Another Problem for Canadian Cruisers

Fouremco

47 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

Yes - sorry - but the rules will be changing when all international travelers will be tested except for those from the US.   So while this is true today we're trying to figure out what to do with a return trip on Dec 21.  The random testing doesn't bother me - it's if we have to test in YYZ, then wait for results before coming home to YVR.  If I harken back to when the borders first opened you had to hold up where you landed as you waited for test results.   ugh.

I understand how you’re feeling as I am re-entering the day after you. Right now, as it stands, flights originating from the US are exempt from mandatory testing so I’m not going to add it to my list of things to worry about. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We just did this exact trip a few days ago.  No real problems at all. At check-in at FLL, the AC agent will confirm if you have  your ArriveCan receipts, though ours didn't want to see them. Upon arrival at YUL, as you approach the customs hall, an ADM(?) person will ask you to show them your ArriveCan receipt on your phone. Don't know what happens to those who could not do ArriveCan. Once down the escalators into the customs hall, there are a lot of terminals for the passport scan etc. When we went through, the NEXUS line was a lot longer than the non-NEXUS line, since there were FAR more terminals in the non-NEXUS area. Once in front the CBSA agent, we answered the usual questions, he put a large blue dot on the outside of our passports, and off we went. After collecting our bags (45 minutes after landing, and that with priority stickers on them), and just as we were about to leave the customs area, another ADM rep demanded to see  the color of the dot on our passports. Our blue dots let us get through, but I suspect that some colors were probably the ones who had been selected for the random test? It wasn't CBSA related as we'd already technically left the customs area.  All in all, a bit more bureaucratic hurdles to jump through, but nothing too bad. Hope you had a great cruise.

CBSA is in charge until you actually go, out the doors of the Border Controlarea.

2 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

Ya - booking a hotel right now.    FFS

I thought it was only those from the 10 counties that had to quarantine in a government hotel.

I thought we'd be sent home to isolate.

I am so confused.

I fly home on January 2nd and expect to have to test on arrival in Ottawa and be told to go home and stay there until my test comes back.

I will tell them I went to Honduras and Mexico but flew in and out of Orlando.

I am taking sick days, which I luckily can take. I can not work from home but I'm fine using up sick days.

3 hours ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Doesn't look updated yet.  Still says 72 hours for test going into US for January trip.  

I think it will take a bit of time for the new info to be processed and updated.   

I think then only  update it once a day which is why I would say you have to check the date they say it was updated, especially when things are every changing. It now states Dec 03 update, and shows "1 day  before departure" for flights departing Monday or later.

Edited by rodndonna

3 hours ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Doesn't look updated yet.  Still says 72 hours for test going into US for January trip.  

I think it will take a bit of time for the new info to be processed and updated.   

36 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I think then only  update it once a day which is why I would say you have to check the date they say it was updated, especially when things are every changing. It now states Dec 03 update, and shows "1 day  before departure" for flights departing Monday or later.

AC website has been updated:

1231515354_ScreenShot2021-12-03at3_21_07PM.thumb.png.1214863dee3dcd741d4baf01efcb031b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamloops50 said:

CBSA is in charge until you actually go, out the doors of the Border Controlarea.

Not to split hairs, but when we were asked to show the dots on our passports on our way out, we actually were in the doorway between the CBSA "area" and the airport proper. Obviously, we were still under the "Control" of CBSA.

Clarification on travelers with connecting flights clarified by the Health Minister:

Travellers coming from non-U.S. foreign destinations need an arrival test
Once a fully vaccinated passenger arrives at a Canadian airport from a non-U.S. foreign destination, they will either be swabbed by a public health nurse or get a take-home test.

That traveller must then self-isolate at home or at their designated quarantine destination (such as a hotel) while they await the results of the test. It may take up to three days to get a result.

If that traveller gets a negative result, they're free to leave self-isolation and move about as they normally would. If the test is positive, they must stay in quarantine for 14 days.

If a passenger has a connecting flight, they get swabbed or collect a take-home test and then continue on to their final destination.

If, for example, an inbound passenger from Hong Kong arrives in Vancouver to catch a connecting flight to Kelowna, B.C., that traveller would get tested or pick up their at-home test in Vancouver before proceeding to the connecting flight. That passenger would then have to self-isolate in Kelowna while they await the results of the test.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arrival-testing-regime-explainer-1.6272919

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Not to split hairs, but when we were asked to show the dots on our passports on our way out, we actually were in the doorway between the CBSA "area" and the airport proper. Obviously, we were still under the "Control" of CBSA.

Again, not to split hairs, but CBSA's authority doesn't end at the exit doors from the control area. Or the exit doors from the airport for that matter. While most passenger interactions with CBSA members take place within the control area, that area is designed primarily to prevent mingling between arriving passengers and members of the public. It is not an area to which CBSA authority is limited.

8 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

Clarification on travelers with connecting flights clarified by the Health Minister:

Once a fully vaccinated passenger arrives at a Canadian airport from a non-U.S. foreign destination, they will either be swabbed by a public health nurse or get a take-home test.

That traveller must then self-isolate at home or at their designated quarantine destination (such as a hotel) while they await the results of the test. It may take up to three days to get a result.

If that traveller gets a negative result, they're free to leave self-isolation and move about as they normally would. If the test is positive, they must stay in quarantine for 14 days.

If a passenger has a connecting flight, they get swabbed or collect a take-home test and then continue on to their final destination.

If, for example, an inbound passenger from Hong Kong arrives in Vancouver to catch a connecting flight to Kelowna, B.C., that traveller would get tested or pick up their at-home test in Vancouver before proceeding to the connecting flight. That passenger would then have to self-isolate in Kelowna while they await the results of the test.

You beat me to it.  I just read this and about to send the link to everyone.  Still unclear regarding cruise ships arriving in Fort Lauderdale. I would think if you get tested PCR while getting off a cruise and arrived home the same day, you will not need to be tested again.  Cross your fingers.  Make sense. 

• Like 1

Sounds they have not considered people coming off cruises at all - visiting several different countries - I suspect once they figure it out cruisers will be added to the list of people having to take a test when returning to Canada....  If as per the example the person from Paris via US to Toronto has to get tested, I would assume those of us visiting the Caribbean or other spots might fall into the same category?

I am anxious to get any further clarification on this....

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

You beat me to it.  I just read this and about to send the link to everyone.  Still unclear regarding cruise ships arriving in Fort Lauderdale. I would think if you get tested PCR while getting off a cruise and arrived home the same day, you will not need to be tested again.  Cross your fingers.  Make sense. 

But what does make sense with all of these knee jerk government regulations.😖 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Again, not to split hairs, but CBSA's authority doesn't end at the exit doors from the control area. Or the exit doors from the airport for that matter. While most passenger interactions with CBSA members take place within the control area, that area is designed primarily to prevent mingling between arriving passengers and members of the public. It is not an area to which CBSA authority is limited.

;o) I would imagine that if anyone decided to, say, lie on their ArriveCan submission they would probably find that  the CBSA authority extended right to their own front door.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Sounds they have not considered people coming off cruises at all - visiting several different countries - I suspect once they figure it out cruisers will be added to the list of people having to take a test when returning to Canada....  If as per the example the person from Paris via US to Toronto has to get tested, I would assume those of us visiting the Caribbean or other spots might fall into the same category?

I am anxious to get any further clarification on this....

Currently, there referring to air travellers, which could change.  What gets me is that I may have to be “tested twice in one day”. We fly out the same day the ships arrives. And secondly, I have to take more time off work.

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

;o) I would imagine that if anyone decided to, say, lie on their ArriveCan submission they would probably find that  the CBSA authority extended right to their own front door.

Very possibly! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the link, it does a great job of reinforcing the point I was making in post #4. 

While CBSA doesn't offer a similar online record that you can access, you can request a written report. For a general idea of the information gathered and retained by CBSA, and with whom it is shared, check this link:  https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/eedcu-cudes-eng.html

That is why I posted the link, to show how easy it is to see your comings and goings in the US.

Edited by Magicat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Dots?

6 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

Glad for the clarification but wondering at the point of it all. 

On 12/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, Fouremco said:

I'd think that this is something they might look out for. It would be very easy to simply "forget" that you were even on a cruise, and claim that you spent your week or two in Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Of course, CBSA can easily verify through CBP whether you exited the US, other than back to Canada. All these integrated systems make it so easy to nail you down if they are curious for any reason. 

True…. Your passport will indicate that you were out of the country and that you reentered the US via a port.  You still need to go through customs when getting off the ship.  The system will flag you. Not worth whatever fine is related to that. 

Although there is an inconvenience and unless you had to go to work a few days, being in your home isolating is much better than when they were forcing folks into a hotel to isolate.  Glass half full…it is what it is… 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lx200gps said:

And maybe right into the basement bathroom where they were hiding. 😟

Ok, maybe they weren't hiding. Maybe they were splitting hairs. 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Everyone returning to Canada needs to get a PCR test (whether or not coming from a cruise) - so everyone is already tested and according to this new 'poilcy' all will have to be tested again - either at the airport or with a home test.....  I think this doesn't make any sense either - but since when were government rules ever logical?  LOL

On 12/3/2021 at 7:22 AM, Chickadees said:

We fly to Montreal tomorrow from FLL after our cruise. Will let you know what happens when we arrive. 

On Royal and had PCR test yesterday for flight home. Results within 6 hours. Very organized. 

On a side note, did Royal still offer the PCR test free of charge?  Someone was told by an RCCL representative they contacted via Facebook that Canadians have to pay for the PCR test.  My in-laws did not have to pay 2 weeks ago.

32 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

On a side note, did Royal still offer the PCR test free of charge?  Someone was told by an RCCL representative they contacted via Facebook that Canadians have to pay for the PCR test.  My in-laws did not have to pay 2 weeks ago.

I'm skeptical on trusting the people manning the FB chat. I dont know for sure of course but I thought I saw other posts where people just got their tests free of charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Everyone returning to Canada needs to get a PCR test (whether or not coming from a cruise) - so everyone is already tested and according to this new 'poilcy' all will have to be tested again - either at the airport or with a home test.....  I think this doesn't make any sense either - but since when were government rules ever logical?  LOL

Only those who have been in the 10 prohibited South African countries in the past 14 days have mandatory arrival testing and quarantine.  Everyone else is exempt, with the exception of those who have been selected for random testing.  All that is required, at this time, is a PCR test within 72 hours of arrival.

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Only those who have been in the 10 prohibited South African countries in the past 14 days have mandatory arrival testing and quarantine.  Everyone else is exempt, with the exception of those who have been selected for random testing.  All that is required, at this time, is a PCR test within 72 hours of arrival.

Yes, at this time, but the devil's in the details. This will change all in the coming days according to a Public Health Agency of Canada news release dated November 30. When, exactly, remain a mystery:

Moving forward, border testing surveillance will be adjusted based on the latest available evidence to further reduce the risk of importation of this variant. In the coming days, all fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air from departure points other than the United States will be subject to arrival testing. Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to quarantine while they await the results of their arrival test.

For the full news release:  https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/11/government-of-canada-introduces-additional-measures-to-address-covid-19-omicron-variant-of-concern.html

Quite understandably, when the Ministers of Health, Transport and Public Safety made their joint announcement of these additional border measures, there were subsequent questions about the implementation dates. Many news media reports on the announcement have added to the confusion by having major headline and multiple paragraphs discussing the new protocols, with the implementation date only mentioned in passing well into the story. Without reading the full story, it would be quite easy to assume that all elements were being implemented immediately.

• Like 2