Might be done with Celebrity/ beware the upgrade

cruiser61262

52 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'm sorry this happened to you.  The lesson seems to be, get everything documented.

I just booked a cruise.  I went back and forth with my TA because I wanted everything documented which is what I got.

Same. Get it in writing 

18 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

They were "rolling the dice" as far as not knowing what specific cabin they would wind up in but (unless I am misunderstanding the OP) when the guarantee cleared they were assigned a lower category than Sunset Veranda which would violate Celebrity's own guarantee policy. That's the problem. 

I get that. They still decided to take the chance with a guarantee and admits it is her/his fault. Still rolled the dice. 🎲🎲 "If" Celebrity is in the wrong on this issue then I agree Celebrity needs to make it right with @cruiser61262

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

So you decided not to roll the dice, good on you then.  Enjoy the cruise 

I don't like guarantees because I (usually) like to be midship and a guarantee, can't, well, guaranty that.

I can’t quite see where all of you are saying they rolled the dice. The OP got off the phone knowing they would be assigned an SV. Being assigned an obstructed view IV never crossed their mind. According to the OP they have been sailing with X for 30 years. Call me naive, but the OP trusted X to live up to what they promised. The best way for X to make their mistake up to the OP is to give them an upgrade to a suite. It’s really hard reading the comments from know it all cynics and X apologists who come up with cutesy phrases like “Rolling the Dice”. The OP never imagined a company like X would ever treat a customer either new or repeat in such a shabby manner. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

I can’t quite see where all of you are saying they rolled the dice. The OP got off the phone knowing they would be assigned an SV. Being assigned an obstructed view IV never crossed their mind. According to the OP they have been sailing with X for 30 years. Call me naive, but the OP trusted X to live up to what they promised. The best way for X to make their mistake up to the OP is to give them an upgrade to a suite. It’s really hard reading the comments from know it all cynics and X apologists who come up with cutesy phrases like “Rolling the Dice”. The OP never imagined a company like X would ever treat a customer either new or repeat in such a shabby manner. 

I'm new to Celebrity.  Can you explain what a guarantee room is?  And is it common to be upgraded from a porthole veranda to a suite?  Is that something anyone can do?

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

If one decides on “rolling the dice” then one needs to accept the roll as it falls, way to many blaming and whining when it does not fall exactly into place, according to the dice roller.

By this bizarre logic then no cruiser could ever express displeasure with a cruise line cancelling all ports of their cruise for whatever reason and substituting only with days at sea because their terms and conditions give them the freedom to do that and the passenger was “rolling the dice” when they booked. And no cruiser could ever be upset when they find their reservation cancelled due to the cruise line overbooking because that is their operating policy and the passenger was “rolling the dice” when they booked. I mean, give me a break. 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 10

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I get that. They still decided to take the chance with a guarantee and admits it is her/his fault. Still rolled the dice. 🎲🎲 "If" Celebrity is in the wrong on this issue then I agree Celebrity needs to make it right with @cruiser61262

They took a chance with getting any possible cabin within the Sunset Veranda category or higher, not being put in a lower category. I mean are you “taking a chance” if you booked a veranda with a cabin number but the cruise line overbooks and decides to put you in an inside cabin? You are aware how the guarantee program works, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

By this bizarre logic then no cruiser could ever express displeasure with a cruise line cancelling all ports of their cruise for whatever reason and substituting only with days at sea because their terms and conditions give them the freedom to do that and the passenger was “rolling the dice” when they booked. And no cruiser could ever be upset when they find their reservation cancelled due to the cruise line overbooking because that is their operating policy and the passenger was “rolling the dice” when they booked. I mean, give me a break. 🙄🙄🙄

You're really stretching with that example.  More like weather causes cancellation of a port (say Falklands) and pax demand a full refund or upgrade to a suite "for the inconvenience".  No, I don't think so.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

You're really stretching with that example.  More like weather causes cancellation of a port (say Falklands) and pax demand a full refund or upgrade to a suite "for the inconvenience".  No, I don't think so.

I said nothing about compensation. I talked only about the customer expressing their dissatisfaction. That is what the OP did. They were only asking to be given what they had signed up for with the guarantee program. And they are now being told by other posters here to stop complaining even though Celebrity did not (apparently) abide by their guarantee program policy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruiser61262 said:

In January 2020 I booked a port hole verandah cabin on the Apex for April on 2022.  I booked this because my husband and I did not like the infinite veranda when we sailed the Edge.  I felt that this might be some semblance of a traditional veranda without the expense of a sunset veranda.  About 3 months ago I started having second thoughts about this and called Celebrity to see if there were any Sunset Verandas available for our sailing and the gentleman on the phone said that a block of rooms had been returned by a travel agent and there were some available.  He stated that because they had just been returned he could not give me a cabin number but that they were available.  He stated that it would go in as a "Sunset Veranda Guarantee" until the room was assigned.  I specifically told him that I did not want to switch to a Guarantee because I would lose all my perks.  He stated that I would not lose them because there was a room and it was just how it had to go into the system.  He told me that Celebrity would contact me with the room number.  I agreed to the new price and my port hole veranda reservation was cancelled. Celebrity never contacted me with the cabin number.  I logged into my account the other day to see if the room had been assigned yet.  They gave me an Obstructed View Infinite Verandah room on deck 6!!  I called them and they tried to tell me that there were no longer Sunset Veranda rooms available and this was an Upgrade from the Sunset Veranda.  Do they think I am an idiot?  They gave me a cheaper category.  I asked to speak to a supervisor.  To make a long story short, the Supervisor actually listened to the tape of my phone call and basically stated that what I told her occurred was true but  I should not have gotten off the phone without a cabin number so it was my fault.  She said that the call center person I interacted with would be sent for further training.   She did state that when I upgraded they had changed my cabin to a nonrefundable deposit but they would refund me all my money if I wanted to cancel.  Thanks for nothing Celebrity.  I think I am done with you.  After all the changes to Captain's Club benefits my Elite perks are about as good as the paper they are written on.  I sent an email to Celebrity and am waiting for a reply.  I have until January to get my refund.  Does not look good.... this is not the Fantasy/Celebrity cruise line that use to value loyalty.  Thanks for letting me vent!

Thanks for posting your experience although I am very sorry that it happened to you.  Keep pestering Celebrity because they should make it right for you especially since their recording verified their mistake.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I'm new to Celebrity.  Can you explain what a guarantee room is?  And is it common to be upgraded from a porthole veranda to a suite?  Is that something anyone can do?

Hello Zitsky:   The category of "Guarantee" is when you are booking "Guaranteed space" onboard the ship as well as Guaranteed "Class of cabin or HIGHER".   For example.  IF you book a Sunset Guarantee and the cruiseline cannot honor this, then in the terms and conditions, they must provide you a cabin of a "higher" level.   Guarantees, depending on category you book can be the worst placement in that category, like balcony, but with partially obstructed view.....or a connecting room.  These are undesirable for most, however the guarantee can and often works in everyones favour.  ALSO, once your cabin is assigned as a guarantee, you are still able to change that cabin if another you prefer is available.   In this case, Celebrity made the mistake and Celebrity needs to stand up and fix it.   I would personally write a letter to LLP (president of celebrity) as she is tough, but she doesn't like to see her passengers given the run around when Celebrity has clearly dropped the ball.  Let me also be clear....AT NO TIME and in NO Terms And Conditions does it eve say a Guarantee can provide you a lower cabin category.   This is a sales Snafu....and sales wants her to go away, this Person should fight this to the top.   Right is right and she is correct that she is being treated poorly.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

This is probably irrelevant to you now but technically an Infinite Veranda is an upgrade from a Sunset Veranda. Maybe not in popularity with some but on the pricing structure.

Is that true? I just looked up pricing on two random Apex dates in 2023 and both showed Sunset Veranda pricing higher than Infinite Veranda.

• Like 4

I booked this cruise with a fully refundable deposit because I usually book my cruises 2 years in advance and never know what might happen.  I can cancel before January and get all my money refunded to me.  I am not asking for anything I did not pay for.  I was promised a sunset veranda.  I did not care what deck it was on.  Let’s not forget that the person I dealt with has been supposedly referred to further training. In my opinion Celebrity right there admitted to being at fault.  As long as there are no SV cabins available, I see no way for Celebrity to make this right.  

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not bizarre, cruiser’s can and should be free to express their displeasure.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

They took a chance with getting any possible cabin within the Sunset Veranda category or higher, not being put in a lower category. I mean are you “taking a chance” if you booked a veranda with a cabin number but the cruise line overbooks and decides to put you in an inside cabin? You are aware how the guarantee program works, right?

I know exactly how the guarantee program works!  Speaking only for myself, I always book specific stateroom categories and stateroom numbers.  So no, I'm not "taking a chance". Your analogy isn't even close. 

I've never heard of anyone booking a guarantee and getting an assigned stateroom number. How is that a guarantee booking? Doesn't make sense.  If Celebrity didn't follow their own policy wouldn't that have been easily resolved with the supervisor that listened to the recorded phone call? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cruiseerf said:

Hello Zitsky:   The category of "Guarantee" is when you are booking "Guaranteed space" onboard the ship as well as Guaranteed "Class of cabin or HIGHER".   For example.  IF you book a Sunset Guarantee and the cruiseline cannot honor this, then in the terms and conditions, they must provide you a cabin of a "higher" level.   Guarantees, depending on category you book can be the worst placement in that category, like balcony, but with partially obstructed view.....or a connecting room.  These are undesirable for most, however the guarantee can and often works in everyones favour.  ALSO, once your cabin is assigned as a guarantee, you are still able to change that cabin if another you prefer is available.   In this case, Celebrity made the mistake and Celebrity needs to stand up and fix it.   I would personally write a letter to LLP (president of celebrity) as she is tough, but she doesn't like to see her passengers given the run around when Celebrity has clearly dropped the ball.  Let me also be clear....AT NO TIME and in NO Terms And Conditions does it eve say a Guarantee can provide you a lower cabin category.   This is a sales Snafu....and sales wants her to go away, this Person should fight this to the top.   Right is right and she is correct that she is being treated poorly.  

I’d never ever book a guarantee cabin.  

• Like 1

Thank you to those of you who have given me their support.  I have booked guarantee staterooms in the past when we wanted to go on a last minute cruise and Celebrity has had a fire sale.  I was given a cabin on the Summit down a corridor that I didn’t even know existed so far forward we actually lost weight because of all the walking. We had a great time.  I just love to cruise.

This is not the case.  We don’t like IV staterooms.  It’s just how we roll.  I don’t want to pay top dollar for a room I consider a glorified window.  It’s also the deep disappointment I feel for a company I have been very loyal to.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

Did the Op ask for an email confirmation to review before they  ended the call?  IDK didn’t unless I missed it.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I know exactly how the guarantee program works!  Speaking only for myself, I always book specific stateroom categories and stateroom numbers.  So no, I'm not "taking a chance". Your analogy isn't even close. 

I've never heard of anyone booking a guarantee and getting an assigned stateroom number. How is that a guarantee booking? Doesn't make sense.  If Celebrity didn't follow their own policy wouldn't that have been easily resolved with the supervisor that listened to the recorded phone call? 

Where did the OP say they were upset because they didn’t get a cabin number? They were clear about knowing they were in a guarantee category with no cabin number when they get off the phone with the agent with the expectation that cabin number would be assigned sometime later. They were upset because they wound up being put in a lower category which violates the guarantee policy. And that is what my analogy was saying. Celebrity can do whatever they want with a cabin. Just because you book and get a cabin number doesn’t mean they will necessarily honor that in the end if they run into some overbook situation or something. Now they will offer you a full refund of course or incentives to move to a different cruise and that’s what they did to the OP; they offered a full refund. But the problem is Celebrity did not follow through on the guarantee program (for whatever reason) and gave the OP something they did not agree to when booking, just as in my analogy the cruise line could put you in something you didn’t agree to when booking. And while my example is rare it does happen on occasion as people have complained here on Cruise Critic about being bumped from their confirmed cabin. In either case, the OP’s situation or my analogy, the customer has a right to be upset and complain. But you and at least one other here are basically saying they have no right to complain because they booked a guarantee and so you get what you get, which is just not how the guarantee program works.

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cruiser61262 said:

Thank you to those of you who have given me their support.  I have booked guarantee staterooms in the past when we wanted to go on a last minute cruise and Celebrity has had a fire sale.  I was given a cabin on the Summit down a corridor that I didn’t even know existed so far forward we actually lost weight because of all the walking. We had a great time.  I just love to cruise.

This is not the case.  We don’t like IV staterooms.  It’s just how we roll.  I don’t want to pay top dollar for a room I consider a glorified window.  It’s also the deep disappointment I feel for a company I have been very loyal to.

Understand but you rolled the dice, didn’t work as you had hoped.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Where did the OP say they were upset because they didn’t get a cabin number? They were clear about knowing they were in a guarantee category with no cabin number when they get off the phone with the agent with the expectation that cabin number would be assigned sometime later. They were upset because they wound up being put in a lower category which violates the guarantee policy. And that is what my analogy was saying. Celebrity can do whatever they want with a cabin. Just because you book and get a cabin number doesn’t mean they will necessarily honor that in the end if they run into some overbook situation or something. Now they will offer you a full refund of course or incentives to move to a different cruise and that’s what they did to the OP; they offered a full refund. But the problem is Celebrity did not follow through on the guarantee program (for whatever reason) and gave the OP something they did not agree to when booking, just as in my analogy the cruise line could put you in something you didn’t agree to when booking. And while my example is rare it does happen on occasion as people have complained here on Cruise Critic about being bumped from their confirmed cabin. In either case, the OP’s situation or my analogy, the customer has a right to be upset and complain. But you and at least one over here are basically saying they have no right to complain because they booked a guarantee and so you get what you get, which is just not how the guarantee program works.

Nonsense 

5 minutes ago, cruiser61262 said:

Good luck to you. I hope it works out. Maybe see if Celebrity could at least waitlist you in the Sunset Veranda category with full refund possibility? If your payment is due in January I assume your cruise is in April so that does give time for a cancel to come through. And please just ignore the negative Nancy’s here. There are some with much too much time on their hands who just love to argue for the sake of arguing. 

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1