Bring your Own Bar Snacks

Hlitner

Last evening we had a friendly discussion with some passengers and staff while sitting at a bar on the Enchanted.  Princess no longer provides any bar snacks.  No peanuts, no mixed nuts, no pretzels, no nothing.  It obviously has nothing to do with COVID since there are the usual treats in the daily Elite/Platinum cocktail event.  So the conclusion is that Princess passengers must now pack their own selection of bar treats and drag them along to the bars.  Princess can obviously no longer afford to provide bar snacks or nightly chocolates so the company needs our help.  Before our next Princess cruise we will visit Costco and purchase some nuts, pretzels and perhaps chips.  So come on folks and support your favorite cruise line by bringing your own snacks.

Hank

• Haha 5

Guess it could be ship specific.  But no bar snacks on the Enchanted even if you ask.  One bar tender did suggest that one could use the app to order potato chips to be delivered by room service.  We did find that item on our app and might give it a try.  There are no nuts on the app :).

We have a theory.  Bar snacks are generally salty and intended to get folks to order more drinks.  But now with many having drink packages they no longer want to encourage folks to order more drinks?  Perhaps.

i just remembered that there is a frequent cruiser guy known as the “Candy Man” who always walks around with large bags of candy bars which he gives to any crew member in the neighborhood.  On my next Princess cruise perhaps I will bring little packets of nuts to give out at the bars.   We did hear one other passenger say she would bring lots of chocolates on a future cruise to donate to the cabin stewards so they could leave them on pillows.  I have also thought about bringing a bag of onions to donate to the galley so they could add them to Omelets served in the MDR at breakfast (only have ham and cheese or mushrooms).  Come on folks, Princess truly needs our help :).

Hank

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Guess it could be ship specific.  But no bar snacks on the Enchanted even if you ask.  One bar tender did suggest that one could use the app to order potato chips to be delivered by room service.  We did find that item on our app and might give it a try.  There are no nuts on the app :).

We have a theory.  Bar snacks are generally salty and intended to get folks to order more drinks.  But now with many having drink packages they no longer want to encourage folks to order more drinks?  Perhaps.

i just remembered that there is a frequent cruiser guy known as the “Candy Man” who always walks around with large bags of candy bars which he gives to any crew member in the neighborhood.  On my next Princess cruise perhaps I will bring little packets of nuts to give out at the bars.   We did hear one other passenger say she would bring lots of chocolates on a future cruise to donate to the cabin stewards so they could leave them on pillows.  I have also thought about bringing a bag of onions to donate to the galley so they could add them to Omelets served in the MDR at breakfast (only have ham and cheese or mushrooms).  Come on folks, Princess truly needs our help :).

Hank

We had the drink package on our Regal cruises. It seemed as soon as our glasses got a little low there was a server asking if we wanted another. At first I thought it was just good service, but soon remembered the drink package includes the service charge. We were definitely encouraged to order more drinks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have also thought about bringing a bag of onions to donate to the galley so they could add them to Omelets served in the MDR at breakfast (only have ham and cheese or mushrooms).  Come on folks, Princess truly needs our help :).

Could the lack of onions be due to the recent massive recall due to cases of salmonella?   Maybe vendors are having difficulties filling orders? From CNN on November 21st:  https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/20/us/onions-recall-salmonella/index.html

I can't remember how many time I've seen people dump a handful of those nuts in one hand, select what they wanted & pour the rest back in the bottle.

I'm almost certain they didn't dispose of all those half empty bottles later on. 

Perhaps handing out small individual packets would be the answer. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Could the lack of onions be due to the recent massive recall due to cases of salmonella?   Maybe vendors are having difficulties filling orders? From CNN on November 21st:  https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/20/us/onions-recall-salmonella/index.html

No, plenty of onions in the Lido and other dishes in the MDR.  The MDR breakfast menu simply has a limited number of items such as no waffles and a very limited number of egg/omelet dishes.  But the Lido does have the usual vast selection and ability to get customized omelets.  This is nothing new on Princess.  We always thought it strange that Eggs Benedict is alway available on the lunch/brunch menu in the MDR (on sea days) but not generally available in the breakfast menu.

Hank

You can make your own trail mix from the salad bar on the ship. Go to the salad bar and ask for the nuts and dried fruit toppings for the salad. On the Sky Princess there were walnuts, hazel nuts and pecans as well as sunflower seeds, dried pineapple and dried mango. Ask for a bowl and scoops of what ever you want in your mix minus any salad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Last evening we had a friendly discussion with some passengers and staff while sitting at a bar on the Enchanted.  Princess no longer provides any bar snacks.  No peanuts, no mixed nuts, no pretzels, no nothing.  It obviously has nothing to do with COVID since there are the usual treats in the daily Elite/Platinum cocktail event.  So the conclusion is that Princess passengers must now pack their own selection of bar treats and drag them along to the bars.  Princess can obviously no longer afford to provide bar snacks or nightly chocolates so the company needs our help.  Before our next Princess cruise we will visit Costco and purchase some nuts, pretzels and perhaps chips.  So come on folks and support your favorite cruise line by bringing your own snacks.

Hank

Those jars of nuts are a "high touch" item by everyone; thus a covid problem

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jwattle said:

that and I don't want  nuts after someone else touched em'

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 5

Oh well, we've long taken a large bag of almonds onboard for just this purpose.  The Princess bar mix never much interested me, too much wasabi, not enough of anything else.  

Once though, and only once, we had garlic hazelnuts in Crooners on CB - sounds nuts - but was spectacular, a few cloves of roasted garlic and a slight garlic flavor on the nuts themselves.  At the time we were told that catering delivered 100x the ordered quantity of hazel nuts which gave the chef the challenge of making them disappear, we did our upmost to assist!

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have also thought about bringing a bag of onions to donate to the galley so they could add them to Omelets served in the MDR at breakfast (only have ham and cheese or mushrooms).  Come on folks, Princess truly needs our help :).

Have you ever asked your waiter if they could find some onions to throw into your omelette?

It seems like a simple request.

3 hours ago, jwattle said:

It could also have to do with nut allergies. If someone gets the oils on their hands from eating them and touches the bar, if someone with a severe enough allergy touches the oils it could cause them to get extremely sick.

Edited by mjmalino
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I can't remember how many time I've seen people dump a handful of those nuts in one hand, select what they wanted & pour the rest back in the bottle.

I'm almost certain they didn't dispose of all those half empty bottles later on. 

Perhaps handing out small individual packets would be the answer. 

🤢 That is just disgusting.  Cruise Foul!