way, I just find it odd that the testing sites which were being wound down due to LFT being prominent have not been asked to open up quicker. 

Edited by Megabear2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Of course that's a matter of choice for individuals.  Due to work commitments for my husband we need the quickest release.  It's not a problem in any way, I just find it odd that the testing sites which were being wound down due to LFT have not been asked to hear up quicker. 

But pcr testing was only announced a week ago and aren't most of the sites privately operated so it's up to the businesses to get them up and running.

In the town where I live we have a new NHS testing site (which obviously can't be used for travel purposes) which i saw this morning. It's a small town so unlikely to be a one off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Very good question.  I'm already bemused at those arriving over a bank holiday being told to travel miles from their arrival for an in person PCR test. I am beginning to believe the Government has no idea of practicalities.  

We live 3 hours drive ish  from Southampton. Longer if traffic is bad. 

We would normally stop a couple of times

At the very least we would need to stop once at services for my wife to have a toilet break!

I have to think they would let us drive home but that comes with a risk of transmission to others when it's a long journey

Ok, this is obviously a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway! If the requirement is now for pre-departure testing, why are people talking about how they can / will arrange testing on arrival back in the U.K. or at home. That’s too late isn’t it? Isn’t the whole idea that you test whilst still overseas within the 48 hours prior to you arriving back in the U.K.? 🤔

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Ok, this is obviously a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway! If the requirement is now for pre-departure testing, why are people talking about how they can / will arrange testing on arrival back in the U.K. or at home. That’s too late isn’t it? Isn’t the whole idea that you test whilst still overseas within the 48 hours prior to you arriving back in the U.K.? 🤔

Has pre departure testing replaced the 2 day post arrival test then?

As I understand it, people need to be tested 48 hours before they return to the U.K. and then again within 48 hours of actual arrival in the U.K. .

I think there’s an assumption that P&O will arrange the former, but the latter still needs to be arranged by the traveller 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Has pre departure testing replaced the 2 day post arrival test then?

That’s my understanding John. It’s very confusing though as there is reference to ‘within 2 days of arriving in the UK’ but that’s post departure, not pre-departure. Makes no sense to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

Edited by Selbourne

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Both are required pre departure and post arrival.

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve just read it all again and agree that’s what is now required. Two tests, one of which must be done before you return to the U.K. The test within 48 hours of return must still happen but is in addition to the one you take whilst still overseas. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve just read it all again and agree that’s what is now required. Two tests, one of which must be done before you return to the U.K. The test within 48 hours of return must still happen but is in addition to the one you take whilst still overseas. 

Because the new variant appears to transmit more rapidly than previous ones, the two tests are required.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

So what happens if, for example, you’re due to fly home from Barbados and test positive? You won’t be allowed on the plane, where do you quarantine and will insurance pay? Probably not 

1 minute ago, Cristaltips said:

So what happens if, for example, you’re due to fly home from Barbados and test positive? You won’t be allowed on the plane, where do you quarantine and will insurance pay? Probably not 

That question applies to all holiday makers, not just those on cruises.

1 minute ago, Cristaltips said:

I’m afraid that I have absolutely no idea whatsoever, which is one of the reasons why we shall be holidaying in the U.K. for the time being 😂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

You need pre-departure testing and if visiting the Caribbean a PCR test 3 days before arrival. On returning to the UK instead of as was before the 7th December a PCR test two days after arrival in the UK you now need a PCR or LFT two days before arrival in the UK. Not sure if you are sailing into Southampton how this will/can be organised, but obviously flying will require the test before take off to the UK.

Just now, Cruisemeister2002 said:

On returning to the UK instead of as was before the 7th December a PCR test two days after arrival in the UK you now need a PCR or LFT two days before arrival in the UK

The test within two days of returning is still required.  

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As I understand it, people need to be tested 48 hours before they return to the U.K. and then again within 48 hours of actual arrival in the U.K. .

I think there’s an assumption that P&O will arrange the former, but the latter still needs to be arranged by the traveller 

I believe the two days before arrival has superseded the two days after. Therefore only the two days before is required. How this will be carried out who knows. 

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That question applies to all holiday makers, not just those on cruises.

I am assuming that if you are on a roundtrip Southampton cruise, then if you have a positive test you will just have to return home immediately after disembarking and self isolate until negative.  So not much change for us pensioners really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I believe the two days before arrival has superseded the two days after. Therefore only the two days before is required. How this will be carried out who knows. 

That’s what I originally thought, but you have to do both. The new pre departure test is in addition to the one that you do when you get home, not instead of it. 

9 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

The following is from the UK Gov website: it clearly says, "must also", so the test after arrival is still required.

In light of this emerging evidence and the changing global picture with regards to the spread of Omicron, from 4am on Tuesday, anyone wishing to travel to the UK from countries and territories not on the red list must also show proof of a negative PCR or lateral flow (LFD) pre-departure test, taken no earlier than 48 hours before departure. This applies to vaccinated passengers and children aged 12 and above.

For various reasons, cruising is currently off the cards, along with all holidays, but I do try to keep very much in touch with what's going on in the hope that things will improve (and there are quite a few positive signs.

Not the least of which is the news that the first at-home treatment for Covid will reportedly be offered to patients by Christmas by way of an antiviral pill to help protect the most vulnerable from the omicron variant.  Lagevrio aka Molnupiravir, licensed in the UK last month, is planned to be delivered to clinically vulnerable and immunosuppressed patients within as little as 48 hours of them testing positive for Covid.

A bit, I suppose, like the shingles antiviral - take it soon enough and it's pretty effective.

Having said all that the travel situation at the moment looks so complex that it's almost impenetrable, because of all the variables.  My guess is, though, that it may all be very short lived if the latest reports of community transmission within the UK are correct, which I'm sure they are.  The action was almost certainly too late to be effective, and if that proves to be the case the travel restrictions may well all be removed in the foreseeable future.

Pure speculation, of course, but perhaps echoing the views of Professor Mark Woolhouse that "I think that may be a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

You need pre-departure testing and if visiting the Caribbean a PCR test 3 days before arrival. On returning to the UK instead of as was before the 7th December a PCR test two days after arrival in the UK you now need a PCR or LFT two days before arrival in the UK. Not sure if you are sailing into Southampton how this will/can be organised, but obviously flying will require the test before take off to the UK.

Regarding sailing into Southampton I am aware that before this latest twist Saga were  offering all passengers a PCR test onboard after arrival but before disembarkation at Southampton, at no extra charge. Results would be emailed when available, this apparently satisfied the within two days after arrival requirement. P&O could do the same. As regards the new within two days before arrival requirement a PCR test could be given onboard two days before as well, although I fail to see what purpose would be served by having two tests onboard other than satisfying red tape.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The following is from the UK Gov website: it clearly says, "must also", so the test after arrival is still required.

In light of this emerging evidence and the changing global picture with regards to the spread of Omicron, from 4am on Tuesday, anyone wishing to travel to the UK from countries and territories not on the red list must also show proof of a negative PCR or lateral flow (LFD) pre-departure test, taken no earlier than 48 hours before departure. This applies to vaccinated passengers and children aged 12 and above.

Wowzz. Your post is correct. Pre arrival in the UK and post arrival tests are required. Isolate until post arrival negative test result.If coming from a red list country only UK and Irish citizen allowed in and hotel quarantine. The red list requirement has been since 28 November. I would urge folk who may be affected to check the official web site and to not rely on well meaning, but often wrong posts on here.

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Wowzz. Your post is correct. Pre arrival in the UK and post arrival tests are required. Isolate until post arrival negative test result.If coming from a red list country only UK and Irish citizen allowed in and hotel quarantine. The red list requirement has been since 28 November. I would urge folk who may be affected to check the official web site and to not rely on well meaning, but often wrong posts on here.

Yes I agree with you and wowzz, been on line all day checking and rechecking so two test to be done on return to England that’s ok for normal holidays but bit of a pickle for those on cruises, P&O need to set up testing on board to help ease all those flying home straight after a cruise, glad I’m not on one until February when things should be clearer.

• Like 1