Need Noise Canceling Earbuds for Sleep

helen haywood

I’ve read on another thread about some noise canceling earbuds people have used to drown out snoring partners.  

Can’t remember the brand.  I really really need them!!  They were somewhat pricey I remember, but after the night I just went thru decided Mr. Log Sawer can buy me a Christmas present…

Any recommendations gratefully accepted!

Edited by helen haywood
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mom says said:

I have the Bose noise canceling ear buds. Expensive, but I've been able to wear them on very long (Trans Pacifiic) flights without discomfort.

How are they for sleeping if you are a side sleeper and your ear is jammed against the pillow? 

These beeswax plugs can mold right into your ear and do an amazing job blocking snoring.  The downside is you have to be sure your hair does not get caught up in them, they will stick.

Also make sure you have heard all you want to hear for a while before putting them on !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G5W3KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may have read my post.    What I was reporting were not noise-cancelling earbuds but Bose's product called Bose Sleep Buds 2

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/wellness/noise_masking_sleepbuds/noise-masking-sleepbuds-ii.html#v=noise_masking_sleepbuds_ii_white

They don't have noise cancellation but create white, grey and sounds that block noise.  My spouse can be a loud snorer and they REALLY WORK.    They hard really different and also work on calming your mind.   They are really tiny and once in your you can even sleep on your side and don't feel them.  It is important to try different size tips even if different size for each ear.   I've never had them fall out.

I often use them on garbage pickup day and don't hear a thing.  

This Tube video explains them more than me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jelayne said:

What do earplug recommendations have to do with Celebrity

One place to get recommendation would be Consumer Reports.

I think she was asking here because I talked about them in one of my Live Reports.   You are correct this isn't really the right place.

I think people ask questions on this list because they want the input of those whose opinions they value. 

I would rather read a few reviews of hotels from cruisers than many reviews on another review site because the people on the other site often have a much different viewpoint or have an agenda.

So, one of these days I will splurge and buy DH those $250 white noise earplugs so that he will quit complaining about my alleged snoring, and I know that they are well recommended because they come from someone I don't know, but whose opinion I value.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, rotoal said:

I think people ask questions on this list because they want the input of those whose opinions they value. 

I would rather read a few reviews of hotels from cruisers than many reviews on another review site because the people on the other site often have a much different viewpoint or have an agenda.

So, one of these days I will splurge and buy DH those $250 white noise earplugs so that he will quit complaining about my alleged snoring, and I know that they are well recommended because they come from someone I don't know, but whose opinion I value.

I thought they were expensive, and yes they are but on sale now for $199.   I find some of the sounds are also good for getting my mind to just calm down and drift in an Zen type state.    To me now that I have used them for 9 months I would pay twice the price for them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mfs2k said:

How are they for sleeping if you are a side sleeper and your ear is jammed against the pillow? 

I found them very comfortable. Those long flights were on lie flat BC seats, and I'm a side sleeper. And according to my ENT I've got really small ear canals.  No problems with these.

My husband claims I snore as well.  Yes, but it doesn’t keep YOU awake.  And poor guy, his default sleeping position is on his back…which is the major position for trumpeting to the heavens.  I hate to keep shaking him awake and asking him to turn over.  I’m buying the Bose buds tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

13 hours ago, mom says said:

I found them very comfortable. Those long flights were on lie flat BC seats, and I'm a side sleeper. And according to my ENT I've got really small ear canals.  No problems with these.

I think the key is to make sure you have the right size silicon ear bud.    The Bose Sleep comes with 3 and I found I needed a large in one ear and a medium in the other.    I'm a side sleeper and they are so small they don't bother me but some report they are bothered.

Suggest buying on Amazon and if not happy in 30 day return them for a full refund.  Or other outlets that are easy with returns.    I bough mine as a factory refurbished much cheaper and still had the trial period.    

13 hours ago, helen haywood said:

My husband claims I snore as well.  Yes, but it doesn’t keep YOU awake.  And poor guy, his default sleeping position is on his back…which is the major position for trumpeting to the heavens.  I hate to keep shaking him awake and asking him to turn over.  I’m buying the Bose buds tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

They take a little while to find a  noise that you find restful and also covers the sound.   One of my favorites is called  tranquility.   The link below is some example of the sounds.   I find the ones for relaxing better for me.  Then you have to adjust the volume (he has the volume way too high.    There are now about 30 more than in the review

Many of the nature ones I find annoying.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:16 AM, Jim_Iain said:

You may have read my post.    What I was reporting were not noise-cancelling earbuds but Bose's product called Bose Sleep Buds 2

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/wellness/noise_masking_sleepbuds/noise-masking-sleepbuds-ii.html#v=noise_masking_sleepbuds_ii_white

They don't have noise cancellation but create white, grey and sounds that block noise.  My spouse can be a loud snorer and they REALLY WORK.    They hard really different and also work on calming your mind.   They are really tiny and once in your you can even sleep on your side and don't feel them.  It is important to try different size tips even if different size for each ear.   I've never had them fall out.

I often use them on garbage pickup day and don't hear a thing.  

This Tube video explains them more than me.

My wife purchased these per Jim's recommendation and she loves them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

My wife purchased these per Jim's recommendation and she loves them.

Today was Garbage Collection day and I put them on last night and didn't hear a sound.  I live in a good size Townhouse community and the trash day noise is early and noisy. 

Curious as to what sound she uses.    I've found 2 or 3 that I really find both relaxing and masking.

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

I use disposable foam 3M Classic earplugs.  

They don't work for me.   I guess it depends on the level of noise you  are trying to block out.    I use to use the  Mack's Silicon and they were about 90% effective but would usually have to sleep upside down in the bed for distance.

For those experiencing snoring or a partner who snores, I strongly suggest getting a sleep study.  My husband has complained of my snoring for years.  I did a sleep study and was shocked to find out that I have severe sleep apnea and hypoxia (low oxygen), with my breathing stopping for up to 30 seconds at a time.  This can have very adverse impacts on your heart and other organs.  I put it off for years because the thought of going to a sleep center was so unappealing but I recently found an in-home sleep study option that was very professional and thorough with a follow up online appointment with a board certified sleep medicine MD to explain my results and prescribe a CPAP.  

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, helen haywood said:

I’ve read on another thread about some noise canceling earbuds people have used to drown out snoring partners.  

Can’t remember the brand.  I really really need them!!  They were somewhat pricey I remember, but after the night I just went thru decided Mr. Log Sawer can buy me a Christmas present…

Any recommendations gratefully accepted!

hh - I accidentally discovered that if I use "ocean waves" sound on my phone/google mini for a few hours the snoring is reduced dramatically!!!

My Jabra buds have noise cancelling on them, yet I find the buds fall out as I Am a tosser and turner when I sleep... LOL Maybe due to the snoring???

It is a soothing sound, at least to me and I would tend to believe that 'sub-consciously' it is soothing to the partner who snores and relieves some of it.

I can attest that it relaxes me as I fall off to sleep, maybe I fall into such a deep sleep that I do not hear it any longer??? LOL

How long this will last? We shall see... a good start, never-the-less.

bon voyage

What I’ve been using is a White Noise app on my iPhone.  Plugged in all night so as to not run the battery down.  But lately due to various life problems I haven’t been sleeping so well…and in that case I’m hearing more of the log sawing than I would if I could drop off into a deep sleep.  I just got a notification my Bose package has been delivered!!  I’ll let you know how they work…but only briefly as I’ve been chastised that this is not the place for this question/issue.