Symphony - terrible / no shows / Covid ?

danielwje1

17 minutes ago, Beach710 said:

I think you you pay for a product that includes entertainment you are entitled to it! 

Some  folks believe they should be entertained regardless of nature and extent of issues  .  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think part of the problem is with the illusion that RCI is presently selling. Maybe they should step away from typical marketing and be up front about what expectations should be. In the long run it is better to risk loosing some bookings up front than to have disappointed customers.

While I agree with you concerning first time or inexperienced cruisers, don't you think that those who have been around the block a few times should know that anything  is possible right now and if you cruise, expect the unexpected?

(I didn't see your comment about compensation before I posted this - if major entertainment venues are closed, then yes, I agree something should be done about that.)

Edited by mek
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, mek said:

While I agree with you concerning first time or inexperienced cruisers, don't you think that those who have been around the block a few times should know that anything  is possible right now and if you cruise, expect the unexpected?

Of course I do. But people have, for right or wrong, become weary of the situation and frustrated and I think that leads them to wrongly grasp at the illusion being sold. I've been on ships when shows were canceled (for me the only reason to be on an O class ship) due to weather, mechanical issues, ports changed or skipped, etc. Yes, it is part of cruising. We all know that. We grumble a little and settle back down.

However, the cruise lines are stating that health and saftey comes first. And when something goes wrong they jump on that bandwagon as the reason. Yet they sell the ship to a level where it is blatently obvious that it isn't true. Pictures don't lie. They sell to a level that they know, ahead of time, is likely to alter the experience in ways that experienced cruisers are likely not going to be happy with and newbies will simply be chased away. I have a cruise booked for January. How can I set my expectations when I have no idea what booking level that cruise will sail at? Is is right to say that I should either be willing to accept whatever I find when I arrive or I shouldn't go? Maybe, but that is hardly a way for a company to sell a product.

I don't have all the answers. I never had aspirations to be a cruise line CEO. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm on this now and this is different than normal cancelations due to weather or mechanical issues.  There are a massive amount of cancelations and most were known before we sailed and Royal didn't notify anyone.  The Covid cases that closed the shows started 2 sailings ago and continued last sailing.   They could have informed everyone and let everyone make a decision on whether they wanted to cruise. 

And I don't understand the posts commenting on it being a Christmas cruise so we should expect this.  This is my 4th Oasis class cruise and they were all at capacity.  I never had any delays until this cruise.  There was a big rush to increase capacity and the current protocols (which I agree with)  don't support the crowd levels.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

(I didn't see your comment about compensation before I posted this - if major entertainment venues are closed, then yes, I agree something should be done about that.)

Broadway was closed for a year. I don't know why an experienced cruiser couldn't comprehend that this could be a possibility on a cruise ship.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Heck, you can do that a home, do you really have to spend that kind of money to do it? Cruising right now just isn't worth it for the product you are getting.

I have been social distancing since 3/2020, I am going stir crazy and want to get out of the house. So yes I can watch Netflix but since I live in AR I can’t watch the ocean go by.

I want someone else to cook my dinner, sick of food delivery.

I want someone else to make my bed.

Finally my DD and I need time away from each other since we have been socially distancing together since 2020.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Broadway was closed for a year. I don't know why an experienced cruiser couldn't comprehend that this could be a possibility on a cruise ship.   

Broadway theatres refunded your tickets if  they couldn’t put on the show you paid for.

Royal just expect you to suck it up and put it down to Covid.

I get that things will, by necessity, change at short notice in the current climate.

But when Royal isn’t delivering the experience it advertised, and isn’t compensating guests for parts of the experience they’ve paid for, I consider that a problem.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gumshoe958 said:

But when Royal isn’t delivering the experience it advertised, and isn’t compensating guests for parts of the experience they’ve paid for, I consider that a problem.

The folks on Odyssey seem to have gotten some compensation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Cruisers need to stop playing the we didn't know card.  Nobody said covid was over. It's been 2yrs now and this virus has only changed for the worst becoming more contagious. Yes the symptoms for the vaccinated are not life threatening but they still need to make the appropriate changes to accommodate the virus.  There have been more than enough opportunity for refunds. If you can't deal with the possible changes that may occur then  you are not ready to cruise. We may not be done with this virus until we have gone through the entire Greek alphabet.

Hairspray was cancelled on my Dec 4 Symphony cruise due to a mishap on the previous cruise. I got lucky imo.

Edit: the rest of the shows were A+++...OP is missing out for sure.

Edited by RoyalC
  • Like 1

Just now, gumshoe958 said:

Broadway theatres refunded your tickets if  they couldn’t put on the show you paid for.

Royal just expect you to suck it up and put it down to Covid.

I get that things will, by necessity, change at short notice in the current climate.

You agreed to the contract, things happen, so they are doing the best they can in this pandemic, everyone is.  Even during hurricane season, things don't always go the way cruisers want it, but they suck it up.  You obviously don't agree with what you consider transparency, but they are doing things within reasons and without trying to cause panic on the ship with some people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think it's a bigger question than that.  Broadway wasn't selling tickets and canceling when you showed up.   This cruise wasn't cheap.  The question is how much can they take away from what was advertised without compensation.   I haven't went to guest services and complained and probably will not.  I will enjoy being away but it will make me rethink Royal because I think this happening more here than other lines.

• Like 1

The bottom line is, everyone has to make their decisions as to how they spend their travel dollars.  There are those on this site that will criticize the cruise lines for all the COVID related disruptions and how they should’ve handled things.  Personally, I believe they’re doing their best to survive.  There are some who say they’ll not cruise again, and maybe they won’t.  But there are plenty of people eager to get to cruising even with the bumps we’re seeing.

3 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

Cruising with my girlfriend for the first time. I am a long time Royal cruise but my gf’s first time on a cruise ship. 

we’re onboard Symphony for Christmas. It appears that there’s no production or water shows all cruise (although they haven’t been very transparent about this), just not in the schedules. 

we also could only book anytime dining for 8:15pm. Turned up last night and had to wait in line for 25 minutes before being seated. Extremely crowded. We were seated next to a family with about 10cm between the tables. It felt awkwardly close and not very private. My girlfriend says it’s like a zoo onboard. 

im so disappointed since we paid quite a price premium for symphony and can’t even see any of the shows. My girlfriend also wonders why I’ve been saying I enjoy cruises. If you were in my position, what would you do? Should I complain? 

We also had Vision OTS pull up next to us at Coco Cay and transfer around 100 crew members to Symphony. I can only assume many of the crew have Covid and they’re understaffed? 

I wish Royal Caribbean and the cruise Director would be more honest about what’s going on onboard. If many of the cast have Covid and many of the waiter have Covid, I think being transparent and open would create more trust. 

0419F2E1-2567-4054-AD4F-76AF1B112639.jpeg

You hit the nail on the head.  It is reported (ship life- YouTube) that a lot of their staff have covid and they have asymptomatic crew members working because they are so short staffed.  We hope they are working in areas were they can't contaminate anyone.  Glad to hear they are getting additional crew members to help.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

The previous cruise to yours, the projection screen fell down mid show, I am hoping I can see it. It’s a great show.

That is what I heard. The CD did not say during the Q&A but that is what I read also. It fell behind the curtain right? Was anyone hurt? I heard someone might have been but that was one post on CC.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Hairspray was cancelled on my Dec 4 Symphony cruise due to a mishap on the previous cruise. I got lucky imo.

Edit: the rest of the shows were A+++...OP is missing out for sure.

On @John&LaLalive on oasis cruise I think some shows were canc due to covid as well. It's been happening and will continue to happen. We all love shows, but covid happens. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tcneal said:

I think it's a bigger question than that.  Broadway wasn't selling tickets and canceling when you showed up.   This cruise wasn't cheap.  The question is how much can they take away from what was advertised without compensation.   I haven't went to guest services and complained and probably will not.  I will enjoy being away but it will make me rethink Royal because I think this happening more here than other lines.

actually. Yes they were.  the Rockets cancelled shows 30 minutes before was to start.  Same as 

https://www.newsweek.com/broadway-show-canceled-last-minute-audience-seats-due-covid-case-company-1660640

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

You agreed to the contract, things happen, so they are doing the best they can in this pandemic, everyone is.  Even during hurricane season, things don't always go the way cruisers want it, but they suck it up.  You obviously don't agree with what you consider transparency, but they are doing things within reasons and without trying to cause panic on the ship with some people.

Booking ships at close to full capacity is the cruise lines doing all they can? And how many people have posted about people packed together in the MDR.🤔

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ptroxx said:

actually. Yes they were.  the Rockets cancelled shows 30 minutes before was to start.  Same as 

https://www.newsweek.com/broadway-show-canceled-last-minute-audience-seats-due-covid-case-company-1660640

Sorry.  Meant to say cancelled without refunding your money.   I don't think any show said Sorry, it was your risk.  We all know the risks sailing now.  My point was how much can they take away without  compensation.  I don't think they changed any advertising for Oasis class ships.  They are still listing shows as features that people are paying for.  I didn't see a Covid discount on my booking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tcneal said:

They are advertising what is offered under normal circumstances. These aren't normal times and people need to wake up and realize this. Shows and ports are canceled on good days. Northstar wasn't  operating for the week that I was on Anthem back in 2019 due to mechanical issues. We had reservations but it never even crossed my mind that it was misrepresented in the marketing campaign.   

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, traceytd said:

This has no relations to this post but only to the photo. LOL

I was just wondering why people are all wearing warm clothes? (Long sleeve shirts, sweat pants and even sweaters)

Where is this cruise sailing?

Sorry your disappointed in the cruise. Don’t give up on cruising. I has to get better eventually. 😎👍

These people were wearing that on formal night!!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They are advertising what is offered under normal circumstances. These aren't normal times and people need to wake up and realize this.

Suppose you bought the UDP but the specialty restaurants had to close due to Covid-related staff shortages and they didn’t refund you. Would that be acceptable?

• Like 3