Do not Board - Currently on the Symphony of the Seas 8 day Holiday Cruise

Gissi6

Hi everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, and have gotten so much advice from reading posts from this forum over the year, so this is my attempt at giving back. 

Is Christmas day and I wasn’t expecting to be doing this but, is important for me to warn others.

I’m a long time cruiser, been on the Allure, Harmony and this week boarded the Symphony to introduce my fiancé to  cruising. My mistake!

He is having a good time overall, but we are bored out of our minds.

This is what we are currently dealing with, and this is a warning for others that are

on edge about cancelling their cruises. 

NO Aquatheather shows at all

NO Broadway shows

NO Latin Band or music whatsoever in Boleros

NO Parades (expected)

NO Dazzles

NO other clubs aka. the Attic (usual late venue)

NO On Air activities 

NO Sailaway party - we departed very late due to 2hr push on everyone’s check-in time for enhanced cleaning 

Entertainment is extremely thin, only Comedy shows, Headliners and the Ice Skating shows. I’ve visited guest services to complain and they say the entire entertainment crew is quarantined due close contact in prior sailing.

I understand the situation and I boarded expecting changes, but this is extreme. I haven’t visited the kids areas but, heard a mother having similar complaints due to kids/teens entertainment being closed. 

We’ve asked guest services to be allowed to disembark in Puerto Rico 4 days early and we are waiting on a reply. It seems to be against protocol so wish me luck… This will request if fulfilled is without any promise of a refund for the days unused. So it is completely on my expense.

This is my warning to others, do not board. Is not worth the risk/reward analysis. IMO

Happy to answer any other questions you have while I’m in the ship. I don’t have tons to do at night other than having dinner… 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

The full statement sent out by Royal Caribbean regarding this new change can be read below:

“Royal Caribbean will no longer allow cruise passengers to pre-plan early debark or late embarkation for any of our ships. As many countries continue to enforce travel restrictions, this decision was made in an abundance of caution for the safety and security of our guests. Should guests who reserved flights through our Air2Sea program experience delays in air travel that result in missed cruise embarkation, downlining to a future port-of-call remains an option as long as the guest is fully vaccinated and able to show proof of required COVID-19 test results prior to boarding.”

I know this is your opinion, but you gotta chill.

You do realize that many people don't care about all that, it's the getting away and being at sea.  Many go away to beaches just to relax and not have a carry in the world to deal with for a week.  If they only went away because of shows, they would be in a world of trouble years ago when there weren't all those activities.

Most of the people who were infected will probably be released from quarantine after 10 days, so, things will be looking up since this is a mild infection.

Edited by Plum Happy
  • Like 20

Your title is a little over the top and designed to get people to read it.  But, it doesn't mean everyone will share your opinion.  There are many people just happy to be on a ship.  Not everyone is looking to be doing something 24/7, but are happy to relax, read,  meet people, just be at sea.  Also, as pp said, what exactly is the surprise?

As far as sail away parties, pretty sure they hadn't restarted those even before this latest outbreak.  Shows vary due to performers being quarantined.  

• Like 20

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You will get roasted for any criticism you have so be prepared. Everyone enjoys their cruise in their own way and I am sure others will thank you for your views when making the decision whether to sail. Good luck on the rest of your cruise. Like others have said getting off the ship early will be a challenge. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

I really don’t understand all the complaints as though it is a big surprise that cruising is different right now.

Because, in Royal’s own words, “Royal Caribbean International® sets the cruise industry standard with dazzling, full-scale productions, every night on every cruise”.

It’s not delivering what it’s promised, and not giving any compensation to the many, many people who choose Royal for the quality of its entertainment.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Because, in Royal’s own words, “Royal Caribbean International® sets the cruise industry standard with dazzling, full-scale productions, every night on every cruise”.

It’s not delivering what it’s promised, and not giving any compensation to the many, many people who choose Royal for the quality of its entertainment.

Is that why you are cruising?  The shows?  Not the get away from everything at home and chill?  No beds to be made, no food to prepare or the cleanup?  Tropical sun hitting your face or body?  Time away to read that book you always wanted?

The full production shows is why you chose to cruise?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Is that why you are cruising?  The shows?  Not the get away from everything at home and chill?  No beds to be made, no food to prepare or the cleanup?  Tropical sun hitting your face or body?  Time away to read that book you always wanted?

The full production shows is why you chose to cruise?

I choose to cruise with Royal for the shows, yes. (And the food)

Any cruise line can give me the rest.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 14

9 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You will get roasted for any criticism you have so be prepared. Everyone enjoys their cruise in their own way and I am sure others will thank you for your views when making the decision whether to sail. Good luck on the rest of your cruise. Like others have said getting off the ship early will be a challenge. 

Unfortunate for the OP. It sounds like their 2021 cruising experience transitioned from a slow or shoulder season to the BUSIEST time of the year. Everyone that cruises KNOWS that the first two weeks after the Thanksgiving holiday cruise are significantly different than the last two weeks of this month during the Christmas and New Year’s cruises. It’s why I always have cruised that first week of December and NEVER during the holidays. I’d been reading CC religiously since I booked my December Anthem of the Seas cruise back in early August. All of the warnings were there. And they have been getting worse. People had the opportunity to cancel. They chose not to and plowed ahead expecting a “normal” experience. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Totally agree with you.  Having been on Symphony in October with such reduced capacity,  everything was so boring.  I enjoy the energy from all the excited and happy people.  Everything was quite and sad since you can not see if someone was smiling or not.

This is like a horror movie.

We have a back to back scheduled in June which we will cancel if this is still the case.  I can not imagine 2 weeks of walking zombies

4 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

For me if I wanted entertainment, I would have gone to Las Vegas.

Love their shows and food.

Enjoy your cruise.

Maybe they wanted both which is a big selling point for cruises. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Maitaivegas said:

For me if I wanted entertainment, I would have gone to Las Vegas.

Love their shows and food.

Enjoy your cruise.

Don’t come here.  Shows are being canceled here too. Lol.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

We were on the Symphony in October and yes there were only about 2400 pax but it was great, no lines, got to see everything we wanted to and was able to see Flight the first week it was back.

We were never bored the entire time, it was a great cruise and will be sailing again in February on Allure. We will enjoy it no matter what.

• Like 1

We have been on 5 cruises this year and have experienced most of what the OP has experienced to various degrees on every cruise. I think the big difference is we expected cruises to be significantly different because of the pandemic while the OP expected their cruise to be similar to cruises prior to the pandemic. I agree with the OP that now is not the time to cruise if you expect a cruise to be even remotely close to cruises in the past. However, if simply being at sea is appealing, cruising can still be fun. My wife and I have 9 cruises booked in 2022, so it should be obvious how we feel about the current state of cruising. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4